SMDEP 2015 THREAD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
3 more minutes....I literally don't think my heart can take this

Members don't see this ad.

My heart is beating so fast!! But yes, no matter what - Praise the Lord!!! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted into Yale!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rejected to Howard and Columbia but you only need one!!!!!

Reactions: 5 users
Got into UVA SMDEP!!!! :))) Duke was full, Denied from Howard

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted at case, waitlisted at UVA, denied from yale but who cares submitted app the day before!

Waitlisted at UVA, Rejected at Columbia, Duke was full. I submitted app late (because I found out about it mid February) and my stats were actually great. Lots of ECs, good recs, and 3.84 GPA. We'll see what happens.

Denied from Houston and UCLA but got into Rutgers. :)

Reactions: 7 users
accepted at columbia
denied at UW
yale is full
Columbia 2015:)

Denied from Columbia and Rutgers; Wait listed for Yale.

Hey guys! Congrats to everyone who got in, it's been a LONG wait!
Waitlisted for UVA
Denied at Howard
ACCEPTED AT RUTGERS!

Stats: African American Female, sophomore, 3.2 GPA

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to all who got in :) I wonder how long is the wait for those who got waitlisted?

My stats:
GPA 3.7
African American
List about 6 or 7 EC's
Personal Comments- Great; Diversity Essay- average

My admissions aren't posted and I'm freaking out... what is my "Application Status" supposed to say? Mine says "submitted" and I thought I was fine but now I'm crazy worried :(

Rejected from Washington, Waitlisted at UVA, ACCEPTED AT HOUSTON!!! :D

Rejected at Columbia, accepted to both Rutgers and Case Western! Confirmed at Case Western so that opens a slot for the people on Rutger's waitlist- good luck and congrats to everyone that got in! Case 2015!

Reactions: 1 users
Rejected at Columbia, accepted to both Rutgers and Case Western! Confirmed at Case Western so that opens a slot for the people on Rutger's waitlist- good luck and congrats to everyone that got in! Case 2015!
Congratulations! And thank you for your thoughtful words of encouragement.
Just out of curiosity, when did Rutgers view your application(action date)?

Oh god, this is excruciating! I really want to call Rutgers tomorrow morning and figure out what went wrong with my application as to why I am waitlisted.

My admissions aren't posted and I'm freaking out... what is my "Application Status" supposed to say? Mine says "submitted" and I thought I was fine but now I'm crazy worried :(
Under application status, you're supposed to click on view details, then you will have your decisions for each site that you applied to :)

Under application status, you're supposed to click on view details, then you will have your decisions for each site that you applied to :)
Yeah, I found the page but next to the 3 sites I applied to, all the columns are completely blank!!!

Not accepted from Houston and UCLA. Wait listed at Howard. If I don't get in, I honestly don't know what to do with my summer. Thinking of doing research, shadow and cry. Any suggestions or any other programs y'all know about? Thank You and Congrats to everyone who got in!!!

congrats to everyone who was accepted into the program this summer, and stay encouraged for those that didn't get accepted. I was accepted by Howard and Nebraska, but Yale was full. So I went with Nebraska, whose all attending Nebraska?:)

To anyone who's done SMDEP at Rutgers, do pre-dental students get as much shadowing opportunities as pre-med students? Rutgers' description on the SMDEP homepage only mentions shadowing various medical fields, nothing about dentistry. Thanks in advance!

I GOT IN!!!!!
Applied Rutger, Howard, and Houston.

Accepted: Rutgers & Howard
Waitlisted @ Houston

Stats:
Community college 54 credits. 3.90 GPA
6 school clubs - President of 2
lots of Extracurriculars
A really good personal statement.

I was nervous everyday since I submitted on Feb. 1st b/c my diversity essay was kind of like a formal research paper, but it all worked out!!!!!
I confirmed Rutgers in a heart beat, mostly b/c I don't think my FAFSA qualifies me to get the travel scholarship and neither me nor my parents want to pay a plane ticket from DC to Houston lol. Ill probably take a bus to Rutgers or Ill drive 5hrs idk, I'l call and ask about campus parking fees when they open later this morning.

I didn't pick Howard because its like 35 minutes away from home so I know the area pretty well lol

If anyone has done Rutgers, can you explain how it is? I know every site is different

Congratulations! And thank you for your thoughtful words of encouragement.
Just out of curiosity, when did Rutgers view your application(action date)?

Rutgers viewed my application on 2/28/15 it states.

Accepted at case, waitlisted at UVA, denied from yale but who cares submitted app the day before!

Case 2015 :clap: it's going to be so much fun, I can't wait!
Congrats to both of you!

Last edited:
Accepted into Yale!!
Waitlisted at Rutgers, and not accepted at Columbia.
Good Luck to everyone!

STATS

Accepted: UCLA
Rejected: Yale/Columbia
Hispanic Female
Sophomore attending community college
GPA:4.0
Economically disadvantaged
Listed 10 EC's
One LOR from math professor
Second LOR from director of a premed program I'm involved in at UCLA
Thought my essays were great
App submitted: 11/01
Completed: 12/15

Just curious, what was your first choice? I'm having an extremely difficult time choosing between UCLA and Columbia.

Didn't get a chance to post my stats, but here they are. Rutgers 2015
Sophomore
Pakistani, economically and ethnically disadvantaged.
GPA: 3.5
Double Major in INTS/Polysci but am Pre-med
5 Quality E.C.s- Leadership in a peace program for teenagers who live in Israel/Palestine (3 years), On the board for National Society of Collegiate Scholars, Tutored underprivileged primary school kids in South side of Chicago, 2 other leadership programs.
I think my personal statement was well written, not so much my diversity one.

Accepted into UCLA and Howard. Waitlisted Columbia. Didn't wait to see if I would get Columbia as well because UCLA was my first choice!

Waitlisted for Rutgers and Columbia, not accepted for Yale. Fingers crossed

How are the daily activites at Rutgers?
Also who else is going to Rutgers?!?

Waitlisted for Rutgers and Columbia, not accepted for Yale. Fingers crossed

How long before you figure out if your waitlist is an acceptance. You only get two day to confirm acceptances right ?

"If you are “Wait Listed”, you will be offered an acceptance if the site has an opening. The earliest possible date to receive an offer from a site where you were wait listed is Friday, April 3 AFTER 5:00 P.M. EST. In some cases, it may occur earlier depending on how quickly applicants have made decisions on acceptances. Please check back at http://smdep.org/apply-to-smdep to monitor your decision status."

How long before you figure out if your waitlist is an acceptance. You only get two day to confirm acceptances right ?
"If you are “Wait Listed”, you will be offered an acceptance if the site has an opening. The earliest possible date to receive an offer from a site where you were wait listed is Friday, April 3 AFTER 5:00 P.M. EST. In some cases, it may occur earlier depending on how quickly applicants have made decisions on acceptances. Please check back at http://smdep.org/apply-to-smdep to monitor your decision status."

Wow! thanks for the information. Just so you guys now, I called Rutgers and they told me it can take weeks to get off the waitlist :( so for now I'll just wait to see if I get off the waitlist for Rutgers and Duke.

Wow! thanks for the information. Just so you guys now, I called Rutgers and they told me it can take weeks to get off the waitlist :( so for now I'll just wait to see if I get off the waitlist for Rutgers and Duke.
Hopefully we both end up getting accepted!

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if we are accepted and confirmed a site, what do we do now? Is there any additional application or information we need to hand in?

Just in case!

Thank you.

^For me the day after I confirmed my site sent me an email with stuff to do.

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if we are accepted and confirmed a site, what do we do now? Is there any additional application or information we need to hand in?

Just in case!

Thank you.
After I confirmed the site they sent an email one or two weeks later

Commenting for posterity! I was rejected from Columbia, waitlisted at University of Washington and accepted at Duke. My stats are as follows: female, URM, 2.6 GPA, some very weighty accomplishments/electives, good personal statement, crap diversity essay. I think that's all that's relevant. Woo! Going to Duke!