Skipping Kaplan Classes...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raom_dtpi

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I joined kaplan 3 weeks ago. I find the class room lectures to be useless. I am so disapponted. I knew they wouldn't be great but not this basic. All subjects are taught by one person, who has taken mcat a couple of years ago. If you have the kaplan comprehensive review book, that's pretty much what is being covered in class- Passage after passage. Anything outside of the passage is not talked about. I can cover more material studying at home. The big advantage are the tests available in the center.

Does anyone share the same thoughts? Are there any particular lectures worth attending? thanks!

Scout

Members don't see this ad.

I agree but I guess what else can they do right? I suggest going to the ones in the subject material that you really didn't understand on your own. Again not for the purpose of the lecturer being able to better enlighten to awesome lengths you but maybe you can ask questions or something and he/she will be able to at least guide you in the right way. Also if you don't attend classes you aren't qualified for the higher score gaurntee so if that's an issue be sure to look into it. ANd try to know the lecturer we have two in my kaplan class and one's an ace at physicis and the other awesome in bio so if you get their strenghts you can really benefit. hope that helps good luck

I shared your same sentiments when I first began Kaplan in Nov.
'03....

The lectures were quite boring, and everything done/stated by my instructor was either directly from the review books or from the lesson book.....3 hours of complete ueselessness!

After a while, i changed classes b/c i thought the problem was with the instructor..i switched into another class and now, we still pretty much do the same thing that was done in my other class...except my new instructor often asks us challenging questions that are NOT in the book...he makes us THINK.. this is what makes the class more tolerable..

In general, however, I don't like going to class....I agree with you that more can be covered at home than in class!

I'm thinking that perhaps each section shouldn't be taught by the same person (as each person has their own strengths, weaknesses). Perhaps if they changed teachers for each subject, the class would be a bit better...

Kaplan's resources are phenomenal, and perhaps the resources, and not the teaching, is what we are paying for when we cough up $1449 for the course...

When I took the kaplan classes, each subject was taught by a different person. The physical sciences by a chemical engineer, biological science by a med student, and verbal by a retired lawyer. All of whom were pretty good and did touch on things outside of the books. I geuss it really depends on who you get.

Members don't see this ad :)
What cities were you guys taking classes in? I think it's best to shop around a bit and find a teacher that's good. If you're enrolled in a Kaplan course, then you can go to any Kaplan class in the country.

I honestly think you can do fine by simply using their library. If you need help with a certain section, their videos are pretty good and are substitutes for class.

Originally posted by hamhamfan
I honestly think you can do fine by simply using their library. If you need help with a certain section, their videos are pretty good and are substitutes for class.
agreed. of course that strategy landed me a 22L...

The issue is not whether you have a different person for each subject; it is whether you have a good teacher for each subject.

A good teacher will go beyond the class notes to clarify confusing areas, will tie together related concepts from different subject areas, and will help you become more productive by telling you what you really need to know and what is useless (e.g. ray tracing in optics, unless you have had a ton of practice at it already).

Also, a good teacher can look at your test scores and strategy and make specific recommendations to help improve your weak areas.

Keep asking for what you need. You paid the $$$; you are the client. You deserve your money's worth.

Kaplan classes sucked, but I really appreciated the subject, full length, etc. tests that they had. Those were so incredibly helpful I didn't really feel cheated on the price even though I went to class twice.

For sure, Kaplan classes are pointless. Almost all of the MCAT teachers are inexperienced teachers who've taken their MCAT recently and teach for the year they go to med school. Waste of $.

Just get your hands on the practice tests and books. That's what I did and I did well enough to be offered a MCAT teaching job. I couldn't do it though, I just don't think those classes are a good use of anyone's $. I'm sure if you are having problems with any material you can get plenty of help from friends.

i don't necessarily agree that the classes are a waste of time. it really depends on your teacher. i teach for mcat and not only is it rewarding and enjoyable on my end, but i know my students are getting a lot out of the personalized attention and someone who can help inspire the "aha" moments. i'm really able to work w/my students and explain answers as we go along in class - w/a class size of 3-5, it's a great pace and i think most of the class finds it useful.

don't unecessarily discount the classes. for some, it may not be the best format; for others it's valuable and helpful.

I agree that the teaching in the classes may have been poor... but I thought the classes were excellent in that they forced me to actually confront the material I was going to have to study. Additionally, they got my lazy ass to the Kaplan center, where I would take the topical exams and what-not to my heart's content (often in lieu of the actual classes). I say go to the class... be bored, perhaps... but let the information soak into your half-conscious psyche. worked for me!

Also, seriously take advantage of the fact that you can do the topical tests online! I had no idea you could do that, and I think I would have done about a hundred more had I known I could have done them whenever i had twenty minutes to burn.

best of luck

I too was enrolled in the Kaplan class... but my piercing foresight made it clear as bird**** in your eye that the class would be useless and I should try to make off with all the materials. So I concocted a masterplan to go to my Kaplan center, mask over face/pull out my .38 special/ "on the floor babe.. where do you hide the resources/what?/the practice materials/um I'm sorry I have to see your personalized KaplanID/pop/light stick of dynamite and throw at cabinet with suspected practice tests/duck under counter to make sure all limbs remain intact for mcat test(and maybe neurology later on)/boom/screams!/I quickly run over to get my hands on the precious before anyone else comes to their senses/view charred remains of possible mcat tests/screeeming-I can't take it!

Fortunately I cancelled w/in 3 weeks.

Originally posted by ssingh0
I too was enrolled in the Kaplan class... but my piercing foresight made it clear as bird**** in your eye that the class would be useless and I should try to make off with all the materials. So I concocted a masterplan to go to my Kaplan center, mask over face/pull out my .38 special/ "on the floor babe.. where do you hide the resources/what?/the practice materials/um I'm sorry I have to see your personalized KaplanID/pop/light stick of dynamite and throw at cabinet with suspected practice tests/duck under counter to make sure all limbs remain intact for mcat test(and maybe neurology later on)/boom/screams!/I quickly run over to get my hands on the precious before anyone else comes to their senses/view charred remains of possible mcat tests/screeeming-I can't take it!

Fortunately I cancelled w/in 3 weeks.

"ding dong!" ...did someone order some emotional instability? hmm.... I swear this is the right adress... must've been a prank call...