Sloan Kettering Transitional Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

erectorspinae

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any MSK alums out there with thoughts on the transitional year program? With little info it looks like an awesome combo of academic rigor and transitional year goodess.

Members don't see this ad.

Any MSK alums out there with thoughts on the transitional year program? With little info it looks like an awesome combo of academic rigor and transitional year goodess.

Rigor and TY goodness are diametrically opposed ideas. I kid I kid. I interviewed there last year and thought it was decent. I don't remember the exact specs on the year, but you got cheap UES housing so even when you were on call, you could go home.

Rigor and TY goodness are diametrically opposed ideas. I kid I kid. I interviewed there last year and thought it was decent. I don't remember the exact specs on the year, but you got cheap UES housing so even when you were on call, you could go home.

apparently the housing situation changed this year. now you are paying good ole new york prices for the rooms. and that really blows.

Members don't see this ad :)
From the TY interview invite:

"MSKCC housing will be available to trainees who match with us."

Not sure if the policy has changed recently but this is what they sent out in their email this year.

apparently the housing situation changed this year. now you are paying good ole new york prices for the rooms. and that really blows.

Wow. That would be a 50-70% salary cut. They would have to raise salaries by that amount. Last year, their salaries were low but it was due to the housing (like 45-50k pgy1).

current resident here. absolutely love it. great faculty, great program. very laid back, but still learning. rent is $1200, pretax. can't think of a single negative

This time of year everyone gets antsy, so I am afraid people are going to dislike me for posting this. MSKCC's TY honestly is around the middle of my own internship rank list. A few things about the MSKCC TY get batted around on the forums here, the same issues confused me after interviewing there, and I wonder if you can address them.

When I interviewed the residents were very ambiguous about housing options and cost of the housing. They wouldn't tell me the cost of the housing now at all. I was further told that the housing for next year was not guaranteed, that this year the cost went up dramatically, and it may go up again next year dramatically if it is still available at all. Can you shed any more light on this? For me it seems like a fantastic risk to move to that area with no idea about NYC housing.

I also wonder what your hours are like. People seemed pretty ambiguous on this as well. I'm looking at a lot of laid back TYs, and the MSKCC program had a lot more ward time and a lot fewer electives than any other TY program I went to. Can you give me an idea of your typical week on wards?

Thanks!