smartphone cover for interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pedantic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i just got an iphone 6. I'm going on interviews this fall. Any ideas on iphone covers to get (or not get) that would be professional? ... obviously a hot pink cover with hello kitty would be not appropriate.

Members don't see this ad.

Why would anyone see your phone cover at an interview?

Reactions: 29 users
The most professional cover you can get is the cover of your pocket. Don't take out your phone and you should be golden pony boy.

Kind of a pedantic question tbh.

Haha, see what I did there :p

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So i just got an iphone 6. I'm going on interviews this fall. Any ideas on iphone covers to get (or not get) that would be professional? ... obviously a hot pink cover with hello kitty would be not appropriate.

I think the Otterbox Commuter is one of the best, get it with tempered glass screen cover, its kind of expensive but worth it to protect your phone, as the iPhone 6 is kind of fragile. A broken screen can cost over 100 dollars to fix, and the iPhone 6 is rather fragile compared to the 5s. The Otterbox Commuter is actually better than the Defender when you add a Tempered Glass Screen Cover. Its more sleek looking and not as bulky.

The Lifeproof 6 Fre is another excellent one for the Iphone 6, which makes your phone waterproof.

I would avoid the cheap brands of iPhone cases, especially since you chose a fancy phone, why not splurge on a good quality case to protect your investment?

If you want to keep it professional keep your phone out of sight and off during your interview.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If you want to look professional with your smartphone, I recommend a leather notebook style one would be your best choice. Here is a link to an example:

Leather case

This one is specifically cowhide and I know that might not roll with other people so remember synthetic leather is a great alternative

If you want to look professional with your smartphone, I recommend a leather notebook style one would be your best choice. Here is a link to an example:

Leather case

This one is specifically cowhide and I know that might not roll with other people so remember synthetic leather is a great alternative

The leather cases offer little protection to the phone, and if you really want to look professional you want to keep your mobile phone out of sight and turned off or silent in front of an admissions committee.

Reactions: 3 users
Is this a serious post? If you think showing off your phone is going to be professional I fear for the rest of your app

Reactions: 2 users
The leather cases offer little protection to the phone, and if you really want to look professional you want to keep your mobile phone out of sight and turned off or silent in front of an admissions committee.

This x100. I actually left my cell phone in the car on all of my interviews. Not only because you don't want it ringing/vibrating during any part of interview day, but also because you don't want to read or hear something that's going to distract you. If you're one of those people that desperately need to keep it with you, turn it off during the interview day. There are few times when making a first impression in person will be that important, anything that could risk tarnishing that should be avoided at all costs.

Reactions: 1 users
This x100. I actually left my cell phone in the car on all of my interviews. Not only because you don't want it ringing/vibrating during any part of interview day, but also because you don't want to read or hear something that's going to distract you. If you're one of those people that desperately need to keep it with you, turn it off during the interview day. There are few times when making a first impression in person will be that important, anything that could risk tarnishing that should be avoided at all costs.

Its better just to have a digital wrist watch and keep your cell phone in your car when going to an interview.

Don't bring your phone to interview. Leave it in your bag (turned off).

Rolex

Or similar.

Agree with all of the above. Get hot pink with Hello Kitty if you want, since it shouldn't leave your bag, car or pocket while you're there for the interview anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
get the school's logo and pull it out as often as possible to prove how much you love them

If someone's seeing your phone, you already dun goofed. What are you actually going to be doing, playing Candy Crush while waiting for an interview?

I've got a Pebble watch and find that's a pretty easy way to keep up on texts, e-mails, etc. without having to pull out your phone if you feel compelled to check your phone constantly.

If you're one of those people that desperately need to keep it with you, ...

Then you DEFINITELY need to leave it in your car because you're so addicted you will most likely pull it out at exactly the wrong time.

LOL at all those who are saying keep it in your pocket or purse. You guys are spot on. I should not see your phone at any time during the introduction, orientation, tour, or interview.

If you plan on keeping your phone during residency then I highly recommend an OtterBox or something similar. Youd be surprised how often it will fall out of your pocket or you'll drop it and you just don't have time as a resident to go get it repaired

LOL at all those who are saying keep it in your pocket or purse. You guys are spot on. I should not see your phone at any time during the introduction, orientation, tour, or interview.

If you plan on keeping your phone during residency then I highly recommend an OtterBox or something similar. Youd be surprised how often it will fall out of your pocket or you'll drop it and you just don't have time as a resident to go get it repaired
I want to bring my selfie stick though. :(

What kind of stereo is classy for me to carry on my shoulder when I'm bored during the interview and wanna listen to some pac

What kind of stereo is classy for me to carry on my shoulder when I'm bored during the interview and wanna listen to some pac
I'd recommend the AIWA TPR-950. Just make sure if you're at a California school you blast California Love. Guaranteed acceptance.

But no, seriously, never take your phone out during an interview - medical school or job. It would be an auto-rejection.

But no, seriously, never take your phone out during an interview - medical school or job. It would be an auto-rejection.
Sounds like a dumb reason to auto-reject someone. Maybe if they were on the edge to begin with.

Sounds like a dumb reason to auto-reject someone. Maybe if they were on the edge to begin with.
Perhaps, but think about the message it sends.

If you're checking your phone while someone else is speaking and talking about something that's ostensibly important to you it tells me that you think it's not important, that you're special and/or have better things to do or are oblivious to normal social behavior.

Those things are more telling about a potential applicant than their step one score.

The only possible exception would be an applicant who comes in and tells the program coordinator something like, "My father is in the ICU and my family knows I'm here. They've promised not to call unless it's urgent but if I do receive a call I may need to step away to take it at an opportune time if that's OK." Otherwise I just think you're a jerk.

Perhaps, but think about the message it sends.

If you're checking your phone while someone else is speaking and talking about something that's ostensibly important to you it tells me that you think it's not important, that you're special and/or have better things to do or are oblivious to normal social behavior.

Those things are more telling about a potential applicant than their step one score.

The only possible exception would be an applicant who comes in and tells the program coordinator something like, "My father is in the ICU and my family knows I'm here. They've promised not to call unless it's urgent but if I do receive a call I may need to step away to take it at an opportune time if that's OK." Otherwise I just think you're a jerk.
Oh yeah, for sure. If someone's talking and you look at your phone, it's just plain disrespectful. But if you're just sitting around at the interview and you decide to pull out your phone for a second, I don't think it's that bad.

Oh yeah, for sure. If someone's talking and you look at your phone, it's just plain disrespectful. But if you're just sitting around at the interview and you decide to pull out your phone for a second, I don't think it's that bad.
But there is so much more you could be doing to interact with those giving the tour, the other students, the staff, basically everyone else around you. The overall point is that you need to be present and focused 100% on the school the moment you walk onto the campus. Your interview is much more than the 30 minutes with a faculty member, it is every moment you are there.

Reactions: 2 users