Sleep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrTaco92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else worried about getting no sleep the night before test day? The vast majority of my exams during first year I took running on about 2-3 hours even though I'd devote ~7 hours to sleep and there have been a couple times where I got 0. This year has been a little better with the use of melatonin and a bit of emotional desensitization since our exams have been more frequent, but some days I'll still go into an exam with just a couple hours of sleep from anxiety. I'd really hate for all the studying I'm doing now to go to waste so I'm just looking to see what others do/plan to do regarding this.

Members don't see this ad.

The day before the test I stopped studying around 5pm and starting winding down, ate a small dinner and watched some tv. I also took 2 benadryl around bedtime (You should know how these OTC sleep / antihistamine meds affect you before trying this b/c you don't want to be groggy in the morning).

Due to diphenhydramines MoA, doesn't it have the potential to decrease memory? I use melatonin instead. Correct me if wrong plz

Don't study the day before your exam. Eat 3 good meals. Exercise. Try to do something leisurely that can take your mind off of studying for a couple hours. The best thing you can do is establish a consistent sleep-wake cycle during your dedicated studying so that your body is used to it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe wake up a lil earlier the day before your test that way you’ll be more tired than normal by bed time. Take melatonin, take it a few times beforehand to see how you respond to it... and exercise.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Guided meditation can also be really helpful! I've had several students use Headspace (a free meditation app) with good results. I also recommend waking up earlier than you will need to on test day for at least the week leading up to your exam.

I usually have trouble sleeping the night before exams. Simple things like stretching and sitting on the floor cross-legged for 5-10 minutes can be really relaxing. Also, having a good sleep schedule starting weeks before the test also helps.