SLU -v- Tulane

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Homer Doughnuts

Homer Doughnuts
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think SLU is a stronger program than Tulane. While Tulane is an excellent school SLU's basic science foundation especially anatomy and histology is definitely better than Tulane. As far as clinical facilities, Tulane has Charity hospital, but lets face it Charity is LSU's territory. SLU's Clinical facilities are vast, they have an excellent children’s hospital as well as a Level 1 trauma, an Orthopedics center and a cancer hospital all directly associated with the medical school. These are just my thoughts what do you think.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm with you on Charity being LSU's territory :thumbup:

Tulane=Too Lame :smuggrin:
Tulane or "Two-lane" should really be One-Lane :smuggrin:

marr said:
I'm with you on Charity being LSU's territory :thumbup:

Tulane=Too Lame :smuggrin:
Tulane or "Two-lane" should really be One-Lane :smuggrin:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
would you really want to live in st louis? sheesh thats a no brainer. j/k. sort of.

i'm biased in favor of tulane, so i wont be much of a help. id consider tulane's reputation to be better, though i havent seen a recent match list from slu.

and just a question, since you consider charity to be LSU's territory and also charity to be tulane's sole strong point, why are you asking about tulane vs slu and not lsu vs slu? lsu seems to get your nod over tulane, a wrong choice imho, but im just curious.

Why is Charity LSU's territory? You ought to check out the call system over there and you will see that everything (EVERYTHING) is split down the middle. All internal medicine patients are admitted by both schools, the ER is run by both Tulane residents and LSU residents, trauma surgery is split, general surgery is split, EVERYTHING is split. Tulane, though, has the benefit of also working out the VA for internal medicine, and of working out of a private university hospital or 2 for everything. I know this isn't a Tulane vs. LSU thread, and I don't mean to put down LSU at all, but I think you are sorely mistaken about Tulane's clinical domain.

Another point I would like to make is about preclinical education: At this point in your education, all you can see ahead of you is anatomy, which I understand. THERE IS MORE TO MEDICINE THAN ANATOMY. I tell this to applicants all the time. Stop judging your med school by its anatomy labs. I would much prefer to go to the school with the better clinical exposure that to the one that's great at teaching biochem. In Tulane's favor, though, there is a LOT of new money coming in for basic science research and faculty acquisition as of this upcoming school year because of the space being freed up by moving the medical education component of the med school to its new classy digs.

You sound sold on SLU and if that's where you would rather be, go there. Schools generally prefer students who want to be there and if you don't want to be at Tulane, don't worry. There are many other students waiting on your spot.

peptidoglycan said:
Why is Charity LSU's territory? You ought to check out the call system over there and you will see that everything (EVERYTHING) is split down the middle. All internal medicine patients are admitted by both schools, the ER is run by both Tulane residents and LSU residents, trauma surgery is split, general surgery is split, EVERYTHING is split. Tulane, though, has the benefit of also working out the VA for internal medicine, and of working out of a private university hospital or 2 for everything. I know this isn't a Tulane vs. LSU thread, and I don't mean to put down LSU at all, but I think you are sorely mistaken about Tulane's clinical domain.

Another point I would like to make is about preclinical education: At this point in your education, all you can see ahead of you is anatomy, which I understand. THERE IS MORE TO MEDICINE THAN ANATOMY. I tell this to applicants all the time. Stop judging your med school by its anatomy labs. I would much prefer to go to the school with the better clinical exposure that to the one that's great at teaching biochem. In Tulane's favor, though, there is a LOT of new money coming in for basic science research and faculty acquisition as of this upcoming school year because of the space being freed up by moving the medical education component of the med school to its new classy digs.

You sound sold on SLU and if that's where you would rather be, go there. Schools generally prefer students who want to be there and if you don't want to be at Tulane, don't worry. There are many other students waiting on your spot.

Good points, I just got a better vibe from SLU students than Tulane students, it seems to be the way I want to go, but there is no doubt that Tulane is a good school.