SLU vs. USF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adc_needs_buff

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello sunshines, I would like to get some feedback on school choices.

Background: I do not have a specific specialty in mind but would like to match in programs in Manhattan (NYC) or in places like Boston or CA in the future hopefully.

USF Core
Pros
  • Ample research opportunities through scholarly concentration: Choosing research in this track would allow me to be part of research much easier and possibly give me more opportunities
  • Higher STEP 1 score, although this probably has no meaning now as STEP 1 is P/F. But may speak into their education cirriculum?
  • Scholarly concentration that may even give me opportunity for other things outside of research (such as Gloabl Health in SK). Heard from a user here that it is possible to "audit" scholarly concentrations to do 1+ if I REALLY want to.
  • Strong match list: Although I do understand match list is affected by students efforts, I do believe the education cirriculum can also impact where students will match. Their match list shows how strong their cirriculum can be.
Cons
  • HP/PC/P/F grading pre-clinicals: Not only I will never really know how PDs will think about grading in pre-clinicals, I'm not sure how stressed I'd be with this grading vs. a true P/F pre-clinical as I have never experienced graded vs. P/F. I'd assume more stress, but I'm not sure HOW much more stress I'd get.
  • Tampa weather: According to Google, "There are two basic seasons in the Tampa Bay area, a hot and wet season from May through October, and a mild and dry season from November through April." Although I would not mind the latter, I worry about the former five~six months of humid weather. On the other hand, I wonder how much this will matter because I would most likely drive around and be studying most of the time in buildings.
  • High COA: As I am not assuming too much aid other than need-based, this will be a concern for me. Please correct me if Tampa is not high COA, I am not 100% sure about this.
  • 2 year pre-clinicals: This just seems long and not fun.
Neutral
  • The beach: I don't really like the beach anyways so this will not be in part of my consideration.
  • Match issues two years back: I know where was an issue with many students SOAPing, but seeing this year's match list, I feel much relieved and do not care. I think it would be difficult to judge on a school on one year's unfortunate SOAP situation, thus I'll give this a pass.

SLU
Pros
  • True P/F: Definitely less stress involved, but again I'm not sure how much. But this would help me chill in pre-clinicals to focus on other things.
  • Positive vibes from students/admin: The vibes from admin seemed very relaxed and collaborative, which I wasn't able to see much in my interview day in USF. However, I'm unsure how much the admin vibes would matter as I would most likely be interacting with students (where they all seemed chill in both schools).
  • Great campus: My undergraduate school did not have a campus and having one would be a great plus for medical school as it has that inclusion vibe that I missed out in undergrad.
  • 1.5 pre-clinicals: I'm very glad they have made this change, I would like to get into clinicals as soon as possible to give myself more opportunity in clinical settings. This also opens more electives AFAIK to explore further.
Cons
  • Research not required: Although I have heard that research will still be available to those who look out, I think it would definitely be harder to find them in a environment where not all students are talking/looking for research. I understand research is important for competitive specialty and would like to keep my doors open as much as I can.
  • Shared gym with undergraduate students: I dislike this not because I dislike undergraduate students (I was one at one point too) but due to the fact that there will be many people trying to work out in a limited area with limited equipments. Time waiting can really add up and I have came out wasting ~1 hour in a gym session time to time due to this. As medical school will be a time crunch, it would be great if I could get in, do my sets, and get out <1.25 hours everyday.
  • Location: As someone who has been living in a large city for my entire life, I'm unsure if St. Louis will be right for me. I understand St. Louis is still a great city according to others, but definition of "great" can differ a lot by person (i.e. people who say Los Angeles is 'great'). I feel like I would feel somewhat more comfortable in a non mid-western place?
Neutral
  • Crime rates in St. Louis: I know this is a discussed topic but I honestly do not care as I will not be doing crazy travelling around the city throughout my time in medical school. Current students have voiced their opinions about this and stated that they have never really felt in danger as long as they took common sense approaches.
  • Accredation warning thing: It's been lifted so I don't see a concern.

I'd also like to get feedback on ranking between the two: which is higher, and do they really even matter after a certain point? AFAIK, USF ranks slightly higher but I believe that at that point ranking isn't something what would hold a student back as they are very similar.

Thanks a lot everyone. I hope you guys have a wonderful day.

Members don't see this ad.

you have a solid list of pros/cons for both. I dont think theres much of a difference in terms of both of these schools reputations. One big thing that SLU has going for it is the shorter preclinical curriculum and more importantly that its pass/fail. P/F really does take so much stress off your back. I dont know too much about SLU tbh but i would find out how easy it is to access research opportunities in all specialties and what the quality of rotations are. I think USF does rotations at Tampa General and thats a big pro for them. I also feel like USF has more research opportunities. If the rotations and research are significantly better at USF i'd go with them even tho the pre clinical years are graded.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
First off, LA is a great city! In regards to location, neither of these places are fabulous (MO and FL), IMO. You mention rankings, probably also something that doesn't matter a whole lot here. SLU ranks pretty consistently on PD Ranking (73) and USNEWS Research (74). USF is much lower on PD (93) but higher on USNEWS (47). Frankly, call them both mid-tier and ignore the numbers.

I'd lean SLU for 1) P/F preclinical, 2) shorter pre-clinical curriculum, and 3) probably a lower COA and little better weather (IMO, as I hate FL humidity). The rest are probably a wash or maybe somewhat immaterial (e.g., gym). Agree with most of your neutrals but I think SLU might be a little stronger from match perspective. I think you can get enough research at SLU. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user