Sleeping

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PediatricsRocks

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys, the test is approaching and I'm already having a hard time sleeping. I'm thinking of trying out some sleeping tablets. Where should I start? Which ones won't hinder my memory?

Members don't see this ad.

Some people use Benadryl, Nyquil, or some other OTC. Give yourself a few days to test it out and adjust so that you don't wake up drowsy.

I advise against beginning any sort of drug regiment so close to your test date.. I know its enticing, but altering your body's normal balance may do more harm than good, you don't know what kind of affect it may have on you.

Try ceasing the studying at least an hour before you go to bed.. and do something boring. Which means, no computer, no tv, nothing electronic, no caffeine at 4-6 hrs before bed.. Don't eat a lot before bed.

How much caffeine are you drinking every day? When do you stop studying normally? try engaging in mental activity unrelated to the test, do the newspaper crossword puzzle or something.

But I really think you should think long and hard before trying drugs to sleep.. cmon you know all about how it decreases REM sleep, and there are a lot of side-effects associated with sleeping pills. Its just not a good idea. The only time I would say maybe talk to your doctor about it is if this is happening to you a month before your exam, but not when your body doesn't have enough time to adjust to it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Like pokerdoc said, don't try anything new so close to your test date.

If you really NEED it, you could try a short acting benzodiazepine.

Stay away from antihistaminics! They make you feel drowsy for awhile after you wake up!

Guys, the test is approaching and I'm already having a hard time sleeping. I'm thinking of trying out some sleeping tablets. Where should I start? Which ones won't hinder my memory?

same here ped. What i do is i jog in the evenings to make myself physically tired so i'd fall asleep.
Make sure you ask the pharmacist first before you buy it cuz I heard some makes you drowsy during the day.

It's not the coffee, it's the cortisol. *Sigh* why am I in med school....why this compulsive drive to accomplish something....I could have been a teacher and actually had weekends/summers/holidays off.

It's not the coffee, it's the cortisol. *Sigh* why am I in med school....why this compulsive drive to accomplish something....I could have been a teacher and actually had weekends/summers/holidays off.
lol, hang in there. hopefully you'll change your mind after you get your score.

if it makes you feel any better, one day you will be teaching medical students/residents...but you won't be having much time off then either

sorry, that prolly didn't make you feel better

if it makes you feel any better, one day you will be teaching medical students/residents...but you won't be having much time off then either

sorry, that prolly didn't make you feel better

u suck @ advice, GAWD :love:

I took Step 1 one year ago and was peeking over here for a moment.

Absolutely no sleeping pills/aids. Not now. Instead, up your exercise routine... that extra 30-60 minutes away from the books each day won't matter much at this point. Helps you catch some ZZZZ's the natural way.

Again... absolutely no sleeping pills/aids. If you've gotten this far without them, why start now?

I wouldn't use anything to make your sleep in case you don't wake up on time the next day. As FA said, do not try anything different the day before the test.

I say start cutting back on sleep. Maybe 5-6 hours a day. Wake up really early, like 5am, and don't take naps. Whatever it takes to be exhausted by 10pm. Exercise too. Taper up a bit and get 6 hours two days before and then 7 hours the night before. You should be good. I take melatonin sometimes when I can't sleep and that helps. Take it 2 hours before bedtime. Pay $60 for an hour massage the evening before. You will be like jello.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd give melatonin a try. it helps me a lot- I haven't tried any of the nonbenzo benzo agos though but I heard they just leave you all funny in the morning

How about taking a sleeping pill two nights before? About a month ago I took half a dose of Nyquil and I slept well that night, was sleepy all the next day, but then slept well the following night and woke up refreshed.

Idk, I use all kinds of sleep aids, I'm used to them so they don't bother me in the morning. They weren't super effective the night before the exam though. If you're not a morning person i'd try to nudge your routine towards getting up
at the time of when you would on test day.

i took zolpidem the night before my exam. Wide awake ... got 3-4 hours max ...... soooooooooooo tired during my exam :(!!!!

So glad I found this thread. I'm in London town today. Sucks for one being out of town to take the exam, I just can't sleep in a foreign room. I'm thinking of getting some Zolpidem but I guess not!

It's just no surprise I can't sleep. I'm glad the exam isn't TOMORROW but the day after. Not sure how much I can change about that. I do have melatonin pills but heck, if they work I would've been asleep now.

I usually take caffeine throughout the day but I'm gonna power through tomorrow without any stimulants. See how that works out.

my exam is 2 1/2 weeks away from now, but i am already having sleeping problems.:confused:

Last edited:
as mentioned above, why dont you just give exercise a try? go jogging, running, chasing squirrels, it reduces the catecholamines, improves your mood, increases neurotransmitters...it has many advantages.

and try to do sth fun once in a while. its just the stress and as also previously mentioned, sleeping tablets reduce REM sleep, if you think that will help you learn better, its up to you.

avoid the antihistamines, very memory impairing; try biofeedback instead if you have anxiety type symptoms. benzo type stuff will just give you rebound anxiety + restless sleep, not worth it

i dont take any sleep aids..i just jog in the evenings to make myself tired..
my sleep pattern is kinda messed up cuz of exam anxiety..ahh

i dont take any sleep aids..i just jog in the evenings to make myself tired..
my sleep pattern is kinda messed up cuz of exam anxiety..ahh

I dont know if this piece of advice will help YOU but it sure helped me a lot when I had exam anxieties.
everyday, for a few minutes in the morning and a few minutes in the afternoon or evening or whenever you have the anxiety or start revising, just imagine you had passed yr exam, had a great score...imagine how happy you would be, imagine the people you will be celebrating with, imagine the surprise of your friends looking at your amazing score...
as I said, not only did this help me to get over the anxieties (+nightmares) it also made me work a lot more motivated towards my exams. what was the result? I didnt get in the top10 but I got into the top quartile. this on an exam where I had thought "there is no way I am gonna pass this!"
as you know, if you learn with anxieties or fear, you will not retain the infromation very well, due to stress hormones. but if you learn with positive emotions you will retain it a lot better. just give it a try...

Anti-histies = nono. They cut out your good deep sleep and you feel like you had 3 or 4 hours instead of the 8. I'd recommend a few beers/shots which work pretty well so long as you don't get a hang over (and yes I had to do this before my USMLE). I also had zolpidem and the sleep is ok, but I had terrible sleep insomnia after a few days of using it. I'd say exercise + 2 beers or shots and try to turn down your monitor at night (no light to that stupid SCN). Also don't eat too much, have everything pretty dim an hour or so before you go to sleep. Melatonin did not work for me at all and I've tried up to 30mg of it (which is around 10 pills or so).
Oh yeah sleepaid is diphenhydramine.
Benadryl is also diphenhydramine I believe.

If you take a sleeping pill, take Zolpidem for 1 or 2 nights MAX no more. On my 3rd day it had almost no effect and the 4th day was even worse (night before the test). GOOD LUCK GUYS!

ive been taking ant histamines for the past month (test is in 2 weeks) and yeah..theres deffinitely brain fog the next day!
but unfortunately at this point, no drugs=no sleep for me

melatonin does nothing for me. Thinking to trying some zoplidem, or maybe ramealton.

I think melatonin helps me, but it could be a placebo effect.

usually took zolpidem

night before my exam took 2 tablets .. did absolutely nothing LOL

only got 3 hours of sleep! disaster haha