Slow Business

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Planktonmd

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
We are experiencing an unusually low number of elective surgeries, almost 30% lower than average for this time of the year.
Are you guys seeing that too?

Members don't see this ad.

We are experiencing an unusually low number of elective surgeries, almost 30% lower than average for this time of the year.
Are you guys seeing that too?

We had ELEVEN patients cancel procedures at the pain clinic today. That's almost half our typical daily volume. Cancellations have been becoming more frequent in the past few months.

Members don't see this ad :)
We had a record setting December at both our hospitals. Slacked off the first week in January (it always does) and now we're back full speed, although not frantic like we were in December.

While its hard to say if its a trend, Id say the caseload is lighter than usual....

our caseload has increased since i joined in september. More rooms, more blocks, more fires to put out.

Wouldn't a decrease in elective surgery be expected with the shape of the economy? I was having a conversation about this with a friend a couple of weeks ago.

For the ones who have seen increases, are you located in a major/large city? What about the ones who have seen a decrease? small city?

Today was the first day that I noticed a light schedule. It's somewhat due to surgeons on vacation, though.

I hope the trend you are seeing does not become a pattern.

You and me both Jet. Granted I go to school IN Detroit, I was chatting with some surgeons (OB and Plastics dudes) prior to a case and they were saying they're feeling the impact of the economy. Again, this is Detroit.

Dudes, I know some advocate spending money to "stimulate the economy", and there's some logic in that. But, these problems are WAY TOO big. I'd highly recommend being a bit more conservative, tightening things up, and simply preparing for a rainy day.

Sure, some will say that's the exact mentality we need to avoid, so it doesn't become a self fullfilling prophecy. HOWEVER, this s.hit is global and very huge in scale. DON'T BE A MARTYR.

cf

Wouldn't a decrease in elective surgery be expected with the shape of the economy? I was having a conversation about this with a friend a couple of weeks ago.

For the ones who have seen increases, are you located in a major/large city? What about the ones who have seen a decrease? small city?

There's some feeling that people are getting their elective surgery done now if possible, just in case they lose their job and insurance benefits.

In south Florida we usually get a large number of "snow birds" this time of the year, maybe people are not traveling as much.
But I am glad to hear that other areas seem to be OK.

Would have to agree with JWK, but it may be because we both work around the metro ATL area. We had a record-setting December, a slight lull the first few weeks of January, and are now back on a regular pace. I have not seen as much elective plastics come through as normal, but we have had an increase in other areas, such as GI and Ortho. People are always going to break bones and those 2 disciplines make up a large portion of our gravy train.

Regards,
PMMD

I have to agree with pimachealmd. Our ortho and GI cases have steadily increased. Our ortho surgeons are happy with the acute pain management of their patients and are bringing more of them to our hospital. I can't explain the increase in GI cases though. OB is the same. ENT is busy but same. And lots of pacemakers/ICDs.