Bootcamp and Destroyer Conflict

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moose786

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Test 2 - General Chemistry on Bootcamp asks: "Which of the following pieces of laboratory equipment would be best for a chemist to use to measure 8.7 mL of a solution?"
- Answer is pipet according to Bootcamp.

Destroyer 2016 #234 asks: A student wanted to measure exactly 12.3 ml of a 0.20M NaOH solution. Which should she use?"
-Answer is buret according to Dr. Romano.

Both questions had "buret" and "pipet" listed as options.

According to my prior understanding, the simplest way to think about the difference between the 2 is the key words of "measuring exactly" vs. "transferring". To measure exactly, you should use a buret; to transfer liquids, you should use a pipet.

These questions, at least according to my interpretation, are asking the same thing - what instrument do we use to measure the given volume (exactly). There is no mention of transferring either. Personally, I think that Bootcamp's answer should be buret.

Can anyone offer me input, please? I feel like this is a common lab equipment question, so I really want to get this cleared up. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Test 2 - General Chemistry on Bootcamp asks: "Which of the following pieces of laboratory equipment would be best for a chemist to use to measure 8.7 mL of a solution?"
- Answer is pipet according to Bootcamp.

Destroyer 2016 #234 asks: A student wanted to measure exactly 12.3 ml of a 0.20M NaOH solution. Which should she use?"
-Answer is buret according to Dr. Romano.

Both questions had "buret" and "pipet" listed as options.

According to my prior understanding, the simplest way to think about the difference between the 2 is the key words of "measuring exactly" vs. "transferring". To measure exactly, you should use a buret; to transfer liquids, you should use a pipet.

These questions, at least according to my interpretation, are asking the same thing - what instrument do we use to measure the given volume (exactly). There is no mention of transferring either. Personally, I think that Bootcamp's answer should be buret.

Can anyone offer me input, please? I feel like this is a common lab equipment question, so I really want to get this cleared up. Thank you!

Typically, a burette and pipette are used for different purposes in laboratory procedures. The burette delivers accurate volumes of liquid to another container, such as in a titration. When an analyst titrates two substances, he or she analyzes how much of one substance is needed to make a visually recognizable change in the other substance. Changes in appearance with regard to volume of liquid can be used to calculate concentrations of certain components in the sample substance. Pipettes can also be used in titrations, but as they contain less liquid, and may require refills, the burette is more time efficient. Conversely, because burettes are unwieldy to use, pipettes are the preferred mode of measuring out liquids and delivering the liquids to other containers.

Dr. Romano

Last edited:
You are correct. Pipet is used to transfer a set , known volume of a liquid. Buret is used to measure an unknown volume of a liquid.
Also, during titration experiments when you need to dispense a variable volume of liquid or a set volume of a liquid repeatedly, you would use a buret.
For example: One needs to dispense 20ml, then 10ml, then 5 ml of a liquid. Place 50 ml of a liquid into a buret , set the desired volumes and dispense accordingly.

Hope this helps.
Now I am confused. If you said "Pipet is used to transfer a set , known volume of a liquid. Buret is used to measure an unknown volume of a liquid." then how could he be correct by saying that bootcamps answer should be Buret if he said that on bootcamp "Bootcamp asks: "Which of the following pieces of laboratory equipment would be best for a chemist to use to measure 8.7 mL of a solution?" - the last part that says "use to measure 8.7 mL of a solution" doesn't that mean the chemist knows the known volume of a liquid he needs by saying he needs 8.7ml , so it should thus be Pipet as the answer by your definition ?

- and then going to the destroyer reference, it said "exactly 12.3 ml of a 0.20M NaOH solution" so the words "exactly" were used which then by your definition of when to use a pipet it would mean that the chemist knows the known volume he needs , then the pipet answer would be right again since we know an exact volume ?

Hope to clear up my confusion

Now I am confused. If you said "Pipet is used to transfer a set , known volume of a liquid. Buret is used to measure an unknown volume of a liquid." then how could he be correct by saying that bootcamps answer should be Buret if he said that on bootcamp "Bootcamp asks: "Which of the following pieces of laboratory equipment would be best for a chemist to use to measure 8.7 mL of a solution?" - the last part that says "use to measure 8.7 mL of a solution" doesn't that mean the chemist knows the known volume of a liquid he needs by saying he needs 8.7ml , so it should thus be Pipet as the answer by your definition ?

- and then going to the destroyer reference, it said "exactly 12.3 ml of a 0.20M NaOH solution" so the words "exactly" were used which then by your definition of when to use a pipet it would mean that the chemist knows the known volume he needs , then the pipet answer would be right again since we know an exact volume ?

Hope to clear up my confusion
Typically, a burette and pipette are used for different purposes in laboratory procedures. The burette delivers accurate volumes of liquid to another container, such as in a titration. When an analyst titrates two substances, he or she analyzes how much of one substance is needed to make a visually recognizable change in the other substance. Changes in appearance with regard to volume of liquid can be used to calculate concentrations of certain components in the sample substance. Pipettes can also be used in titrations, but as they contain less liquid, and may require refills, the burette is more time efficient. Conversely, because burettes are unwieldy to use, pipettes are the preferred mode of measuring out liquids and delivering the liquids to other containers.

Dr. Romano