SLOE Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ash1431

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to figure out how we are ranked in our SLOEs? I understand that faculty is legally not allowed to tell us, but it seems like a lot of applicants in the past know if their SLOE was good or bad. I have not received any negative feedback at either of my sub-I's; however, I have no idea how that translates to my actual SLOE, since I definitely do not think of myself as the most clinically strong. I was therefore hoping to have some idea of a potentially bad SLOE prior to sending both of them out this season.

Members don't see this ad.

654576-ggpunch_003.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Is there a way to figure out how we are ranked in our SLOEs? I understand that faculty is legally not allowed to tell us, but it seems like a lot of applicants in the past know if their SLOE was good or bad. I have not received any negative feedback at either of my sub-I's; however, I have no idea how that translates to my actual SLOE, since I definitely do not think of myself as the most clinically strong. I was therefore hoping to have some idea of a potentially bad SLOE prior to sending both of them out this season.
You're blinded to them so that the SLOEs are honest assessments. If every applicant could know that they only had glowing SLOEs, they would be worthless to programs.

Typically applicants find out during the interview season about their SLOEs. Points will be brought up about them during their interviews. Comments like "program X really seemed to like you" or "program Y ranked you lower in Z category, can you tell me why you think that is?" and then applicants figure out by the end of it how their letters went.

Also recognize that not sending a SLOE is always going to be perceived as the worst case scenario (I.e. that you did horrible), so it might not be doing you a whole lot of good to hold a letter that you worry could be lukewarm. This, of course, requires the program to have connected that you rotated there from your transcript.