Skype Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

IDKUsername

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know of someone who matched with a program based on a Skype interview? Had one today, really enjoyed speaking with them and the conversation felt easy, but it still seemed so impersonal. Obviously it’s just not the same as speaking in person. Hard to tell if they will really be able to remember me. Thoughts?
 
Does anyone know of someone who matched with a program based on a Skype interview? Had one today, really enjoyed speaking with them and the conversation felt easy, but it still seemed so impersonal. Obviously it’s just not the same as speaking in person. Hard to tell if they will really be able to remember me. Thoughts?

I’m going to answer my own question, just in case it will help applicants next year. I matched in phase II based on a phone interview, so yes, it is possible to be remembered by a place that has not met you in person.
 
I’m going to answer my own question, just in case it will help applicants next year. I matched in phase II based on a phone interview, so yes, it is possible to be remembered by a place that has not met you in person.
I matched with a program based on a 30 minute phone interview. It is possible!
 
Not speaking from a residency perspective, but both my wife and I have gotten jobs from a Skype interview. My feeling is that organizations in larger cities are more comfortable with hiring people based on video interviews. Smaller places tend to only interview local candidates after all, while the desirable locations are used to seeking employees nationwide.