Sleep conflict

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by jaf004, 09.25.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. jaf004

jaf004 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    So, first off, I have always been a productive night time individual. I guess procrastinating in college has made me this way, because I would wait till like 5 or 6 PM and then study till like 3 AM and then still do fine. (There were even 2 lab practicals in advanced anatomy that I got a perfect 100 on and I studied till like 4 AM)

But I just signed up for the DAT on the 22nd and its at 8 AM. My last one was at 1 pm and I felt fine for that. I guess I am just looking for advice about how to get on a good sleep schedule now, so when the test gets here I will be fine. I am also worried that starting to get up earlier will hurt my productivity while studying.....

Any tips?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. SXCoronado

SXCoronado 2+ Year Member

Last edited: 08.23.15
  4. mkhan27

mkhan27 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Yea you can schedule your test for later in the day like 1 pm, or 3pm, etc. Or the way I fixed my sleep cycle was by going to bed early. I was studying pretty late. I would start at 12-2 pmish and would go til 4 am. And that was awful because I would go to bed when normally it should be (approximately) the time to actually start your day. So, I said I gotta live a normal life. I set my curfew to turn everything off by 12:30-1 am latest. Most of the time its midnight. It took a few days to fix this because its hard to go to bed early. Just make sure you get up early in the morning ~7-8 or even 9 am to fix the cycle. After a few days you will be able to start to fall asleep at the right time and wake up at the right time.

jaf004 likes this.
  5. Weakfart

Weakfart 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Try to study around that time if you can. I am by no means a morning person and I had my test at 8AM (only available time.) I didn't necessarily wake up around 7 or whatever to study, I just woke up and studied when I felt mentally prepared. The day of the test I looked over stuff before hand to prep myself and I was already wide awake/nervous from driving and eating before the exam.

jaf004 likes this.
  6. jaf004

jaf004 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    this is exactly the situation I am in so I will definitely start turning the alarm back slowly. I don't want to change test dates, so I am going to have to get back to a normal schedule

7. Weakfart

Weakfart 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    There's no doubt in my mind that you'll be awake for the test from all that adrenaline.

jaf004 likes this.

About the ads