Smdep 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutMedStudent

FutMedStudent
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I created this thread in order to exchange information between the SMDEP 2011 Summer Appllicants. Future applicant and SMDEP members, if you received acceptances/rejections; please let us know your stats (date applied, GPA, Essays topic, #LORS). The sites you were accepted or rejected from.

Past SMDEP members, you are also invited to leave any comments on your past experiences as SMDEP participants. Some questions you might want to answer are, Where did you go?, what did you like or dislike about the site?

Thank You, Hope this helps for all the SMDEP 2011 applicants..
:)

Members don't see this ad.

yep, i've completed the app!. . .now just waiting until the 15th :)

Guys I did this program at Columbia a couple years ago and it has really been a blessing. Please apply early and those who are freshmen don't worry about your grades not being in...they will save some spots for you all. Good luck and if you have any questions ask them here and I will try to answer them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am almost complete with my essays and have asked for LORs. The application asks for post-secondary activities so I have listed only the activities after the high school graduation. This is somewhat limited since I'm a freshman. Can I include high school activities?

Last edited:
Hi back12, adding high school activities would probably be fine since they accept recommendations from high school teachers. I would use the most important activities from high school, like if you were an officer or something. Ideally, you would just have post-sec experiences. I think you can add multiple ethnicities on the racial background section (at least I could, but I am hispanic so maybe that's why), so you can put that you're part URM there.

I created this thread in order to exchange information between the SMDEP 2011 Summer Appllicants. Future applicant and SMDEP members, if you received acceptances/rejections; please let us know your stats (date applied, GPA, Essays topic, #LORS). The sites you were accepted or rejected from.

Past SMDEP members, you are also invited to leave any comments on your past experiences as SMDEP participants. Some questions you might want to answer are, Where did you go?, what did you like or dislike about the site?

Thank You, Hope this helps for all the SMDEP 2011 applicants..
:)

Nice thread FutMedStudent,
I applied last year around this time as well and finished the application by first week of january. I got acceptances in UMDNJ at Robert Wood, Howard, and University of Texas. Columbia was closed because it was full(of course:rolleyes:). Those are the only four schools I applied to but I ended up not going to the SMDEP program. I still recommend the program because I heard great things about it.

let's see, i got letters of recommendation from my chemistry professor, my comparative literature professor and my pre-health advisor. The essay topic was just about describing yourself and tell us about your career goals, no problem there. I was a bit nervous of applying to this program because I screwed up first semester freshman year(2.465) but I quickly recovered and applied after getting my 1st semester sophomore year grades( Freshman Second Semester: 3.925, Sophomore Second Semester: 3.425).

Best of luck to you guys. You will get into at least one if you apply early or after Feb 1st and enjoy the program.

My top three choices are Columbia, Yale and UMDNJ.

I know that the application opened on November 1st and my advisor told me to apply as soon as possible, but I'm still a first year student and I was pretty sure that I did horrible my first semester, so I'm like, I should wait until my sophomore year. But my grades came back and they're pretty alright, so I decided to go ahead and apply but my professors want me to wait until the 18th so that they can send in their recommendation letters, because that's when we come back from winter intermission and then if we send in everything on the 18th, it takes ten business days to process everything...

Do you guys think I have much of a chance left?

I finished my app a few days ago. Chose Duke, Case Western, and UW. Now just waiting for my LOR's and transcript to be received. What are some of your GPA's? Mine was a cumulative of (2.9). I know that is a little low, but I wrote great essays and got my app in early. Hope my low GPA doesn't affect my chances. :eek::xf:

I have the exact same gpa as you and was freaking out as well. I'm still applying but I doubt i'll make it in this year. Even though several people have told me non-minorities can/should apply I highly doubt I'll be one of those lucky few to get in :(

I just submitted my application and have arranged for LORs and a transcript to be sent. I'm confused. From the past thread, it sounds like the sites seem to email decisions within 10 days of the receipt of all materials. However, according to the official SMDEP site, the decision will be announced on the 15th. When do we actually find out the decision? Btw, I have applied to UT-Houston, Columbia, and New Jersey. Also, I'm a freshman (part URM) with 4.0 Fall semester GPA - would the high GPA be a minus in my application?

Do you guys think I have much of a chance left?

Of course! If it doesn't work out, there's always next year...

Also, I'm going with the website and saying that the admission decisions will be released on the 15th (but I'm not entirely sure either).

I'm a sophomore and I applied to UVA, Howard, and UW. I have a 3.84 GPA, but I have no idea when my transcript and LORs will be received! My school sent my transcript without the street address (!!), so I'm going to have to resend it. And I accidentally told my profs that the LORs were due on Feb 15th, not the 1st... I hope I make the early deadline!

Back12, I don't see why a 4.0 would adversely affect you! Don't worry so much :)

apply early! and essays are a must : make sure they are genuine and say why you want the program: what you hope to gain/learn from the program.

When is it too late to apply? I just learned about the program from this thread, so I'm a little behind. Would mid-to-end of January be too late? Also, I'm a sophomore (in case that changes anything).

Edit: I'm not a minority.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
For the personal comments section, is that just like a personal statement about why I am interested in medicine?

When is it too late to apply? I just learned about the program from this thread, so I'm a little behind. Would mid-to-end of January be too late? Also, I'm a sophomore (in case that changes anything).

Edit: I'm not a minority.

Thanks!

I don't think January is too late by any means, especially because the first decisions are released in february or march I think.

I applied to Duke, UW, and Case Western. I am waiting for my LOR's and transcripts. Any one apply to theses schools?

I have the exact same gpa as you and was freaking out as well. I'm still applying but I doubt i'll make it in this year. Even though several people have told me non-minorities can/should apply I highly doubt I'll be one of those lucky few to get in :(

Not to discourage you but ... I'm white and I applied last year and got rejected by Yale, Columbia, and UMDNJ. I had an excellent GPA, LORs, etc. (I think my GPA was something like a 3.9?) The head of the Biology department at my school had written one of my LORs and forewarned me not to be surprised if I was rejected due to not being an underrepresented minority. :\

I was going to ask if anyone here is NOT URM and got accepted? I'm about to submit my application but now I'm thinking twice if it's worth it. Don't want to waste the time of my professors to write me LORs for a program that will throw my application in the garbage because I'm not black or hispanic.

For the personal comments section, is that just like a personal statement about why I am interested in medicine?

It's something that could be mentioned in your personal comment. If you click on the help icon, titled essays, it lists things you could talk about. I copied and pasted the info below:

Some questions you might want to consider while drafting this essay are:
· Why are you interested in medicine or dentistry as a profession?
· What motivates you to learn more about medicine or dentistry?
· What do you want program sites to know about you that has not been disclosed in another part of the application?

In addition, you may wish to include such information as:
· What special hardships, challenges, or obstacles may have influenced your educational pursuits?
· What commentary on significant fluctuations in your academic record provides detail that is not explained elsewhere in your application?

Not to discourage you but ... I'm white and I applied last year and got rejected by Yale, Columbia, and UMDNJ. I had an excellent GPA, LORs, etc. (I think my GPA was something like a 3.9?) The head of the Biology department at my school had written one of my LORs and forewarned me not to be surprised if I was rejected due to not being an underrepresented minority. :\

I was going to ask if anyone here is NOT URM and got accepted? I'm about to submit my application but now I'm thinking twice if it's worth it. Don't want to waste the time of my professors to write me LORs for a program that will throw my application in the garbage because I'm not black or hispanic.

Columbia,Yale, and Duke are the most competitive sites. Yes there are going to cater to the URMS... fyi..When I applied I had a 4.0, good LORS, disadvantage (from a single parent household) and I am African American male.. Every year it gets a little more competitive. When I was at Columbia SMDEP.. there were Whites and Asians.. but these people were something special. It would be best if you applied to less competitive sites like Houston,Nebraska and Kentucky... hell, even when I applied I had a safety site.

Columbia,Yale, and Duke are the most competitive sites. Yes there are going to cater to the URMS... fyi..When I applied I had a 4.0, good LORS, disadvantage (from a single parent household) and I am African American male.. Every year it gets a little more competitive. When I was at Columbia SMDEP.. there were Whites and Asians.. but these people were something special. It would be best if you applied to less competitive sites like Houston,Nebraska and Kentucky... hell, even when I applied I had a safety site.

I come from a single parent household, does that make me disadvantaged? And I live in NJ. Columbia and UMDNJ are driving distance from me. Yale is somewhat close by and I know people who live in the area. Houston and Nebraska are in the middle of nowhere on the other side of the country. I chose to apply to sites nearby.

Hey guys, I was wondering if you could tell me how you guys submitted your transcripts. Is it required to have your college send them directly to SMDEP? I got the official transcript with me and I was just going to send it in along with my LORs. And if I took community college classes, will they need a transcript from that too? Is there a way to let them know that I'm sending two transcripts ( from different colleges). I'm just a bit confused about this part. Appreciate the help!

So there's no use applying if you're not a URM even if you go to a top 25 school? I felt I could be somewhat competitive for some of the sites if I did (excluding my first semester GPA) since I already have several EC's going.

ATX90......

In your application, you have to mention the schools you have attended; even if it a community college. I attended a community colllege and i had to send the transcripts.... Quick advice...... do not send the transcripts by mail, i sent my transcripts overnight and i had to ask the school to send them directly from their office.....

Good Luck......

I come from a single parent household, does that make me disadvantaged? And I live in NJ. Columbia and UMDNJ are driving distance from me. Yale is somewhat close by and I know people who live in the area. Houston and Nebraska are in the middle of nowhere on the other side of the country. I chose to apply to sites nearby.

Cut the umbilical cord... I am from Texas but applied to Washington, Columbia and Nebraska... I mean come on -___- there is a travel stipend.

So there's no use applying if you're not a URM even if you go to a top 25 school? I felt I could be somewhat competitive for some of the sites if I did (excluding my first semester GPA) since I already have several EC's going.

It is a minority program first and foremost. Undergraduate prestige will not get you any points. Being from an underrepresented group or having a desire to help URMs will. For goodness sakes guys there is a optional diversity essay.

Well it depends.. how many people are in your family?, how much does your mom/dad make? Does your mom/dad receive child support? Does she receive government assistance?

My case.. my mom was/is on unemployment, my dad does not pay child support and I have a brother and a sister. Our family income sits below middle class....SMDEP considered that disadvantaged.

It is a minority program first and foremost. Undergraduate prestige will not get you any points. Being from an underrepresented group or having a desire to help URMs will. For goodness sakes guys there is a optional diversity essay.

The diversity essay is now required for the program.

Well it depends.. how many people are in your family?, how much does your mom/dad make? Does your mom/dad receive child support? Does she receive government assistance?

My case.. my mom was/is on unemployment, my dad does not pay child support and I have a brother and a sister. Our family income sits below middle class....SMDEP considered that disadvantaged.

Three people in my family. My mom made a decent income, probably considered middle class, between her multiple jobs. My father never paid any child support but we did not receive government assistance. I'm not saying I am disadvantaged. I'm just surprised that being "from a single family household" would make anybody disadvantaged. There has to be more to it than just that otherwise everybody would be crying disadvantaged.

Cut the umbilical cord... I am from Texas but applied to Washington, Columbia and Nebraska... I mean come on -___- there is a travel stipend.

Excuse me? Quite a few of the programs don't disburse the stipend until after the program is half over or completely over. Sorry that I can't afford to dish out money for airfare and living expenses so easily. I chose to apply to locations that were nearby. I didn't get accepted because I'm not URM. Oh well. Life goes on.

Excuse me? Quite a few of the programs don't disburse the stipend until after the program is half over or completely over. Sorry that I can't afford to dish out money for airfare and living expenses so easily. I chose to apply to locations that were nearby. I didn't get accepted because I'm not URM. Oh well. Life goes on.

Does that mean you are not applying this cycle?

I have a question regarding the LOR's
I'll be a freshman before the deadline. It says they want a LOR from pre-health advisor and one letter must be from your major field of study. Where can i get a LOR from my major field of study? I haven't declared a major, and haven't taken a course towards my field of major except one intro course this past summer. Also the advisor i have been communicating with is not a pre-health one.

The only thing that is holding me back are these LOR's, can there be any exceptions or do they have to be exactly from these
people?

I mean my GPA is fine 4.0
I can write a great essay
I'm a URM.
I'm new to all this, also I'm applying a tad late which could possibly affect my chances ;/
Honestly, if I'm applying in January do i still have a shot because on the website it says it's releasing decisions on Feb 15 AND April 1?

Last edited:
I just finished applying to smdep on the 23rd. My letters and transcripts have been received so I'm just waiting now. I have a 3.9 gpa, African American, decent essay so just waiting to see if I get in or not. I applied to duke, Colombia, and UCLA. They're all pretty competitive so I'm not sure what to expect. I wish I had picked a safety school. Do you guys think I have a good chance? Or did I apply too late for such competitive programs?

I just finished applying to smdep on the 23rd. My letters and transcripts have been received so I'm just waiting now. I have a 3.9 gpa, African American, decent essay so just waiting to see if I get in or not. I applied to duke, Colombia, and UCLA. They're all pretty competitive so I'm not sure what to expect. I wish I had picked a safety school. Do you guys think I have a good chance? Or did I apply too late for such competitive programs?

Well with the information you presented it looks like you have a good chance! I must add that they do look at your parent's income and look at the area you live in to see if it is underserved. You are not too late remember that they make decision on a semi-rolling admissions in two batches. Applying early may not be that much of an advantage this go around. Congrats on your grades and keep up the hard work and good luck!

Do you think most SMDEPs provide the same type of experience?

Columbia's information page on the SMDEP website says "The program strives to help students enhance and improve their chances of becoming successful applicants and students at the medical/dental schools of their choice." (http://www.smdep.org/progsites/columbia.htm) So I guess they don't all provide the same type of experience and/or help for Medical school admissions, thus perhaps Nebraska and Louisville locations not very popular (not to mention their location...central US)

Do you think most SMDEPs provide the same type of experience?

Columbia's information page on the SMDEP website says "The program strives to help students enhance and improve their chances of becoming successful applicants and students at the medical/dental schools of their choice." (http://www.smdep.org/progsites/columbia.htm) So I guess they don't all provide the same type of experience and/or help for Medical school admissions, thus perhaps Nebraska and Louisville locations not very popular (not to mention their location...central US)

Each site does specifically state what activities they primarily focus on. I'm pretty sure there's a section on the site where it states which dates the program covers, the stipend and activities. Columbia is definitely one of the finer SMDEP sites from what I have heard.

Anyone applying to the UMDNJ, Columbia and Howard sites?

I submitted my app on 12/7. My LOR's and transcripts were received and my application was completed on 12/28. I have a 3.5 GPA and am Mexican-American. I applied to the Duke, UW, and Nebraska program sites. What do you think are my chances of being accepted at each of these sites?

Great thread FutureMed.

Just random conspiracy thinking here, but do you guys think they consider the other sites you have applied to? Like lets say Duke rejects you because they think you Houston will accept you? Does it work like that?

I have a question regarding the LOR's
I'll be a freshman before the deadline. It says they want a LOR from pre-health advisor and one letter must be from your major field of study. Where can i get a LOR from my major field of study? I haven't declared a major, and haven't taken a course towards my field of major except one intro course this past summer. Also the advisor i have been communicating with is not a pre-health one.

The only thing that is holding me back are these LOR's, can there be any exceptions or do they have to be exactly from these
people?

I mean my GPA is fine 4.0
I can write a great essay
I'm a URM.
I'm new to all this, also I'm applying a tad late which could possibly affect my chances ;/
Honestly, if I'm applying in January do i still have a shot because on the website it says it's releasing decisions on Feb 15 AND April 1?

You should call the sites want to attend and have them clarify that for you. Its scary but be brave.

Great thread FutureMed.

Just random conspiracy thinking here, but do you guys think they consider the other sites you have applied to? Like lets say Duke rejects you because they think you Houston will accept you? Does it work like that?

No, i'm pretty sure that information is not considered as a "part" of your application

I applied to UW, Texas, and Nebraska!!! I finished my app on the 22nd of December and am just waiting for SMDEP to process all of my LORs and transcripts. Hopefully I get into UW. That's my top choice.

I have lived most of my life in another country, but I am a US permanent resident/immigrant now. I haven't taken my SAT or ACT and have attended both CC and State College here. My GPA is a little below 3.8, good LORs, ECs, essays. What are my chances at Yale, Duke, and UVA?

hey guys! good luck on your apps for SMDEP!
I went to the Yale site and it was wonderful.
so if you have any questions, feel free to contact me =D .

Yea. How was it?? How early did you apply? Anything would be helpful.

Like I said, the program was great and i think very helpful and valuable. Personally, I felt a little overwhelmed before with the med school application process and whether I was on the right track or not and SMDEP really helped me get on track and realize that I wasn't doing that bad.

The best thing - apart from the whole med school orientation - I think were the classes. You really don't realize it while you are taking them but they really do help you immensely when you get back to take those classes in your college.
In the Yale site they give you two shadowing opportunities - they stress quite a lot that it isn't a shadowing program and some people even got in trouble for arranging their own extra shadowing times. So I think we were all generally disappointed in that ... but they offer some orientation on how to arrange shadowing opportunities back home.

I really don't know what else to say hehe ... but you can ask me any other specifics if you want.

When I applied, my application was complete late january...

Cool. I'm finishing up my last essay. Were you 1st or 2nd year and are you URM? and Sorry one last thing. What did you write for the diversity essay?

So I guess Ill ask this question on this thread .... in hopes of getting it answered.. lol

I have a question!!! Do you guys know how much grades really weigh into the admission process? i have a 3.68 so i guess 3.7..Im a freshman and its my first semester and I mean I was thinking that if Im going to put Yale as one of my choices then I want to know that I at least have a chance of getting in, however I know that a 3.7 gpa and my SAT scores are really not that competitive. Thus, if grades do weigh a lot I wont even bother with Yale. Plus I am not an URM