Slightly OT - SDN D.O. forums/people!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StringerBell

It's the final countdown!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a an observation...

I'm a non-traditional applicant, applying to both MD and DO schools in this cycle. I've noticed that the difference between the SDN forums for each is in the users/posts.

The MD forums seem to be really competition-driven and somewhat cutthroat. On the DO end, I see a lot of people supporting each other without trying to discourage someone based on any less-than-stellar application numbers.

As for me, although I would admittedly rather go to an MD school, I would be happy being a DO, as I have worked for, and with, many DO's, both in an osteopathic clinic and at a hospital.

So good luck to everyone out there; it would probably be ridiculous to think that we're all going to end up in med school, but we should all be proud of wanting to undertake this goal, and what we've accomplished so far just getting to this point.

Members don't see this ad.

Just a an observation...

I'm a non-traditional applicant, applying to both MD and DO schools in this cycle. I've noticed that the difference between the SDN forums for each is in the users/posts.

The MD forums seem to be really competition-driven and somewhat cutthroat. On the DO end, I see a lot of people supporting each other without trying to discourage someone based on any less-than-stellar application numbers.

As for me, although I would admittedly rather go to an MD school, I would be happy being a DO, as I have worked for, and with, many DO's, both in an osteopathic clinic and at a hospital.

So good luck to everyone out there; it would probably be ridiculous to think that we're all going to end up in med school, but we should all be proud of wanting to undertake this goal, and what we've accomplished so far just getting to this point.

StringerBell, I feel exactly the same way...but if you think about the fact that the majority of pre-Meds are traditional students, and their life experiences are also quite narrow. They are pretty much forcefed since they've decided to pursue medicine that they are going to have to be the best, and that other aspiring MD, even if they are school friends, is their competition.

While on the other hand, most nontrads have gone through the ups and downs of life, and realize that there is much more in their pursuit of becoming a doctor than knocking down their fellow classmates.

Just my opinion...

most nontrads have gone through the ups and downs of life

I've worked in a hospital for a number of years, and most of the people there knew that I wanted to go to med school.

They asked me "Now that you've seen what it's like, do you still want to be a doctor?"

I responded to them, "Now that I've seen it, I want it even more."

Members don't see this ad :)
I have also noticed that each forum has its own, distinct personality. Some of this may be attributed to the ages and life experiences of the people posting there and some of it may be something entirely unrelated. Whatever it is, I love everyone over here on the pre-osteo forum. :love: :love: :love:

I love the DO forum. I would rather go diving covered in blood in shark infested waters than post in the MD forum. My chances would be better for survival. lol Nothin against MD's, shadowed some great ones, have family members as MD's. Just the DO route and forum is home to a lot more polite and honest individuals. BTW im 22

How do you think MD forum got the nickname "Thunderdome" haha

However, it is more competative to get into MD schools, so it would have to be expected that the fourm would be more competative. A lot of people over there are trying for the most competative schools and eventually the most competative residecies, so how else would you expect them to be. To be honest, I don't think there is anything wrong with that...I would hope that the most competative and intellingent students get into the more difficult and competative fields. It is kind of like a weed out process for the weak minded. We praise athletes for cut-throat competativness because they are basically working at the highest level, so I see no prob with it in medicine...as long as they are ultimatly willing to work respectfully with their colleuges.

I can't not post my stupid opinion...

I fifth the OP's observation. We are told at OUCOM that we were selected from our intreviews based largely on our interpersonal skills, something that many uber-competetive pre-allo students may lack. The observation that DO students/pre-osteo students are more approachable and more supportive extends to my classmates... we are constantly emailing each other drug charts, websites, etc. for exam prep and general knowledge to help each other out. This is in contrast to alot of the local allopathic 3rd/4th year students who were described by one 3rd year student as "social ******s" and would cut your throat and bury those drug charts or him/herself like a squirrel gettin ready for winter. I'm sure that there are nice pre-allo's... maybe.

"Pre-DO LoveFEST 2007" :love:

Can't you just feel it??

It's 'cause most of us have a real life outside this pre-med stuff. We are able to put it in perspective. The people who dual post on many sections of the board (sans the trolls) have the same outlook

The people who dual post on many sections of the board (sans the trolls) have the same outlook

Bingo.....having a life helps improve your outlook. However it is fun to toy with the more neurotic amongst us.

It's 'cause most of us have a real life outside this pre-med stuff. We are able to put it in perspective.

Hmm, I don't know if I'd go as far as to say I have a life outside of pre-med stuff right now. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you think MD forum got the nickname "Thunderdome" haha

However, it is more competative to get into MD schools, so it would have to be expected that the fourm would be more competative. A lot of people over there are trying for the most competative schools and eventually the most competative residecies, so how else would you expect them to be. To be honest, I don't think there is anything wrong with that...I would hope that the most competative and intellingent students get into the more difficult and competative fields. It is kind of like a weed out process for the weak minded. We praise athletes for cut-throat competativness because they are basically working at the highest level, so I see no prob with it in medicine...as long as they are ultimatly willing to work respectfully with their colleuges.

No offense, but get a spell check or you might get eaten alive somewhere down the line.

hey now, don't knock us 21-year olds.

True, there are some (a few) traditional-age students that have a different motivation, but I would think that the majority of traditional students are going to go the traditional route, which is allopathic...there is nothing wrong with that, but I think that DO schools appeal to nontrads because it is nontrad itself...

I feel in my heart that I will make a better doctor become I've more life experiences than a traditional student, and hopeful that will help me relate better to my patients since I'm sure that I've come across a lot more diverse populations than a student (18-21).

Krisss17

I think people should want to be a DO so they can be like me.

:thumbup:

No offense, but get a spell check or you might get eaten alive somewhere down the line.

explain to me where exactly spelling incorrectly is going to get me "eaten alive."

I want to be like you......just I want to find a way to do it without having to be a DO. :laugh:

Wait until you have taken the MCAT before you start another flame war.

Remember in a few months one of will still be giving albuterol nebs...while the other will be able to prescribe it. ;)

Wait until you have taken the MCAT before you start another flame war.
I'm not starting anything. I am just being honest.....I respect you a very great deal, but I don't want anything to hinder me, even in the smallest way, from pursuing whatever specialty I want. Also I want to avoid having to jump through any more hoops to be able to treat patients than are absolutely necessary. You're happy to be a DO and chose to be one. It is a backup for me and I will be honest about that in every setting except interviews.

Remember in a few months one of will still be giving albuterol nebs...while the other will be able to prescribe it. ;)

*brushes salt off wounds* Just for that, you're not getting invited to the wedding. :laugh:

I think people should want to be a DO so they can be like me.

:thumbup:

JPH...for me, you've just beaten Nate's "ding ding" with this one:laugh: :love:
I think i will tattoo this on my back once i am accepted to DO school:p ;)