Sleep Medicine Fellowship 2018 start

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anyone know what's going on with the NYU program btw/ or have gotten interviews yet? I heard there were a lot of changes.

Changes happened like 2 years ago, when Mt. Sinai siphoned them dry. Haven't heard anything about interviews though.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard from Northwestern or know what's going on there? I actually haven't heard from any of the Chicago programs - maybe geographical problem...

So far done a few interviews - pretty boring interviews, generic questions, faculty that haven't read my app clearly, and poor organization of the day. That's my reflection when comparing this cycle to the residency interview days. I'm ready to be done.

Not impressed. Sad!

Similar to my experience. Only one program really knew my resume in & out, but it had never-ending panel interviews asking the same things. Interviewed with 2-5 other candidates each time. At all interviews, I bumped into at least one candidate I interviewed with earlier. Tired already.

does anyone know if there's much difference between programs run by neurology vs.pulm crit? would pulm critical trained person feel out of place in neuro run programs (and vice versa)? and does anyone know how competitive it is to get into a program in the big cities (NYC, Boston)? thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know if there's much difference between programs run by neurology vs.pulm crit? would pulm critical trained person feel out of place in neuro run programs (and vice versa)? and does anyone know how competitive it is to get into a program in the big cities (NYC, Boston)? thank you!

No one feels out of place in sleep med.
NYU = neuro
Sinai = pulm/crit
That's as much as I know at this time.

Met someone this week... they had interviewed at NYU recently... so I think the assumption is NYU had sent out interviews at least 3-4 weeks ago.
=/ I was hoping to have heard from them as well.

Also met a number of people who already interviewed at Vandy.

There were definitely a few programs that were more organized than others. But for all of them no interviewer asked me any unique, weird, or unexpected questions.

It's been a while since the last list update.... adding the 2 I mentioned in my earlier post- NYU and Vanderbilt, plus Georgetown.
It definitely seems we have hit mid-season in early September and the invites have started to slow down. Our (super-impressive!) list includes about half of all the programs out there.

Baylor
Beth Israel (Boston)
Boston Uni
Case Western
Cleveland Clinic
Dartmouth (x2)
Drexel (x3)
Duke
Emory
Georgetown
George Wash
Henry Ford
Indiana
Johns Hopkins
Maryland (x2)
MCW
Mt. Sinai (x2)
Norwalk
NYU
Seton Hall (x2)
St. Vincents
Stanford
Stony Brook (x2)
Thomas Jefferson (x3)
Tufts
UCLA
Univ of Chicago
Univ of Mich
Univ of Penn
USC
UT Houston
UTSW
Univ of Wash
Vanderbilt
Wake Forest
Yale

In terms of competitiveness this year... I have been getting mixed signals, there were at least 2 programs where I overheard someone else (ie. the program coordinator or a current resident from that institution) mention there was a huge unexpected influx of applications. But on interviews, I consistently bumped into people I met earlier, which should suggest that the actual pool of applicants isn't that big....

peachy,
the influx of applications may just be at a specific program due to internal applicants etc. Every place I have talked to they are only having 1 or 2 interview days which tells me that the number of applicants hasn't changed significantly from prior years. Good luck matching at the place where you felt was the best fit!.

peachy,
the influx of applications may just be at a specific program due to internal applicants etc. Every place I have talked to they are only having 1 or 2 interview days which tells me that the number of applicants hasn't changed significantly from prior years. Good luck matching at the place where you felt was the best fit!.

All the places I interviewed at, and have IVs at had 4 dates.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

how many interviews are people doing on average? getting nervous since most places seem to only have 1-2spots...

That's going to be a hard question to answer... a competitive applicant will likely have to do less and someone not as competitive will likely have to do more. Idk if there is an "average" applicant that has an "average" number of interviews since there multiple base specialties that can apply to Sleep.

To be on the safe side, I tried to go to every interview I had an invite to, only cancelling those I could not make due to schedule. And every program I visited will eventually be on my rank list somewhere. Maybe it will wind up being too excessive in the end, but I honestly have no clue how competitive my candidacy is, so I'm just doing my best to match somewhere. =)

I wouldn't worry about what everyone else is doing... just concentrate on making the best impression on your interviews, you can't really control anything else.

Friendly reminder to all- register for the NRMP if you haven't already, programs are starting to organize their rank lists!

Good luck y'all!

Reactions: 1 user
how many interviews are people doing on average? getting nervous since most places seem to only have 1-2spots...

Most applicants I've talked to are interviewing between 5-10, probably average 6-7. I personally am scheduled for 9 since I have the flexibility and time, and am taking the opportunity to do some travelling/enjoying the cities I visit. It also depends on if you only applied to small programs with 1-2 spots or the larger ones with 4+ spots.

Has anyone received an interview from St Louis university? Are they participating in the match this year?
Thanks for any info.

I think the chicago programs offer a variety of potentials. Louisville should communicate better with candidates at their program.

I've been in practice in FM for a couple years and had been thinking about a SM fellowship for the past year. I very recently decided that it is what I need to do and I am strongly leaning towards a 2018 start.

This late into the season, is there a point to registering with NRMP and applying through ERAS? From what I have read, the deadlines are all around the corner and most interviews are already done. Do programs consider non-NRMP/ERAS candidates after November 1, but before SOAP? I realize that not having an interview makes things more challenging, though SM tends to have many unfilled spots.

I've been in practice in FM for a couple years and had been thinking about a SM fellowship for the past year. I very recently decided that it is what I need to do and I am strongly leaning towards a 2018 start.

This late into the season, is there a point to registering with NRMP and applying through ERAS? From what I have read, the deadlines are all around the corner and most interviews are already done. Do programs consider non-NRMP/ERAS candidates after November 1, but before SOAP? I realize that not having an interview makes things more challenging, though SM tends to have many unfilled spots.

The way i read the unfilled applicants/positions data on the Sleep Match is that un matched applicants and unfilled programs will both be notified of open positions on the match day. Whether or not that occurs outside of ERAS I dont know. IF i were you, I would call up your local program and just talk to them and see what they say.

The way i read the unfilled applicants/positions data on the Sleep Match is that un matched applicants and unfilled programs will both be notified of open positions on the match day. Whether or not that occurs outside of ERAS I dont know. IF i were you, I would call up your local program and just talk to them and see what they say.

Thank you. There are no SM programs near me, but I can call one up to ask. I think I might register with ERAS and NRMP even so that I can participate in the scramble, even if I don't have a chance to interview. Getting letters in the short time frame will be a challenge, but it should be doable.

anyone interview at montefiore and know what the call and weekend schedules are like?/ if we need to come in on call?

thank you

I am finalizing my rank list now. Didn't think hitting "enter" would be so stressful

remember the rank order list are due at 9pm est on the 18th. not midnight.

Hi, anyone got interview from NYU ?
i just saw today that they withdrew from the match for sleep medicine for 2017.

There are 82 programs with 170 quoted spots which is down two programs but up 4 spots from last year. There were 143 applicants with rank list last year so even with an increase it would have to be by 20% before there are more applicants than spots.

Last edited:
i just saw today that they withdrew from the match for sleep medicine for 2017.

There are 82 programs with 170 quoted spots which is down two programs but up 4 spots from last year. There were 143 applicants with rank list last year so even with an increase it would have to be by 20% before there are more applicants than spots.

if the program quota says 3, does that mean they'll be matchign3 ppl through NRMP? so excluding any people who kinda pre-matched through internal matching etc?
thanks,

if the program quota says 3, does that mean they'll be matchign3 ppl through NRMP? so excluding any people who kinda pre-matched through internal matching etc?
thanks,

Yes according to the "all in policy"
All In Policy: Fellowship Matches
The NRMP All In Policy requires any program participating in the Main Residency Match or Fellowship Matches that have instituted the All In Policy to register and attempt to fill all positions through the Match or another national matching plan.

Sleep medicine has adopted this policy so in theory the internal matching shouldn't happen which is why Stanford and U Mich are on probation. They offered some spots thru the match but not all of theirs. .

At least that is my take on the whole situation.

Sleep medicine has adopted this policy so in theory the internal matching shouldn't happen which is why Stanford and U Mich are on probation. They offered some spots thru the match but not all of theirs.

I was curious about this and reviewed the NRMP violations report.

Their statement for Stanford, "The Sleep Medicine program at Stanford University registered one position in the 2016 Sleep Medicine Fellowship Match for a July 2017 appointment. After Match Day on November 2, 2016, the program attempted to fill 7 additional positions outside the Match. The All In Policy, implemented by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine, requires all Match-participating programs to register and attempt fill all positions in the Match."

And for UM, "In the 2015 Sleep Medicine Match, an applicant matched to the Sleep Medicine program at the University of Michigan Hospitals Ann Arbor. During the application and interview process, the Sleep Medicine program did not ensure the applicant's medical school met the institutions eligibility requirements before the Rank Order List Certification Deadline. Section 4.4 of the Match Participation Agreement for Applicants and Programs states that programs shall act in good faith to provide complete, timely, and accurate information to interviewees and must provide all institutional policies regarding eligibility for appointment to a residency or fellowship position."

It doesn't sound like there's much consequence, example for Stanford: "The Sleep Medicine program at Stanford University will be identified as a Match violator in the NRMPs Registration, Ranking, and Results System (R3) file until 3/7/2018. In addition, notification will be sent to the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education for distribution to the Residency Review Committee for Sleep Medicine and to the American Academy of Sleep Medicine."

Thanks, Mango Tree, was wondering about that..

Remember your rank order lists are due at 9PM EST Tonight. Don't forget to certify before the deadline.

Not sure how many people are still following this thread. Please do post where you match once the results are out so that potential co fellows can get in touch.

Unfortunately i am one of the applicants that did not match. Looking around for openings currently.

I matched. Happy with it. Here's some reflections for future applicants because when I was applying these were hard to find:
  1. Learn about sleep medicine. Be able to speak intelligently about it, understand the basics of OSA, and pick at least one area in sleep that you can spout intelligently about and express interest in exploring further. This whole process may take you 2-3hrs but will pay dividends during interviews.
  2. It's a one year fellowship, no one is expecting you to conduct some amazing research - unless you go to a place that is offering a two year spot. However, they do want to know that you have thought about sleep medicine.
  3. Have an abstract, a case report, a review paper - can be submitted, or working on it, or whatever - related to sleep medicine so you can talk about it.
  4. Look at websites - crappy, poorly maintained websites were reflective of crappy, poorly run unimpressive interview days. UCLA is especially one that comes to mind for having a poor website and interview day that had 2 2hr periods of just sitting around twiddling thumbs, no refreshments, interviewers didn't show up for interview, etc. Stanford day was poorly run as well, although website not bad. U of W website excellent and interview day was also run really well, for example.
  5. Top programs? I'll echo what you see on these boards - whatever is right for you. Again it's a one year fellowship - choose the place where you will interact with nice people, learn a lot every day, get exposure to cutting edge stuff, and be ready to see everything you need --> I found that interview day really did give me a sense of this.
  6. Interviews are super chill, unintimidating, mostly just asking why sleep? How did you get into it? What do you want to do with it? What kind of practice do you want? And then ask you something about your research. No stress happy environment.
  7. I did not find that more preference was given to neuro, psych, pulm/cc, IM or anything after speaking with other applicants - broad mix at each interview.
  8. Having someone make a phone call/email for you to get an interview or for your number one place is okay - that's pretty basic advice, although it's not a must IMO.
  9. How many interviews? As many as you want. I had no idea how competitive I would be so I just went to them all - 10. Probably too many and def way too boring and sick of it all by the end of it.
  10. How competitive? It's tough to say, but there are a lot of spots open each year at end of match. If you want one specific spot - best way to do it is to tell them early, have someone you know advocate for you, and make a connection with an interviewer by learning about their research early on and saying - yes I would love to work on that with you as a project.
  11. Basically every program wants some "scholarly activity" done during your year there: quality improvement, abstract, book chapter, something...
  12. How to make rank list? I went by "right fit" and how I "felt" after my day there.
  13. As long as you match - you'll be fine.
  14. If you don't match - there will likely be spots available at the end so scramble.
Happy it's over. Applying, writing personal statement, and interviewing was annoying. Seeing the campuses and set ups and curriculum was interesting.

Good luck.

Reactions: 2 users
did anyone out there interview at any of the following places and willing to give me a run down what they thought of the program:
Iowa,
Tulane,
Henry Ford
UPMC: pittsburgh
Thank you for your time.

NRMP match data for 2018 (with 2017 data for comparison):
84 Programs with 2 withdrawn (84)
65 Programs Filled (58)
17 Programs Unfilled (26)

170 Offered Positions (166)
150 Filled (130)
20 Unfilled (36)

172 Certified Applicants (143)
150 Matched (130)
22 Unmatched (13)

So ~20% increase of applicants compared to previous year with subsequently more filled positions and unmatched applicants

Data per NRMP website

I have still not found a position. If anyone knows of an opening please let me know. I have funding if funding is an issue. Ie open quota spot but not funded.