Dinners before PGY-2 interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

someonesomething

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine who applied for PGY-2s last year said it was common for her to get dinner with some of the preceptors/residents the night before her interviews. Is this common through all PGY-2 specialities? Is this even common at all? Do they invite all of their interviewees for the next day?

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed for PGY-2s in 2011 - Hopkins was the only place where I experienced the night before dinner.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
One of my interviews had dinner the night before, one had dinner the night of the interview day (which was weird), others didn't have anything. Just depends.

Members don't see this ad :)
Both of the Florida programs I interviewed at (pgy2 and fellowship) did a night of the interview dinner afterwards

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

They're pretty common. I want to say I had 80% offer dinner with current residents/RPD/coordinator. My current program will be hosting dinner as well. They serve as a good time for candidates to interact with current residents. They're also a good time to determine if a candidate is weird or not...

Reactions: 1 user