SLOE from FM doc working in the ER

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A_UROLOGY_RESIDENT

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have been working a lot with a physician in the ER who is FM residency trained, but works solely as an emergency medicine physician. Would it be appropriate to get a SLOE from him? Or is it best to try and find a different physician?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

So I have been working a lot with a physician in the ER who is FM residency trained, but works solely as an emergency medicine physician. Would it be appropriate to get a SLOE from him? Or is it best to try and find a different physician?

You can get a non-SLOE letter from this person, but you definitely want 2 or more actual EM department SLOEs from your EM rotations. Those SLOEs should be written by a group that oversees EM residents, not some random community hospital without an EM residency. Some med schools don't have an affilitated EM residency on-site, and they typically don't offer true SLOEs either - those students are said to be without a home program. Anyway, the non-SLOE letter is unlikely to have much impact on your application.

Last edited:
So it seems like you don’t know what a SLOE is , a SLOE is a standardized from a program so you have to get one from a residency program director. Anything from anyone else is a letter of recommendation

Members don't see this ad :)
you have to get one from a residency program director

Doesn't have to be from the PD. Most SLOEs aren't. The best SLOEs are formulated by a committee of attendings at the residency, and then written based on the committees findings by one a faculty member. It's often times not the PD who actually writes it.

I would not ask for a SLOE from them. Maybe get a regular LOR, but that shouldn't replace the 2-3 actual residency based SLOEs you should achieve to get. There is a non-residency modified SLOE for EM rotations at non-residency sites, but these are supposed to be done by people who have a bunch of EM interested students rotating with them yearly, despite not having an EM residency. This gets bastardized, and often I see them written by people calling the candidate a "top 10" student for the year, then indicating they were the only student that rotated with them when they fill out the part where the compare students to one another. That kind of cheapens the SLOE considerably.

My general advice to students is, don't try and get around the SLOE system. Don't waste months rotating at places without residencies. And if your school forces you to, then you have to figure out a way around it and get at least 2 rotations to do an AI at. All of the "non-residency" sloes and regular LORs just do little to help an application. Don't try and circumvent the system, it only hurts your chances.

Reactions: 1 users
Plenty of trash-tier programs opening that take people without SLOEs nowadays.

you need a true SLOE - see the SAEM website for complete details. You need one for every 4th year audition rotation you do. They come directly from the PD/APD. This is something that is very specific to EM. you can have a non-EM LOR, but need at least 2 SLOEs.

in regards to the above - I'm not aware of "trash tier" programs, so you should probably be more specific??

I would strongly urge you to rotate and audition at programs that *your application* is competitive for. ie if you score a 220, don't rotate at Mass general, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
FSU Sarasota.

I don’t have specific knowledge of this program. But it was just accredited in 2018. Yes brand new programs are easier to get into but this can rapidly change in subsequent years and I would hesitate to call it “trash tier” just because it’s new.

Yes new programs are easier to get into. That doesn't mean they'll take people without SLOEs for interviews. You can't just become a PD. To even be considered for a PD job, you have to have at least 3 years minimum as core faculty in an EM residency. Most PDs were at least APDs prior. Its not like someone just graduates from residency and gets a PD gig. SLOEs are so pervasive in academic EM and candidate evaluation. I can't imagine any PD, even in a new program, just totally ignoring their importance when it comes to interviewing candidates.