SMART goals for pharmacy department

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NEUPharmD2016

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Posting here for some ideas...
I graduated a couple years ago but youre all still an amazong network of thoughts and support.
I need help!
My director has asked us to come up qoth a SMART goal for the departmwnt as a whole. I qork in a rehab hospital so these patients are leaving acute care hospitals and going home but come for rehab so we do a lot in terms of med rec and diacharge counseling.
I just dont know what to write as a goal bc ive only been here for 6 weeks!
So a SMART goal is specific, measurable, acheivable, relevant, and time. Google for more info :
Any ideas you guys have will help!

So far all I can think of is coming with a program or protocol to start giving suggestions to the doctors to deprescribe PPIs bc everyone and their mother here is on one

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I thought “T” stood for time, not attainable.

But with the PPI thing maybe instead of DC’ing everyone, the goal might be better if you stated not more than X% leave on a PPI
LOL youre right! its time. thanks. For the ppi’s, i was thinking that instead of striaght up deprescribng, since we are a rehab hospital, some MDs dont want to dc meds that a pt’s PCP put them on so Im thinking that like, “by X date, begin documenting interventions on at least 90% of patients taking PPIs for an appropriate indication or for MD to recommend PCP follow up if no indication is given.”
We’re a for-profit hospital, so I think saving every penny matters. Most of these pt’s DONT have an indication for it OR docs are using it for stress ulcer ppx which, recent data shows, is no longer a good reason unless the patient is critically ill. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad :)
Antibiotic IV to PO switch and then d/c’ing abx seems like a place to start.

Especially if your program isn’t keeping up with abx stewardship already.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Antibiotic IV to PO switch and then d/c’ing abx seems like a place to start.

Especially if your program isn’t keeping up with abx stewardship already.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I thought about that, but weve already got an ASP program going so another pharmacist is taking the lead on that. We need a “universal pharmacy department goal” she only gave us 2 days to think of one lol

Reactions: 1 user
I cant think of anything specific since i'm not familiar with your organization and its objectives. You might have an easier time if you have more clarity about the objectives of the pharmacy department, and then think of goals that would help the department's objectives better align with the organization as a whole (such as how to increase revenue/cut costs). Maybe the SMART goal can be something along the lines of "in 6 months from now, x% of the pharmacy department will clearly understand what the objectives of the department are and how they are aligned with the strategic priorities of the organization". (I am half joking, dont actually propose this, your boss might think you are being a smarta$$. Though i dont think it is a bad idea to get some more clarity from your director about what they think their objectives are).

First off, I'd stop qorking while at work.

What if HR finds out?

Reactions: 1 user