Sleeping

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmo1012

SGU (NCSU) c/o 2015!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question for all you current vet students: how do you fall asleep at night? What kind of routine do you go through to get your brain to understand that it's time to shut off and fall asleep?

I was always the kind of person who could pretty much just quit what i was doing, brush my teeth and go to bed without much trouble, but now I find that no matter what, i can't get my brain to stop thinking about school! i'll be laying in bed trying to fall asleep and all it wants to do is continue reviewing anatomy terms or physiology concepts haha. It's becoming a problem though because its taking me 1-2 hours to fall asleep now (and you all know that that is extremely precious time being wasted to just lying there!!!).

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Question for all you current vet students: how do you fall asleep at night? What kind of routine do you go through to get your brain to understand that it's time to shut off and fall asleep?

I was always the kind of person who could pretty much just quit what i was doing, brush my teeth and go to bed without much trouble, but now I find that no matter what, i can't get my brain to stop thinking about school! i'll be laying in bed trying to fall asleep and all it wants to do is continue reviewing anatomy terms or physiology concepts haha. It's becoming a problem though because its taking me 1-2 hours to fall asleep now (and you all know that that is extremely precious time being wasted to just lying there!!!).

Thanks!

I never study right up until I go to sleep. I try to watch a TV show or read a chapter in a leisure book before hopping into bed. I've also found that even 30 mins of exercise a day helps me sleep soooo much better at night :)

Oh and living in the UK has made me a tea addict, so a cup of decaf, relaxing tea always helps.

I also never go right to sleep from studying. I am a nighttime showerer, so I take a shower, and then read a pleasure book for a bit. I've also found that an actual physical routine helps me fall asleep ie. I read on my left side for about 15 minutes or until tired, then roll over to my right side to sleep. This really helped me last year the night before an exam, which is when I normally have trouble sleeping--my body was kind of "trained" to fall asleep when I rolled over to my other side.

Members don't see this ad :)
I never study right up until I go to sleep. I try to watch a TV show or read a chapter in a leisure book before hopping into bed. I've also found that even 30 mins of exercise a day helps me sleep soooo much better at night :)

Oh and living in the UK has made me a tea addict, so a cup of decaf, relaxing tea always helps.

You sound like a brat. Everything in your day has to go a certain way. You have to get your workout in. You have to have your decaf tea. How very snobbish you seem. Living in the UK probably changed your sense of fashion and style also to more European, and you look down now on the American styles, shopping only high end brands, more popular in Europe.

You sound like a brat. Everything in your day has to go a certain way. You have to get your workout in. You have to have your decaf tea. How very snobbish you seem. Living in the UK probably changed your sense of fashion and style also to more European, and you look down now on the American styles, shopping only high end brands, more popular in Europe.

...I have to have my decaff tea too!!! :eek:

Hey Shortnsweet, wanna be snobbish brats together?! :laugh:

Haters gonna hate...

...I have to have my decaff tea too!!! :eek:

Hey Shortnsweet, wanna be snobbish brats together?! :laugh:

Haters gonna hate...

Let's do it!!!:D

Oh and ps my normal everyday wear is a tshirt, hoodie, and jeans. Does that make me a snob too?

Thanks!

I've always had trouble falling asleep, even before vet school came and made it all worse.

Hot shower before bed is a must (Does that make me a snob?).
Most nights I also take a melatonin supplement, especially if its been one of "those" days where I know I won't be able to fall asleep or make my brain stop thinking. Might have to play around with dosages, but I have good luck with 1.5-2 mgs on the average night. I generally get 7-8 hours a night, unless its the night before a big exam, but I rarely get less than 5. I know myself-- rest is a necessity, and I have trouble getting up in the mornings otherwise. (If I take too much of the melatonin and then dont get enough sleep, I do feel groggy the next morning, so I recommend playing with dosages on a weekend when you dont have to worry about getting up right away! Start low, and work up if you need to)
I usually take the melatonin, spend 15-20 minutes playing on facebook, surfing my favorite websites, and by then, its kicked in enough that i feel my eyes closing and I fall asleep as soon as I roll over.

I read and don't look at anything electronic (computer, TV, phone) for about 30 minutes before bed. I've found that interesting but not too engaging non-fiction works the best -- if I'm reading a good novel, sometimes I can't put it down!

I am hoping that this is a joke. Because if not this is simply sad. Are you seriously picking on someone online whom you don't know simply because they have figured out what makes them tick as a person and can thus study, sleep, and stay happy on a regular basis? If you're kidding, I apologize. Sarcasm doesn't translate well into writing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am hoping that this is a joke. Because if not this is simply sad. Are you seriously picking on someone online whom you don't know simply because they have figured out what makes them tick as a person and can thus study, sleep, and stay happy on a regular basis? If you're kidding, I apologize. Sarcasm doesn't translate well into writing.

No worries, NK. I'm not offended:). I checked his other posts...totally a troll that has posted mean and stupid things all over SDN. Thanks for sticking up for me!!!

Didn't get that.... way to be a jerk.

Haters gonna hate...

&& Ballers gonna ball ;)

OP,

What I've noticed with myself is that those nights where I can't fall asleep, I start stressing myself out over it and every time I realize I've been lying in bed awake for X amount of time, I start thinking even more about how I'm still awake and it becomes like a cycle that keeps me up even later that night.

Otherwise, I'm a huge fan of reading before bed, especially on my side. With a good book, though, it's only when a realize that I'm taking a few minutes to nod off between paragraphs that I decide I should put the book down and go to bed.

Something else, which, while it hasn't seemed to bother me, but might help you and could be worth a try if you aren't already doing this, is to make sure your bed is only getting used for sleeping (and pre-sleep activities like reading).

thanks everyone! i used to read during undergrad before bed, but my biggest issue with that now happens to be that i have no books! too heavy to bring with me and there really aren't any reading books on the island. i've contemplating downloading to my netbook, but i dont really like the idea of reading on that electric screen before sleeping. we'll see what i come up with! last night a benedryl worked quite nicely (from what I can remember haha) but it was still on 6.5 hours before class again, oh well. one of these days!

Most nights I also take a melatonin supplement, especially if its been one of "those" days where I know I won't be able to fall asleep or make my brain stop thinking. Might have to play around with dosages, but I have good luck with 1.5-2 mgs on the average night.

I've always had sleep issues as well, and 5-HTP and melatonin together right before bed is what works for me.

You need a Kindle! I think they start at $114 now if you get the one without 3G and with ads. I was skeptical and then got one for my birthday...and am now a total convert. It's saving so much bookshelf space!

Don't use a nook or ipad -- the backlighting will keep you up.

If you tend to work on your computer until late at night, try out a desktop app called Flux. It changes your computer screen from the bright blue backlight to an orange tone. Supposedly, staring at blue wavelength light after the sun goes down can screw with your circadian rhythm. I don't know that it's helping me fall asleep any faster, but it has really cut down on the eye strain and computer headaches I was getting, which were keeping me awake.

I'm also a firm adherent to doing anything besides homework for at least thirty minutes before I go to bed. TV show, books, shower, leisurely walk around the block with the dogs...doesn't really seem to matter what it is as long as I get my mind off school before laying down.

I stop studying in any way, shape or form probably an hour before I go to bed. I shower and talk to my boyfriend and sometimes family and if it's still early I'll read for a bit. (That can be problematic as pointed out!) I've also found that if I'm awake and flopping around trying to fall asleep, it's helpful to get up out of bed and just walk around/let the dog out/something simple and then get back in bed and try to go to sleep then.

My nightly routine is thus: at 9 PM I stop studying. From 9 to 9:30 is my internet time. I don't have internet or TV in my apartment, so I go down to the elevator lobby and use the building's wireless. At 9:30, I call my wife and tell her good night. I then brush my teeth and get in bed. I read a book - currently Tom Clancy's newest novel - until 10. I then start my sleep music - a play list on iTunes that puts me to sleep, and turn out the lights. I estimate that I'm out within 10 minutes, based on the number of songs I usually hear.

My morning schedule is equally regimented - up at 5:30, run Mon, Wed, and Fri, weights on Tue and Thurs. My goal is to be in the shower by 6:30. I eat breakfast, pack lunch, and am out the door by 7. I never feel tired during the day and so far have plenty of study time.

I always found that trying to read my Large Animal Husbandry notes put me to sleep within 5 minutes.

I watch tv/youtube and/or read (non-school related material, of course) before bed.

I use to have lot of food at my dinner and watch t.v for an hour and fell asleep. :laugh:

Try sitting on the back row. Get some ear plugs if the instructor is too loud. Try not to snore.

My nightly routine is thus: at 9 PM I stop studying. From 9 to 9:30 is my internet time. I don't have internet or TV in my apartment, so I go down to the elevator lobby and use the building's wireless. At 9:30, I call my wife and tell her good night. I then brush my teeth and get in bed. I read a book - currently Tom Clancy's newest novel - until 10. I then start my sleep music - a play list on iTunes that puts me to sleep, and turn out the lights. I estimate that I'm out within 10 minutes, based on the number of songs I usually hear.

My morning schedule is equally regimented - up at 5:30, run Mon, Wed, and Fri, weights on Tue and Thurs. My goal is to be in the shower by 6:30. I eat breakfast, pack lunch, and am out the door by 7. I never feel tired during the day and so far have plenty of study time.

A vet student in bed by 10? You are surely an anomaly (and I mean that in a good way)!!

Try sitting on the back row. Get some ear plugs if the instructor is too loud. Try not to snore.

:thumbup::laugh:

A vet student in bed by 10? You are surely an anomaly (and I mean that in a good way)!!

:thumbup::laugh:

we have a couple that are in bed around 10 but keep that same schedule of get up at 5:30a. me? i'm totally worthless in the morning. whatever needs to get done gets done before i sleep or else it never gets completed haha

we have a couple that are in bed around 10 but keep that same schedule of get up at 5:30a. me? i'm totally worthless in the morning. whatever needs to get done gets done before i sleep or else it never gets completed haha
It's all motor neurons in the morning, with the exception of the last physiology test. My study schedule didn't quite go as planned. I didn't count on the poor sentence structure in the professor's notes, which was very distracting. Got bored several times and had to take too many breaks. Felt exhausted all day. So yeah, early morning brain function is pretty much limited to trying to avoid using my truck remote to lock my apartment door (I've tried this more than once - it doesn't work on my locker either) and making sure I don't get hit by a car.