SMDEP 2015 THREAD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Commenting for posterity! I was rejected from Columbia, waitlisted at University of Washington and accepted at Duke. My stats are as follows: female, URM, 2.6 GPA, some very weighty accomplishments/electives, good personal statement, crap diversity essay. I think that's all that's relevant. Woo! Going to Duke!
Congratulations on your acceptance to Duke! Were you automatically accepted to Duke? Or, were you placed on a waitlist and found out you were accepted to Duke? Because I am currently waitlisted for Duke and still haven't received an update on my status......does anyone know when I will hear on my waitlist status?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations on your acceptance to Duke! Were you automatically accepted to Duke? Or, were you placed on a waitlist and found out you were accepted to Duke? Because I am currently waitlisted for Duke and still haven't received an update on my status......does anyone know when I will hear on my waitlist status?
Thanks! And good luck to you! I wish I had a better explanation to offer. Originally, I was waitlisted at UW and Duke's status was "site full." If I was on a waitlist for Duke, I received no notification of it. However, I eventually received a phone call from Duke asking if I would confirm their acceptance, and my waitlist status for UW had been changed to not accepted. I have no idea how that all worked out.

Thanks! And good luck to you! I wish I had a better explanation to offer. Originally, I was waitlisted at UW and Duke's status was "site full." If I was on a waitlist for Duke, I received no notification of it. However, I eventually received a phone call from Duke asking if I would confirm their acceptance, and my waitlist status for UW had been changed to not accepted. I have no idea how that all worked out.
Omg congratulations, I am literally in the same situation! They put me on the waitlist but I am still waiting for an answer. When did they call you?

Members don't see this ad :)
Omg congratulations, I am literally in the same situation! They put me on the waitlist but I am still waiting for an answer. When did they call you?
when was your waitlist for Duke status updated? Mine has been updated on 3/31/2015 at 11:15AM and it has not changed....do you think I am not going get off the waitlist because its past April 3rd 5:00 (which apparently is the standard time)

Reactions: 1 user
Duke called me around noon on April 1st, if I recall correctly.

Site Full at Yale, Rejected at Columbia, Waitlisted at Rutgers

This is so nerve wracking. Like applying to college all over again :/
Should we send updated information to them to increase our chances or something? How do they decide the who gets taken off the waitlist?

Commenting for posterity! I was rejected from Columbia, waitlisted at University of Washington and accepted at Duke. My stats are as follows: female, URM, 2.6 GPA, some very weighty accomplishments/electives, good personal statement, crap diversity essay. I think that's all that's relevant. Woo! Going to Duke!

Congrats! Make sure you join the Facebook group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/891335197598864/

when was your waitlist for Duke status updated? Mine has been updated on 3/31/2015 at 11:15AM and it has not changed....do you think I am not going get off the waitlist because its past April 3rd 5:00 (which apparently is the standard time)
I got on the waitlist the same time as well. I am still waiting to be accepted or denied on the waitlist. So we are on the same boat. Honestly, I do not know. I think their offices were closed on April 3rd. Hopefully we will be notified by Monday.

Site Full at Yale, Rejected at Columbia, Waitlisted at Rutgers

This is so nerve wracking. Like applying to college all over again :/
Should we send updated information to them to increase our chances or something? How do they decide the who gets taken off the waitlist?
I called the Rutgers office and I asked them how long is it until we are further notified of we have been accepted, and they said that it can take weeks :( I think you should just wait patiently.

I called the Rutgers office and I asked them how long is it until we are further notified of we have been accepted, and they said that it can take weeks :( I think you should just wait patiently.

Greattttt... it was so hard finding programs for freshmen, I only found one other that allowed freshmen to apply, but it required actual research experience, so I'm most likely not getting in. Rutgers is my last chance to get experience this summer QQ. I'm really OCD so I'll be checking about every hour of every day xD

Greattttt... it was so hard finding programs for freshmen, I only found one other that allowed freshmen to apply, but it required actual research experience, so I'm most likely not getting in. Rutgers is my last chance to get experience this summer QQ. I'm really OCD so I'll be checking about every hour of every day xD
I can't speak for your college, but usually there are university research labs willing to take in totally inexperienced undergrads, especially during the summer. You might have to volunteer your time with them (not getting paid for your work). I actually visited the biology department faculty listing on my university's website, read their research synopses, and picked a person whose research was interesting, to speak with. I found her office number, showed up, and asked her if she's looking for any undergrad assistants. I start in her lab this summer. It can be that simple getting the experiences you need; you just have to take the initiative. Furthermore, you can find advisors in various departments to talk to about who is doing research you might be interested in or who is currently or often taking in undergrads. For instance, even though I am going into neurobiology, I did not know that our university even had the Center for Functional and Structural Neuroscience; an advisor in the Forestry department directed me there! Good luck with SMDEP and/or other endeavors this summer!

Edit: And if you fail to get any holds in research this summer, maybe you can find a volunteer or shadowing opportunity! That was my fall-back plan if I didn't get accepted into SMDEP.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't speak for your college, but usually there are university research labs willing to take in totally inexperienced undergrads, especially during the summer. You might have to volunteer your time with them (not getting paid for your work). I actually visited the biology department faculty listing on my university's website, read their research synopses, and picked a person whose research was interesting, to speak with. I found her office number, showed up, and asked her if she's looking for any undergrad assistants. I start in her lab this summer. It can be that simple getting the experiences you need; you just have to take the initiative. Furthermore, you can find advisors in various departments to talk to about who is doing research you might be interested in or who is currently or often taking in undergrads. For instance, even though I am going into neurobiology, I did not know that our university even had the Center for Functional and Structural Neuroscience; an advisor in the Forestry department directed me there! Good luck with SMDEP and/or other endeavors this summer!

Edit: And if you fail to get any holds in research this summer, maybe you can find a volunteer or shadowing opportunity! That was my fall-back plan if I didn't get accepted into SMDEP.

Thanks, I'm actually already volunteering at one of the Columbia/Cornell affiliated hospitals in NYC, but during the summer I wanted more of a learning experience rather than just filing and cleaning slides xD. I'll try to find someone who I can shadow :)

You sound a lot like me now lol at least you are a freshman, so that gives you next year to apply if anything. Just be sure to apply earlier

Last edited:
I will be going to UCLA! (I confirmed on Friday and decided I should probably make an account on here to see who else will be going to UCLA!) Feel free to add me on fb! https://www.facebook.com/jose.guerrero.1426
I'll be happy to get to know my fellow peers! :)
Congrats everyone on their acceptances.

So does "Site Full" mean that you would have been accepted, but you just applied late and there are no more spots left?

I applied to Rutgers Columbia and Yale, I got waitlisted for Rutgers and Columbia and rejected for Yale.

But this morning my status for Columbia changed to accepted so that is where I will be going!!!
Goodluck to the people on wait list

Are there any facebook pages for Rutgers 2015?

Did your status change yet?
No it did not... I was waitlisted for UCLA... and the status changed for that so I decided to go with UCLA. Best of luck to you though!

Well my wait list status for Duke still didn't change so I called them and they said to wait till Wednesday but since I didn't get a phone yet...things apparently are not looking good:/ However, she did say that people can be on wait list till the end of May!

I'm on the same boat as y'all. Wait listed for Howard university & that's my only option since the other universities did not accept me & one was full. The waiting is killing me for I don't know what to do with my summer besides research, that is if I don't get accepted.

I got off the waitlist for duke university!!!!! There's still hope!

Reactions: 2 users

Can you tell me which number you called? I found one contact number and it seems like it's disconnected

Do we have to be at smdep all day, every weekend for Columbia? Does anyone know?
Is there seriously things going on for all of the S,M,T,W,TH,F,SA for 6 weeks?

Do we have to be at smdep all day, every weekend for Columbia? Does anyone know?
Is there seriously things going on for all of the S,M,T,W,TH,F,SA for 6 weeks?
Nope, my friend who attended last year says that well at his site, Louisville, I don't know how it is policy wise for the others, the students were free to sign out and venture home on the weekends, even tag along with friends who lived in nearby states at their own consent just as long as they told someone they would be taking off.
I have barely stumbled upon this forum, I got accepted at Case Western & Louisville, decided on the latter. Haven't heard or seen any one really from my site... I know of 1 other from my school going as well. I had okay stats, I applied with a 3.56, Hispanic, economically disadvantaged, good extracurricular activities (used some high school stuff since I am a first year kid), and worked hard on my essays. I missed the early deadline cuz my transcripts took ages to reach D.C. from Texas. Best wishes to those applying next year.

Hello,
I recently got off the waitlist at Howard.
I applied to UCLA and Houston and was denied at both.
GPA = 3.85
Not much extracurricular expect my job and a nonprofit that I am a board member in.
My essays were about my reason for wanting to become a dentist and how where I was born (Cameroon) they weren't any dentists and I was inspired by dentists that fixed my chipped tooth once I came to the U.S.A
Anyways I cant wait till Howard SMDEP :)))))

Any reply for the ones that are wait listed for Yale SMDEP?

Hello,
I recently got off the waitlist at Howard.
I applied to UCLA and Houston and was denied at both.
GPA = 3.85
Not much extracurricular expect my job and a nonprofit that I am a board member in.
My essays were about my reason for wanting to become a dentist and how where I was born (Cameroon) they weren't any dentists and I was inspired by dentists that fixed my chipped tooth once I came to the U.S.A
Anyways I cant wait till Howard SMDEP :)))))
Congrats...join the Facebook group :biglove:https://www.facebook.com/groups/423181637840578/?ref=ts&fref=ts

So I didn't get into any of the ones I applied for, but Case apparently wants to review my application. What does this mean? Did they not have enough people apply? Did anyone else get that email?

I got rejected from Houston & UCLA. I was waitlisted at Howard. I called them saying I'm still interested but they told me to wait. Now I went on the site & it says not accepted. I'm so upset, can anyone please help me to what I should do in the summer? I am so lost, I feel like a failure. My GPA was a 3.2, I am Pakistani American & great LOR/essays. What went wrong :(

I got rejected from Houston & UCLA. I was waitlisted at Howard. I called them saying I'm still interested but they told me to wait. Now I went on the site & it says not accepted. I'm so upset, can anyone please help me to what I should do in the summer? I am so lost, I feel like a failure. My GPA was a 3.2, I am Pakistani American & great LOR/essays. What went wrong :(
I'm currently waiting on a change in my waitlisted status also. If you don't mind me asking, when did you call and when did you get your waitlisted status changed?
I hope you find something great to do this summer!

Last edited:
Aww man, I'm sorry about that :( Look into research/internships/shadowing opportunities if possible.

Does anyone know if we can have visitors at our dorms? Specifically Rutgers

Does anyone know if we can have visitors at our dorms? Specifically Rutgers

I know that for Columbia you are allowed to have visitors, they just have to sign in I'm pretty sure

I know that for Columbia you are allowed to have visitors, they just have to sign in I'm pretty sure
I guess it differs by university then cause I know UCLA doesn't allow anyone into dorms, but since rutgers is close to NYC I wanted some friends to visit for a weekend or so haha.

I guess it differs by university then cause I know UCLA doesn't allow anyone into dorms, but since rutgers is close to NYC I wanted some friends to visit for a weekend or so haha.
Try looking it up online! The only reason I know about mine is because Columbia sent me stuff like last week.

Try looking it up online! The only reason I know about mine is because Columbia sent me stuff like last week.
Not addressed on their website :( But I'll just have to wait for my info email! Thanks and good luck! :)

We're going to have roommates right? :thinking: I'm a little nervous I'm sure we can't pick our own. :cryi:

Does it say "Site Full" for those who got wait listed for Yale?

We're going to have roommates right? :thinking: I'm a little nervous I'm sure we can't pick our own. :cryi:
I feel the exact same way. Idk if I can manage sharing a small room with someone for more than a month. Especially after having my own room in an apartment for so long