SLIT...anybody doing it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

earboy

pluggin away
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Firstly, happy new year to everyone.

My partner and I both have very little internet intellectually in allergy. We have an allergy group upstairs from us that does feed us some patients, but not a great amount.

We have been thinking about expanding services and have discussed SLIT. Clinics are popping up around here just giving this stuff out like its water.

So, do any of you do it? Happy with it? Is it bringing in some sort of profit? How did you set it up, especially if you weren't already doing injections? Are there consultants or any resources on how to get set up with allergy services?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

We do SLIT. 70% of our immunotherapy patients are on SLIT rather than injection immunotherapy (IT). It's VERY profitable because it's cash pay. It was a very easy set up because we were already doing injections, so not sure how you would need to start from scratch. I can say for sure that you will want to do your own testing because that's where a significant amount of the income is generated. RAST doesn't bring in revenue, but skin testing absolutely does. There are a ton of resources out there. Reach out to Audigy. They'll be happy to get you rolling.

Are people really jumping on SLIT even though it's cash pay? That's surprising, but I guess people hate needles

We have a very active allergy practice. It makes sense to offer SLIT in that setting. It works especially well for the busy patient that can't sit and wait after getting their shots or in younger patients. The studies show it has similar efficacy with SCIT and it's a cash business. In my area not a lot of patients can/want to afford it so I'd say we are 10% SLIT. Our pricing reflects that fact and we barely make any money on it but feel it's important as a part of a comprehensive allergy practice to offer it.

SCIT works well in our area because we have a lot of Medicaid and Medicare. We don't make much on each patient, but we mix and shoot so much that it becomes very profitable (we average giving ~ 90 shots a day). This day and age you need ancillary ways to make money. There are only so many patients that you can see in clinic or that need an operation. Ancillary services like hearing aids or immunotherapy are a nice place to start.