SLU vs Howard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eartwj

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted into Howard and Meharry so far, but I feel like I would choose Howard over Meharry. I have been interested in SLU for sometime now (only interview/waitlist last cycle), and am currently waiting for a post interview decision.

Howard

Pros
  • Great reputation for educating black doctors
  • Nation's capitol, very attractive location
  • Sister will be going to undergrad there and premed (not so much a pro for me i guess, but can definitely help her out)
  • HBCU (been going to primarily black schools for past 8 years and enjoy tight knit, nurturing atmosphere)
  • more diverse
  • Good clinical experience?
  • research institutions close by (plan on doing at least some)
  • focus on underserved
  • smaller class

Cons
  • might be about 5k-10k more expensive (rough estimate)
  • Recent ex goes to the dental school (baggage)
  • being an HBCU, administration might not be on top of things
  • older facilities
  • H/P/F
  • they said classes weren't mandatory but some teachers will fool with your grade if they never see you.

SLU
Pros
  • very familiar with St. Louis (went to high school down the street from SLU)
  • curriculum seems to focus on student wellness/health
  • cheaper cost of living
  • "fresh start"
  • good reputation
  • know more current students and am more familiar with the program
  • possibly 5-10k cheaper (estimate)
  • nicer facilities
  • P/F, no rank
  • not many mandatory classes
  • prematriculation program
  • good clinical experiences

Cons
  • Probation. Still don't know what to think about this. Supposedly it's from reporting issues related to the new curriculum instead of the curriculum itself, but who knows.
  • less diverse
  • not as attractive location
  • fewer research opportunities
  • larger class

Summary: Overall my gut feeling during both interview days was similar, I felt like these were the institutions for me. What would you all go with?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends if you want to practice in the Northeast or the Midwest. The ex-gf is a moot point, you never have to see her if you don't want to. I would choose Howard based on the opportunities in the Northeast and I don't like the midwest that much. SLU is a solid school though, I wouldn't worry too much about the probation. The new Dean has been very transparent and it looks like he is ready to change the program for the better.

Disclaimer: I interviewed at SLU and am on the alternate list. I didn't like the vibe of the city and felt "trapped" when I was there.

Reactions: 1 user