Small Animal/Exotics Rotating Internships

Started by hwolfe
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

hwolfe

KSU CVM C/O 2015
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm looking to get some insight on rotating internships. A little background on myself - the majority of my experience is split between exotic/zoo and small animal. My primary focus is to become boarded in zoological medicine, but a close second is becoming boarded in cardiology. Hopefully I will figure this out through my upcoming zoo externships!

I'm looking for places that are good precursors to exotics-oriented veterinarians, but that will provide a well-rounded experience. I'll be applying through VIRMP in the next month. I know there are some internships that are notorious for treating their interns terribly. Ideally I'd like to stay away from those 😉 Any advice would be great!
 
Any academic internship is a good choice. Also, Oradell is a small animal internship known for having their interns go on to do well in zoo medicine. Many other private practices would work out as well. Just make sure you get a chance to hear the real deal from the current interns. If you're not allowed to talk to current interns, don't apply.