Slor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeekerOfTheTree

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question, how hard is it to get an SLOR from your away rotation? What do I have to do to get it?

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks man. So I am confused still.

Do I get the SLOR from an attending or resident?

Also do most programs follow that eval card format and you get a SLOR at the end or do you have to ask the attending you like to write you an SLOR?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks man. So I am confused still.

Do I get the SLOR from an attending or resident?

Also do most programs follow that eval card format and you get a SLOR at the end or do you have to ask the attending you like to write you an SLOR?

Thanks!

You get a SLOR from an attending. Some programs have one faculty member that writes all the SLORs for everyone that rotates, unless you get to know a individual attending particularly well in which case you can ask them write it instead. Other programs you just have you ask any attending you work with.

The SLOR is an actual form that the physician fills out which helps standardize all the LOR being written for people in EM. It makes it easier to compare individual applicants.

Here is what a SLOR looks like:
http://www.saem.org/sites/default/files/Slor.pdf

A little more info can be found here:
http://www.saem.org/med-students

Dude calm down I went through five of those threads and came up with those questions. I appreciate your help but being nice wont kill you Sheesh.

Thanks for the info.

You get a SLOR from an attending. Some programs have one faculty member that writes all the SLORs for everyone that rotates, unless you get to know a individual attending particularly well in which case you can ask them write it instead. Other programs you just have you ask any attending you work with.

The SLOR is an actual form that the physician fills out which helps standardize all the LOR being written for people in EM. It makes it easier to compare individual applicants.

Here is what a SLOR looks like:
http://www.saem.org/sites/default/files/Slor.pdf

A little more info can be found here:
http://www.saem.org/med-students

Thank you very much, this is very helpful.

All the aways that my classmates and I did during MS4 automatically wrote SLORs for rotating students. You didn't have to do anything, just create a slot in ERAS for the letter.

It's pretty much a given that a rotating MS4 student at the beginning of the year will need a SLOR for their application.

Thanks. I was a little nervous about how to ask but this helps put me at ease.

Dude calm down I went through five of those threads and came up with those questions. I appreciate your help but being nice wont kill you Sheesh.

Thanks for the info.

In general I think this forum would be a lot more active if people weren't such jerks all the time. Yeah--if you do a search you can find some old info on things, but often that info is super old, and possibly outdated.

If you've got an answer for the dude, post it. If not, and you feel your time is being wasted by the question, move along.

I understand there's a desire not to let the forum be overrun by repetitive questions, but from the looks of things, we aren't in danger of being overwhelmed any time soon.

There is nothing 'hard' about asking for a SLOR...

Any academic EM program you rotate at will expect you to ask for a SLOR. If you DO NOT ask for a SLOR, they will be puzzled and you may be asked about it on your interview trail...

I speak the latter from experience... I did not get a SLOR from my second away rotation (where I ended up doing residency, enjoyed the place, had a great fit, and probably would have had a stellar SLOR). I had a SLOR already and a few LORs so I figured I would be fine. I interviewed at like 12 programs and several asked me "Its odd you rotated at X and do not have a letter from them.... What happened that you did not get a letter." I think they saw it as a negative as if I was hiding something... Take home message, if you do an away, get a SLOR...

There is nothing 'hard' about asking for a SLOR...

Any academic EM program you rotate at will expect you to ask for a SLOR. If you DO NOT ask for a SLOR, they will be puzzled and you may be asked about it on your interview trail...

I speak the latter from experience... I did not get a SLOR from my second away rotation (where I ended up doing residency, enjoyed the place, had a great fit, and probably would have had a stellar SLOR). I had a SLOR already and a few LORs so I figured I would be fine. I interviewed at like 12 programs and several asked me "Its odd you rotated at X and do not have a letter from them.... What happened that you did not get a letter." I think they saw it as a negative as if I was hiding something... Take home message, if you do an away, get a SLOR...

Is it worthwhile submitting an SLOR from my home program where there is no residency? I asked for one just for good measure but I'm not sure how useful it would be to submit it over another letter. The department itself gets a high volume of students and I'm pretty sure it was very complimentary.

In general I think this forum would be a lot more active if people weren't such jerks all the time. Yeah--if you do a search you can find some old info on things, but often that info is super old, and possibly outdated.

If you've got an answer for the dude, post it. If not, and you feel your time is being wasted by the question, move along.

I understand there's a desire not to let the forum be overrun by repetitive questions, but from the looks of things, we aren't in danger of being overwhelmed any time soon.

Swing and a miss. You want jerky responses? They are rife on SDN, and EM lags well behind. And, if you will notice, I DID post it - a link to an actual SLOR. That has all the information needed.

And, in this case, first, the information is NOT super old, and not outdated, and, second, the OP did NOT look. So, to use this thread as your bellwether is misapplied.

Members don't see this ad :)
Swing and a miss. You want jerky responses? They are rife on SDN, and EM lags well behind. And, if you will notice, I DID post it - a link to an actual SLOR. That has all the information needed.

And, in this case, first, the information is NOT super old, and not outdated, and, second, the OP did NOT look. So, to use this thread as your bellwether is misapplied.

I did look. And I came back with those questions after reading through the first five threads. I am in medical school, I don't know crap so I ask people here because unlike pissed off residents and attendings I usually get a friendly response to stupid questions.

Typically when I use an online forum where there are friends and colleagues I am hoping not to have to do a meta analysis as if I was on pub med. It would not hurt to be nice. You get more bees with honey.

Just so we don't get into an argument I will say you are smart and I am dumb. I can't read and don't know much. You are an amazing person and I wish I was like you. Now there is no way we can get into an argument. Thanks for your help

Is it worthwhile submitting an SLOR from my home program where there is no residency? I asked for one just for good measure but I'm not sure how useful it would be to submit it over another letter. The department itself gets a high volume of students and I'm pretty sure it was very complimentary.

You can't get a SLOR from a place that has no residency. Academic emergency physicians only.

You can't get a SLOR from a place that has no residency. Academic emergency physicians only.

Hmm I am not quite sure about this, I have heard you can and you cannot get an SLOR if there is no residency program. Anyone able to definatively answer this? You can easily assume that if the physician is teaching than he/she is an "academic" emergency physician whether or not there is a residency program.

I don't know the definitive answer, but I can say that a SLOR from an academic program faculty member vs. some random community EP goes much further. For the same reason that a SLOR from a well respected PD goes further than one from an attending fresh out of residency.

Thinking about it further, there are a slough of questions regarding where an applicant will be RANKED in that specific program. This is an important aspect of the SLOR and could not be honestly filled out by someone NOT part of faculty at a residency program.

Steer clear of SLORs from non-residency faculty.

Thinking about it further, there are a slough of questions regarding where an applicant will be RANKED in that specific program. This is an important aspect of the SLOR and could not be honestly filled out by someone NOT part of faculty at a residency program.

Steer clear of SLORs from non-residency faculty.

Thanks for the input!

Again, you've managed to sound like a jerk. It's impressive really.

Where is the love?

My goal in life is to bring the EM forum back from the event horizon.

Where is the love?

My goal in life is to bring the EM forum back from the event horizon.

Thank you. If every time someone came and asked me a question and I yelled in their face, "There's books for that! There's the internet! There was a conference on that 18 months ago!" People would probably stop asking me questions pretty quickly. Which seems to have happened around here.

And yes, in this case, an example existed that was a good resource. But that is far from always true. My point was not referring to this singular post, but rather, a general attitude that exists around here.

I don't care if other forums are meaner, our job is to be as nice as possible.

And self-righteous Apollyon? Oh well. You don't bother me.

Per the CORD website on the SLOR:
"ONLY Emergency Medicine Faculty are to complete the SLOR. Most programs with student clerkships are encouraged to have the Student Clerkship Director and/or the Program Director do a SLOR. You can get a start now by having the Clerkship Secretary pull the grades from LAST YEAR'S clerkship. This information is needed to complete item #4 of Section A on the first page.

This year the CORD membership requested that letter writers state how many EM rotations this student has taken, including the one the grade reflects.

You should also review the SLORs you authored last year for both the TOTAL # AUTHORED and the # RECOMMENDED in each of the Global Assessment rankings."

While it makes no mention that only EM docs associated with a program may write the letter. There is allusion because the form asks the writer to comment on an applicant's competitiveness. The requirement is that the writer be EM faculty. However, as previously stated a SLOR from a PD would go a lot further given the inferred perspective of the writer with an applicant's competitiveness.

how late is too late to get an slor?

i have an em rotation in august at my home institution
and i am trying to schedule aways for October and November

are these months too late for slors? scheduling constraints make it impossible for me to do another em rotation any earlier.

how late is too late to get an slor?

i have an em rotation in august at my home institution
and i am trying to schedule aways for October and November

are these months too late for slors? scheduling constraints make it impossible for me to do another em rotation any earlier.
In my opinion, those are probably both too late. November is too late for sure. It'd most likely be the middle to end of December before you got the SLOR.

In my opinion, those are probably both too late. November is too late for sure. It'd most likely be the middle to end of December before you got the SLOR.

My away SLOR didn't arrive until mid-December and it was totally fine. At places that asked, I just told them it's still pending and nobody had a problem. Matched at my first choice. The caveat, though, is that I had 2 other SLORs in by late October.

My away SLOR didn't arrive until mid-December and it was totally fine. At places that asked, I just told them it's still pending and nobody had a problem. Matched at my first choice. The caveat, though, is that I had 2 other SLORs in by late October.
They also moved the Dean's letter being released up a month as well for this year so I imagine more invites will be earlier this year as opposed to last year. I also got several early interviews without having my final SLOR in but I already had one SLOR in and another LOR.

how late is too late?

Initially, the key is that you only need one SLOR to "complete" your application in the eyes of the programs, at least at point the programs are just scanning the pool of applications & looking for interview candidates. So, even at the latest say by mid-September you've got the whole deal complete- the main ERAS part, the personal statement, uploaded everything including your first 1 or 2 letters. You probably won't start receiving invites until your first SLOR is in. At least, this was the experience of all the EM applicants at my school. Once we got that letter in, it's like the flood gates opened. Now that the MSPE comes out a month earlier, it might all be bumped earlier, but I doubt it.

Any other SLORs after the first one are great, but the timing isn't as vital. As long as you get the later ones in by the time you actually GO to your interviews, you're golden. Might want to check with the friendly coordinator once you arrive at your interview (or email/call shortly prior) to be sure they've received any late updates. You won't be penalized for late updates or anything, it's just courtesy to be sure your business is complete. After all, you worked hard for that SLOR, you want programs to see it, even your earliest interview!

:)

Initially, the key is that you only need one SLOR to "complete" your application in the eyes of the programs, at least at point the programs are just scanning the pool of applications & looking for interview candidates. So, even at the latest say by mid-September you've got the whole deal complete- the main ERAS part, the personal statement, uploaded everything including your first 1 or 2 letters. You probably won't start receiving invites until your first SLOR is in. At least, this was the experience of all the EM applicants at my school. Once we got that letter in, it's like the flood gates opened. Now that the MSPE comes out a month earlier, it might all be bumped earlier, but I doubt it.

Any other SLORs after the first one are great, but the timing isn't as vital. As long as you get the later ones in by the time you actually GO to your interviews, you're golden. Might want to check with the friendly coordinator once you arrive at your interview (or email/call shortly prior) to be sure they've received any late updates. You won't be penalized for late updates or anything, it's just courtesy to be sure your business is complete. After all, you worked hard for that SLOR, you want programs to see it, even your earliest interview!

:)

very helpful. thanks.

Can we get SLORs from DO programs??