"Slide" discussion (myocardium)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eurekanni

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, :):):)

These few slides are from an autopsy performed on a young diseased patient who had suffered from congenital heart disease.

The particular feature in these few slides is the focal, dark pigmented myocardium that appeared on H&E stain (as shown in the attachment),and that was not considered artifact of any kind after the second tissue section was done.

I would like if any one would give some hints on diagnosing this kind of pattern??

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 133
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 129
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 134
Off the top of my head, given that history would guess Porphyria.

Get back to us on what on the answer is.

It is hard to tell what the pigment is from the pictures. I would put iron in the differential, especially if it is refractile.

Members don't see this ad :)
What sort of congenital heart disease (anatomic or other known findings, or just early physiologic failure and you're trying to figure out the rest post-mortem?), and how old are we talking about? Any other autopsy/histology abnormalities noted? Was this finding uniform in all heart sections (in different blocks)? What were the clinical circumstances/history leading up to death? Were newborn metabolic screen results normal/performed? Was skeletal muscle saved/submitted? Or are you "testing" the forum because you already know?

Certainly can't be very definitive with limited compressed digital images, and won't try to be. The "pigment"/discoloration does seem to have its own very distinct pattern, or area of involvement, which strikes me as unusual for pigment related disease. I would be particularly suspicious if there are no histologic findings in other organs. I wouldn't spend a lot of money on stains or EM without, at least, answers to the earlier questions.

Last edited: