Small Animal/Exotics Rotating Internships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hwolfe

KSU CVM C/O 2015
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to get some insight on rotating internships. A little background on myself - the majority of my experience is split between exotic/zoo and small animal. My primary focus is to become boarded in zoological medicine, but a close second is becoming boarded in cardiology. Hopefully I will figure this out through my upcoming zoo externships!

I'm looking for places that are good precursors to exotics-oriented veterinarians, but that will provide a well-rounded experience. I'll be applying through VIRMP in the next month. I know there are some internships that are notorious for treating their interns terribly. Ideally I'd like to stay away from those ;) Any advice would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

Any academic internship is a good choice. Also, Oradell is a small animal internship known for having their interns go on to do well in zoo medicine. Many other private practices would work out as well. Just make sure you get a chance to hear the real deal from the current interns. If you're not allowed to talk to current interns, don't apply.