Smdep 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
oh and one more question im going to be getting my app in by the first week of Jan but i mean if thats too late, applying after Feb 1st would that be better, because from my understanding feb 1st is the second batch .... idk how it works

Members don't see this ad.

oh and one more question im going to be getting my app in by the first week of Jan but i mean if thats too late, applying after Feb 1st would that be better, because from my understanding feb 1st is the second batch .... idk how it works

I think it would be best to call the site and ask them. Plus you are only a freshman so you can try this year and next. Take advantage of that.

So I guess Ill ask this question on this thread .... in hopes of getting it answered.. lol

I have a question!!! Do you guys know how much grades really weigh into the admission process? i have a 3.68 so i guess 3.7..Im a freshman and its my first semester and I mean I was thinking that if Im going to put Yale as one of my choices then I want to know that I at least have a chance of getting in, however I know that a 3.7 gpa and my SAT scores are really not that competitive. Thus, if grades do weigh a lot I wont even bother with Yale. Plus I am not an URM

I'd say go for it! I have asked the same type of question to a friend of mine who has attended the program and your 3.68 (GPAs don't round up) would most definitely not be considered a minus on your application for any site. Just really give a GREAT effort on your essays and turn your application AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE (the "second batch" idea is a misconception, some sites could be completely full before the "second batch" is even processed)

Members don't see this ad :)
Since the site is down, would anyone be as kind as to post the prompts? Silly of me to not copy paste. Diversity and a personal statement, but I just want it from the site and I hate that I'll have to wait until the 3rd :(

Thanks a bunch!
Arc

Since the site is down, would anyone be as kind as to post the prompts? Silly of me to not copy paste. Diversity and a personal statement, but I just want it from the site and I hate that I'll have to wait until the 3rd :(

Thanks a bunch!
Arc

Here you go :):

Diversity Essay

SMDEP seeks individuals who will advance the goals of diversity in the medical and dental profession, reduce health-care disparities, and/or improve health care to underserved populations. Please share your experiences in one or all of these areas. The available space for your response is 5300 characters, or approximately one full page.

Personal Statement (I posted it earlier, but here it is again)
Some questions you might want to consider while drafting this essay are:
· Why are you interested in medicine or dentistry as a profession?

· What motivates you to learn more about medicine or dentistry?
· What do you want program sites to know about you that has not been disclosed in another part of the application?

In addition, you may wish to include such information as:
· What special hardships, challenges, or obstacles may have influenced your educational pursuits?
· What commentary on significant fluctuations in your academic record provides detail that is not explained elsewhere in your application?

Here you go :):

Diversity Essay

SMDEP seeks individuals who will advance the goals of diversity in the medical and dental profession, reduce health-care disparities, and/or improve health care to underserved populations. Please share your experiences in one or all of these areas. The available space for your response is 5300 characters, or approximately one full page.

Personal Statement (I posted it earlier, but here it is again)
Some questions you might want to consider while drafting this essay are:
· Why are you interested in medicine or dentistry as a profession?

· What motivates you to learn more about medicine or dentistry?
· What do you want program sites to know about you that has not been disclosed in another part of the application?

In addition, you may wish to include such information as:
· What special hardships, challenges, or obstacles may have influenced your educational pursuits?
· What commentary on significant fluctuations in your academic record provides detail that is not explained elsewhere in your application?

1536671.aca2d25a.560.jpg

Thanks somepremedkid!

oh and another question, for the diversity essay, would it be okay if i write about racism?

I'm not ready to apply for this yet, I feel it would be all too sudden. I'll do it next year since Sophmores are still eligible. Duke Program. :thumbup:

I'm not ready to apply for this yet, I feel it would be all too sudden. I'll do it next year since Sophmores are still eligible. Duke Program. :thumbup:

You should still try. I wish I had tried my freshmen year. AND I see you are a V fan. Go Fifth Column!!!

You should definitely try! I hope I get into the Duke program, that's my top choice. :xf:

basically the most important thing i learned in this thread is i shouldn't bother applying to most of the prestigious SMDEP programs because im not URM because my chances would be 1/50. What a load of ****.

So I guess Ill ask this question on this thread .... in hopes of getting it answered.. lol

I have a question!!! Do you guys know how much grades really weigh into the admission process? i have a 3.68 so i guess 3.7..Im a freshman and its my first semester and I mean I was thinking that if Im going to put Yale as one of my choices then I want to know that I at least have a chance of getting in, however I know that a 3.7 gpa and my SAT scores are really not that competitive. Thus, if grades do weigh a lot I wont even bother with Yale. Plus I am not an URM

I was a freshman when I applied and with a 3.6 I got in the Yale program - I was also accepted in the Columbia and Duke programs. From what I heard from the other participants there was a wide variety of gpas, so i do think that gpa plays an important role but other factors also play a very important role too. I think the essays are really important.

@blackarrowmoose There are plenty non URM that get in too.

how does the SMDEP app work? Do i just apply for all the programs on the SMDEP website or are there individual ones for each?

Im trying to start an application but it keeps saying that the server is down

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone do the other demographic info page? I get an error screen when I try to complete it ;/

I just realized that my "submitted" and "completed" application has a minor error.:mad:. I failed to put my mothers place of residence under the biographical section. Is is this seriously going to screw me over or am I just overreacting?? :scared: Will I have to re-submit the application??? I should call SMDEP in the morning and just chill out...

Last edited:
I'll probably complete my application middle or late January, should i try or is it just way too late?

I know the deadline is Feb 15th, but applications started in November..
also, for other demographic information, there's always an error??

Last edited:
Can anyone do the other demographic info page? I get an error screen when I try to complete it ;/

I had the same problem, i fixed it by switching web browsers, i was currently using Firefox, but then i switched to internet browser and it worked, the county code showed all the lists of numbers. Try it.

I had the same problem and i was reading about it and the website recommended not using Firefox because it might not perform as well as the other browsers.

Good luck!

Last edited:
If I submit my application with this week, would it be too late?

IMPORTANT QUESTION- how do i know which sites are already full this early?

SAT SCORE- 2180
Top 10 liberal arts college
GPA-3.6
Do i have a chance, i'm asian?

I will be applying to UT houston, ucla, and washington? are these competitive? I really want to just get into a program. which ones are less competitive? i have to apply to houston because i live in texas.

If I understand it correctly, the mission of SMDEP is to assist the URMs, disadvantaged students, and also students who are committed to serving the underserved to become successful candidates for the medical school admission. So a high GPA is not a necessity. A student with a high GPA might not need any help to become a successful candidate. However, a URM with a unique background with meaningful essays/activities but with somewhat lacking GPA and scores could be deemed a stronger candidate by the SMDEP sites. Am I wrong in this?

Hey you guys I'm an SMDEP Ambassador (graduate from the program 2010 from University of Texas at Houston Medical and Dental Branch). Let me know if you guys have any questions.

Best advice I can give to applicants is SEND in your applications as soon as you can (including LoRs and transcripts!).

I applied my freshman year and sent it the day it was due and got waitlisted, but applied my sophomore year and sent it a little less than a month and got in!

Just skimmed over some posts.

My program site had a wide range of demographics (by race and where people live). I don't think race plays much of a factor as some people might assume, but again I'm only speaking on what I've observed from my site.

GPA can play a factor, but it's just a factor. It shouldn't deter you from submitting an application! Essays, ECs, etc play a role, if not a larger role.

Also, I think some sites are harder to get into then others (Columbia, Yale, Harvard for example just by prestige). Still, most schools are hard to get into period.

Our statistics for our site was for every 6-7 pre-med applicants, 1 was accepted and for every 5-6 pre-dental applicants, 1 was accepted. This might be slightly higher this year with more and more applicants apply each year.

Last edited:
Hey you guys I'm an SMDEP Ambassador (graduate from the program 2010 from University of Texas at Houston Medical and Dental Branch). Let me know if you guys have any questions.

Best advice I can give to applicants is SEND in your applications as soon as you can (including LoRs and transcripts!).

I applied my freshman year and sent it the day it was due and got waitlisted, but applied my sophomore year and sent it a little less than a month and got in!

Did you submit your application one month before the deadline or one month after the opening of the application? If you don't mind sharing with us, what other sites were you accepted/rejected from and what were your stats?

I have a few questions
When you were waitlisted did you get in still after the waitlist?
Because I found out about this program not too long ago and I will probably complete my app in middle or late January. I'm also applying to less competitive sites such as Nebraska, Louisville, and Houston

The only problem I'm having is with the LOR's, I'm almost a sophomore but i haven't declared a major and one of the LOR's they say have to be from someone from your major field of study... idk what to do

Last edited:
I have a few questions
Because I found out about this program not too long ago and I will probably complete my app in middle or late January. I'm also applying to less competitive sites such as Nebraska, Louisville, and Houston

The only problem I'm having is with the LOR's, I'm almost a sophomore but i haven't declared a major and one of the LOR's they say have to be from someone from your major field of study... idk what to do

If I were you, I would just use a science prof

I only have 22 credits worth, i haven't taken any science classes my first semester.

I'm actually doing bio and chem this spring.

I emailed SMDEP to see what they have to say

Good Idea

I tried using chrome firefox safari and internet explorer to no avail. Anyone else with a mac having trouble on the county code section?

Good Idea

I tried using chrome firefox safari and internet explorer to no avail. Anyone else with a mac having trouble on the county code section?

Internet explorer didn't work? I tried it and
It didnt work at first but if you refresh it should
work. Keep trying with explorer, worked with me finally after two tries with explorer

Did you submit your application one month before the deadline or one month after the opening of the application? If you don't mind sharing with us, what other sites were you accepted/rejected from and what were your stats?
One month before deadline. The earlier the better. Think of it this way. You would be rather going up against a small batch of applications as opposed to the LARGE amount of applications they receive towards the deadline.

I applied to Nebraska and Columbia and were rejected from both. To each his own :). I was going to go to Houston anyways just because I'm very interested in going to that school.

I had a 4.0 Science/Overall with a good amount of community service and leadership roles. I shadowed about 20 hours leading up to the program. My family I would define as middle class urban. Probably off a little better than most. Again, I wouldn't be discouraged if you feel like your race/class/wealth will scare off the adcoms. If you have the drive and passion and it reflects in your app, you will be accepted into one of the programs.

I have a few questions

No I did not. I emailed Rebecca and she said if someone drops out from the program. That year I did not get in. Lesson learned! Submit your app early can't stress that enough.

And LoRs. I'm not sure if they changed it this year but I received my LoR from my pre-health advisor. I asked her very nicely and she wrote me a LoR. Find someone that would write you a nice LoR! It doesn't necessarily have to be from a science professor, but more power to you if can get one. Again, I would check with the site to verify the types of LoRs that are acceptable.

EDIT:
Safari for Mac users won't work on some parts of the application. I would recommend either downloading Internet Explorer/Firefox or using one of your library's computers when working on your app.

Would it be fine to apply with no science classes at all?

I'll have 22 credits worth, non-science

I have been involved in volunteer work tho, i planned on doing everything else later, becasue i just found out about this program not too long ago, I'm wrote the essay's and i think i did extremely good on those, those are weighed heavily right?

But yea the only thing that obviously might kill me is applying late...... ;/

Random (again) I called Yale and asked how they review the apps and three different people read the apps and if one of them don't like it at any point the app is denied. Idk about you guys but that scares the crap out of me.

ahhh :eek:. . .yale is reviewing my app!. . .maybe i should stop checking my status so much, it's making me nervous!

Does it show you which site is reviewing your app on the website?
like the status of your app?

Yes, when I click on "View Status", next to Yale School of Medicine it says Application in Review.

kk that's tight, yea i officially submitted my app today lol kinda late but worth the try!

Hey I'm also a little late in the process. I was just wondering, how long did you spend on your essays? I've spent a few days so far on my personal comments and it's starting to shape up hopefully.

By the way, good luck!

Hey I'm also a little late in the process. I was just wondering, how long did you spend on your essays? I've spent a few days so far on my personal comments and it's starting to shape up hopefully.

By the way, good luck!

It took me roughly 3 hours for each. I actually already had a rough draft for my personal statement because i always had mine saved for future purposes pertaining to anything medicine-related ;p

Good luck to you too man!

The only thing that sucks, is that this program is basically a first come first serve type thing, so the only thing that might be holding me back is applying at this time, but might as well. If it doesn't work there's always next year.

It took me roughly 3 hours for each. I actually already had a rough draft for my personal statement because i always had mine saved for future purposes pertaining to anything medicine-related ;p

Good luck to you too man!

The only thing that sucks, is that this program is basically a first come first serve type thing, so the only thing that might be holding me back is applying at this time, but might as well. If it doesn't work there's always next year.

Good to hear. Yeah I kind of started from scratch more or less. But yeah I'm applying to UMDNJ, UT Houston, and Nebraska. More of the less competitive seeing as we are a little behind haha.

Hopefully finishing essays by tomorrow night.
Maybe I'll see you who knows lol.

Good to hear. Yeah I kind of started from scratch more or less. But yeah I'm applying to UMDNJ, UT Houston, and Nebraska. More of the less competitive seeing as we are a little behind haha.

Hopefully finishing essays by tomorrow night.
Maybe I'll see you who knows lol.

That's good, yea i just basically finished everything today, asked for LOR's and sent my official transcript.

Ha yea I also applied to the less competitive ones ;p Nebraska, Louisville, and Houston.
Lol yea maybe were applying to 2 of the same sites

That's good, yea i just basically finished everything today, asked for LOR's and sent my official transcript.

Ha yea I also applied to the less competitive ones ;p Nebraska, Louisville, and Houston.
Lol yea maybe were applying to 2 of the same sites

Just sent you a pm

Hi everyone,

How long did it take for your transcripts to be processed? I sent mine on 11/30 and it still hasn't been received. Sent it again this week just in case. Did it take this long for you?

Thanks

Hi everyone,

How long did it take for your transcripts to be processed? I sent mine on 11/30 and it still hasn't been received. Sent it again this week just in case. Did it take this long for you?

Thanks

I sent mine in on 11/23 and they were processed on 12/15, so it seems that yours should be processed by now. . .but we also have to take into account the fact that the office closed for the holidays. . .I would call and ask about it if I were you

Will the designated sites start reviewing the application if only the LORs have not been recieved?? Any one know? I feel like I am falling behind in the race for a spot. :confused:

Will the designated sites start reviewing the application if only the LORs have not been recieved?? Any one know? I feel like I am falling behind in the race for a spot. :confused:

Just check on the websites on a regular basis and click on "view status" but yea I'm not sure when they look at it

I just got off the phone with the NPO and they said that my app is disqualified because I am a sophomore with junior academic standing due to AP credits and concurrent enrollment credits earned in high school. They said they only go by what my class standing is listed as on my transcript, which indicates junior, but I am only in my 2nd year of college. The transcript also indicates my graduation year of 2013, clarifying my status as a 2nd year. The people at the NPO I spoke with on the phone did not seem too knowledgeable about this issue. Is any one else in this situation or know anything about it?

I just got off the phone with the NPO and they said that my app is disqualified because I am a sophomore with junior academic standing due to AP credits and concurrent enrollment credits earned in high school. They said they only go by what my class standing is listed as on my transcript, which indicates junior, but I am only in my 2nd year of college. The transcript also indicates my graduation year of 2013, clarifying my status as a 2nd year. The people at the NPO I spoke with on the phone did not seem too knowledgeable about this issue. Is any one else in this situation or know anything about it?

How many credits do you have?

It's usually
0-29 Freshman
30-59 Sophomore
60-89 Junior
90+ Senior

How many credits do you have?

It's usually
0-29 Freshman
30-59 Sophomore
60-89 Junior
90+ Senior

I have earned 52 units from my institution, 28 AP units, and 10 units from a CC while in high school. That would be a total of 90 units and by your estimates I would be a senior in terms of units. Regardless, I am not going to graduate until 2013 because of gen ed requirements, major requirements, etc... I contacted the program sites I applied to and they said advanced credit does not count, while the NPO says it only matters what I am classified as on my transcript, regardless of advanced credit. I asked this question to several program sites prior to applying to ensure that I was eligible. That ensured me that I was eligible because I am a 2nd year college student. My app has been submitted and completed for some time now. But I guess that and what the program sites think will mean nothing if the NPO does not forward my app for review.

Dang i just sent mine yesterday 1/5/11

When do you think it would be processed, 10 days?
Hi torshi, it will probably take 10 days to process your transcript. I emailed the office and they found my transcript. If it's not there after 10 days, you might want to email them to make sure they didn't lose it.