SLUSOM vs. CWRUSOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NewtonianSolid43

Reaction score
Hey y'all! I'm super grateful to have gotten two acceptances this cycle so far from schools I would be excited to attend. However, I want to put together a proper list of pros and cons for what I should look for in both schools and then decide where to go. Here's a list of things I've gotten down so far, but let me know if there is anything else I should look for or if you have a decision suggestion.

1) Case Western Reserve University SOM:
Pros:
- True P/F school
- No class rankings as well
- The IQ program seems VERY interesting, and I learn better from case studies
- Health Education Campus: I LOVE the HEC and find it conducive to an academic environment.
- Teaching hospitals are top-notch & I'm already very familiar with UH & the CC
- City: I love Cleveland since I'm from the Midwest and am used to its weather issues.
- Research: I'm not the biggest fan, but I found it pretty easy to get research opportunities here
- Support system: I've got all my friends from undergrad here so I wouldn't go crazy.

Cons:
- Size: ~214 people (I don't think this is a genuine con, to be honest, but I liked having a smaller class size at my undergrad)
- Travel: 6 hours away from home by car, which is quite a bit.
- COA: $103,154 (holy smokes)

2) Saint Louis University SOM:
Pros:
- Better weather (compared to Cleveland)
- Close to WashU (can't hurt, right? Could do research there as well, I presume)
- Size: ~180 people (not that different from CWRU, but could make a difference)
- COA: $87,228
- Travel: 4-5 hours away from home by car. Not as much as CWRU, and it is probably more doable to travel by train.

Cons:
- P/F preclinicals; honors, near-honors, & P/F for the clinical years
- Students are ranked by quartile (sent to residency programs)
- Traditional curriculum
- Completely new environment, so no support system outside of being closer to home.

Final Summary: While I'm already acquainted with CWRU as a school, SLU would be an excellent opportunity to go to a school that is a bit closer to home and cheaper than CWRU. However, CWRU has the benefit of having the true P/F curriculum, which may be better for my mental health in the long run than being closer to home. Let me know y'all's thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.