SM fellowships with significant performing arts experience

Started by pm647
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pm647

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My background prior to medical school included being a performer for 10+ years and I am really interested in working with dancers/actors/musicians/etc after fellowship. I am applying for sports med fellowship this year, so I was wondering if there are any programs that anyone knows of that have significant exposure to working with performing artists.

Thanks.
 
Those docs usually build rapport or market themselves as such. Keeping in contact with prior directors, choreographers may help. Location will be important too... NYC, LA, Atlanta, etc.

Start networking now.
 
I know that there are some PM&R programs that have performing arts-focused divisions. I have not listened to this podcast episode bu the Undifferentiated Medical Student had an episode on this:

 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know that there are some PM&R programs that have performing arts-focused divisions. I have not listened to this podcast episode bu the Undifferentiated Medical Student had an episode on this:


That guy actually runs a performing arts medicine fellowship now! Performing Arts Medicine Fellowship - Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine

Also I think fellowships that have university team coverage will get you exposure to the college dance patients, but I agree with above that it's all about networking and showing your interests to the performing arts. You treat one dancer right, you get their friends, etc. Also look at programs that have a sponsorship with the local city ballet/symphony.

Also look into PAMA - Performing Arts Medicine Association.