Smart questions to ask your interviewers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dabumba

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
HELP.....

What are some smart questions to ask your interviewers when being asked: "do you have any questions for us?"

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

dabumba said:
HELP.....

What are some smart questions to ask your interviewers when being asked: "do you have any questions for us?"

Thanks.

At my interview, I asked the professor how long they had been afilliated with the school. Asked about research interests and maybe even why they decided to teach at this school.

For the student interviewer, I asked them basic questions dealing with student life-- housing, how they like the curriculum, etc.

Basically, this is your chance to get their perspective on the school. I believe it is better to use this time to ask them questions that you cannot obtain from the school's website. Good luck at your interview! :luck:

I asked things like:
1) If they felt that it was a competative or cooperative environment for students
2) What things about their program they felt set them apart
3) What sort of unique opportunities during rotations they offered
4) If it was possible for students to work on research projects
5) How my interviewer (faculty member) came to be where they are
6) What sort of jobs/residencies/etc their graduates did

Really you should ask questions about things that matter to you and will help you pick between programs if you get into more than one.

Members don't see this ad :)
My best question was "What's the most common problem or question that you get from first year students?"

I remember reading it earlier on this forum. :thumbup:

One of the toughest questions they can ask you is "What are some of your weaknesses?" Flip the script and and ask them, "What are some of the weak areas you feel the program could improve on?" Its a good way to learn a little more about the school, not to mention a have little fun by putting them on the spot.

CincyPrePharm06 said:
One of the toughest questions they can ask you is "What are some of your weaknesses?" Flip the script and and ask them, "What are some of the weak areas you feel the program could improve on?" Its a good way to learn a little more about the school, not to mention a have little fun by putting them on the spot.

You guys are fantasctic! Thanks a lot.

This can be a great way to show the interviewers that you know a little about the school and are looking far past traditional coursework...

Throughout my interview I plan on letting them know that I'm interested in becoming a geriatric certified pharmacist... my question will be..

"I see that you offer a course in Geriatric Pharmacotherapy, could you tell me about that elective?"

This way, the interviewers see that you are genuinely interested in a particular program offered at the school... You involve yourself in the interview and show them a great deal about your future plans.

They LOVE it when you ask about graduates doing residencies and how many graduates stay in the area as opposed to moving away after school. I asked "about how many graduates go on to do residencies as opposed to enter the workforce" and the interviewer said "wow...great question" so ask about that if you're interested. I also asked about a few of the electives offered.

CincyPrePharm06 said:

I tried this one at a couple of places and I always got the generic, "well we are constantly striving to improve and always looking for areas that need revision....." so i kinda felt like THEY had a rehearsed answer to that particular question! It worked a little better when I asked a student interviewer though.

It may be overkill for most, but I brushed up on the research focus for most of the non-practice faculty. My background is in biomedical research, so I was pretty certain that I'd get a a Ph.D interviewer, which was correct. Being able to discuss his work from an informed perspective (albeit novice in his area of interest) was a big plus. We ended up going well over the interview time, and my "interest" in his work prompted his interest in my work, so it was a good strategy in the end as it allowed me to focus on my area of expertise. It ended up being a faculty member with an area of interest completely unrelated to my background, so I would have been clueless if not for reading a few of his recent publications. The caveat is that I only applied to one school and thus was able to focus on the ~20 researchers most directly affiliated with the program. If I was interviewing at 5 schools over a months duration, like many here, it would have been very difficult to assimilate the background to the extent that could be applied during an interview.

jbe4 said:
It may be overkill for most, but I brushed up on the research focus for most of the non-practice faculty. My background is in biomedical research, so I was pretty certain that I'd get a a Ph.D interviewer, which was correct. Being able to discuss his work from an informed perspective (albeit novice in his area of interest) was a big plus. We ended up going well over the interview time, and my "interest" in his work prompted his interest in my work, so it was a good strategy in the end as it allowed me to focus on my area of expertise. It ended up being a faculty member with an area of interest completely unrelated to my background, so I would have been clueless if not for reading a few of his recent publications. The caveat is that I only applied to one school and thus was able to focus on the ~20 researchers most directly affiliated with the program. If I was interviewing at 5 schools over a months duration, like many here, it would have been very difficult to assimilate the background to the extent that could be applied during an interview.

You use big words! Anyone that is interested in studying for the PCAT - just read this response and you'll be good to go on the verbal and reading comprehension sections.