Small state, small chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NoDakENT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi - I just joined the site and have been reading over the Oto/HNS topics on this site and have found them very helpful. I was hoping I could get some honest input from others who have gone through this.
My school (Univ of North Dakota) does not have an Oto/HNS program and, from what I have been told, little to no research is being conducted in the area, because the practicing physicians are just too busy with OR/clinic duties to have time for any research on the side. From what I've understood on this site, research is a near-must to be considered competitive for residency matching, and that smaller projects like case reports are not much help in that department. It seems like case reports would really be my only option for any publishable material. I have set up a couple of away rotations, and have decent data (Step I 245, HP/Honors in 3rd-yr rotations, 2 non-ENT research projects), and was wondering what my real chances are, additionally considering my smaller school. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Here are my 2 cents having just endured the match. I would say that research is a big plus, but if the rest of your application is strong you can overcome little or no research. From what it sounds like you have some non-ENT research. If you could publish anything from those and throw a ENT case report in the mix I think you wouldn't be at a disadvantage except at major research-based programs (i.e. top 20 type places). I haven't looked at this years NRMP match data for ENT, but in the past people have consistently matched w/o research. Another hurdle you may face at a ENT-less institution is strong letters of rec. Plan your aways carefully so you can at least get one strong letter from a well known academic ENT. Good luck. I think with a good stats and a smart application strategy you have a good chance. PM with any further ?s.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your main problem is good (hopefully strong) LORs from known academic ENTs. You should focus on that. Most ENT programs don't care that much about research like the above poster, but every program cares about LORs.

Nevertheless, you have good shot based on your scores.

Good luck.

Here are my 2 cents having just endured the match. I would say that research is a big plus, but if the rest of your application is strong you can overcome little or no research. From what it sounds like you have some non-ENT research. If you could publish anything from those and throw a ENT case report in the mix I think you wouldn't be at a disadvantage except at major research-based programs (i.e. top 20 type places). I haven't looked at this years NRMP match data for ENT, but in the past people have consistently matched w/o research. Another hurdle you may face at a ENT-less institution is strong letters of rec. Plan your aways carefully so you can at least get one strong letter from a well known academic ENT. Good luck. I think with a good stats and a smart application strategy you have a good chance. PM with any further ?s.
What exactly does this mean? How do you do this?

Your main problem is good (hopefully strong) LORs from known academic ENTs. You should focus on that. Most ENT programs don't care that much about research like the above poster, but every program cares about LORs.

Nevertheless, you have good shot based on your scores.

Good luck.
Being that I am from a non-ENT location, I guess I am not too familiar with who some of the more known academic ENTs are. I tried some internet searching, but have not come up with much. Any suggestions?