SLU Vs. Quinnipiac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Quinnipiac vs. SLU

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

confusedonceagain

Reaction score
Hello all. I got into Quinnipiac a while ago, and I feel I've subconsciously really bought in over the past few months since it was my only A, but I just got off the WL at St. Louis University, and now I have to make a decision. No financial aid from either.

Some background - I feel like I'll end up in family medicine or internal medicine (and fellowship out if I can into something outpatient), but I haven't totally closed the door on more competitive specialties. Also, the biggest deterrent for me in terms of going to SLU is just how far it is from family - it just makes travel such a hassle.

Overall, I feel like I'm having trouble assessing things without being super biased, so I'd appreciate other perspectives. Thank you so much!

Quinnipiac:

Pros

Closer to family (train is very accessible)
Major emphasis on education
Small class size (~95)
Situated on the east coast (I'd like to match into an east coast program) and not super far from places like NYC, Boston
Great match list, even more so given its a 'newer' institution
P/F pre-clinical curriculum
Their 'MESH' program (early clinical experience) seems genuinely amazing
Doesn't seem like there's much to do in North Haven but is a safe place to walk around + New Haven (where Yale is) is only 20 min away to go do stuff

Cons
Newer/less-established institution (first class graduated in 2014 or so)
No home hospital/residency programs
2 yr pre-clinical curriculum (personally, I don't care, but I get why the 1.5 yr meta is very valuable)
There isn't an emphasis on research (though there is a required capstone) and now that Step 1 is P/F I'm wondering how this would affect my odds of matching into a reputable east coast place

St. Louis University

Pros

1.5 yr pre-clinical curriculum + P/F pre-clinical curriculum
Has a home hospital and residency programs + Updated facilities
Matches quite well across the board and into reputable programs
Older/established institution
While there also doesn't seem to be much of a focus on research, it feels as though there are more opportunities here relative to Quinnipiac
Doesn't seem like there's a ton to do here either, but at the very least its a bit more city-esque compared to North Haven (Not entirely sure about the St.louis vibes tbh)
More matches into competitive + surgical specialties (but also a much larger class size)

Cons
Very far from family
Not super interested in matching into a program in the Midwest or West Coast as of right now
Larger class size relative to Quinnipiac

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you’re pretty sure about family med or IM, Quinnipiac is completely fine to attend. People change their mind about specialities, but IM is the one with several fellowship options for your outpatient interests.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.