SMDEP 2015 THREAD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I feel the exact same way. Idk if I can manage sharing a small room with someone for more than a month. Especially after having my own room in an apartment for so long
I hope my roommate likes Drake and Gambino haha.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Didn't get a chance to post my stats, but here they are. Rutgers 2015
Sophomore
Pakistani, economically and ethnically disadvantaged.
GPA: 3.5
Double Major in INTS/Polysci but am Pre-med
5 Quality E.C.s- Leadership in a peace program for teenagers who live in Israel/Palestine (3 years), On the board for National Society of Collegiate Scholars, Tutored underprivileged primary school kids in South side of Chicago, 2 other leadership programs.
I think my personal statement was well written, not so much my diversity one.

Join the facebook group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1382785302049126/

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I GOT IN!!!!!
Applied Rutger, Howard, and Houston.

Accepted: Rutgers & Howard
Waitlisted @ Houston

Stats:
Community college 54 credits. 3.90 GPA
6 school clubs - President of 2
lots of Extracurriculars
A really good personal statement.

I was nervous everyday since I submitted on Feb. 1st b/c my diversity essay was kind of like a formal research paper, but it all worked out!!!!!
I confirmed Rutgers in a heart beat, mostly b/c I don't think my FAFSA qualifies me to get the travel scholarship and neither me nor my parents want to pay a plane ticket from DC to Houston lol. Ill probably take a bus to Rutgers or Ill drive 5hrs idk, I'l call and ask about campus parking fees when they open later this morning.

I didn't pick Howard because its like 35 minutes away from home so I know the area pretty well lol

If anyone has done Rutgers, can you explain how it is? I know every site is different

Come join the Facebook group !
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1382785302049126/

This is super late, but here it goes
Yale-Site Full
Rutgers-Accepted
Columbia-Wait listed, didn't wait to see the decision

Reactions: 2 users
I feel the exact same way. Idk if I can manage sharing a small room with someone for more than a month. Especially after having my own room in an apartment for so long

Lol right!! I live at home and commute to school. I've always had my own room and bathroom!
But I was so excited reading the survival guide! It's offical

We're going to have roommates right? :thinking: I'm a little nervous I'm sure we can't pick our own. :cryi:
When I filled out my paperwork for UVA it had the option of requesting someone to be your roommate. But of course I think the request has to be mutual in order to be roommates.

Has anyone participated in the Duke SMDEP program in the past? How was it? Can someone give me a little overview of their experience....like what was a typical day like?

Last edited:
Less than a month for Howard smdep:soexcited:

Hey y'all!!
SMDEP Columbia starts in a month!! :)

For those that are going to any program this summer, what do you guys plan on bringing? I don't want to under or over pack lol

SMDEP Houston starts tomorrow....honestly not looking forward to it AT ALL...I know it will be a good experience though, which is the only reason I'm forcing myself to do this...ugh.

Hey y'all!!
SMDEP Columbia starts in a month!! :)

For those that are going to any program this summer, what do you guys plan on bringing? I don't want to under or over pack lol

I just brought some bedding, professional clothes, causal clothes, and such. Prety much very basic dorm supplies.

I have a quick general question about program admittance. Any help is appreciated!

I didn't hear about this program until this summer so I will only be able to apply for it next summer. However, I completed over 30 hours of community college credit while I was in high school. So, at the end of my first year in college, I have completed 71 college credits. Will I still be able to apply for SMDEP this upcoming summer? Thanks!
You can actually start to apply in November for SMDEP 2016!! and there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to!!

SMDEP Houston starts tomorrow....honestly not looking forward to it AT ALL...I know it will be a good experience though, which is the only reason I'm forcing myself to do this...ugh.

I just brought some bedding, professional clothes, causal clothes, and such. Prety much very basic dorm supplies.

what did you bring for professional clothes and casual clothes?
Also, I don't know if i could/should bring my TV and fridge with me

I am an alumnus of this SMDEP Houston program, and am starting medical school in the fall. I would highly encourage you to keep an open mind (A lot of people wanted your spot in this program), it can change your entire perspective and introduce you to some of your best friends. That's super cheesy, but I was also feeling apprehensive right before I started. Good luck with everything!

For anyone that has participated in the program before, what are my chances of being accepted into the sites if I do not come from a financially disadvantaged background? I have lived in a rural area where a majority of my school was low-income but my family has always been pretty well off. If I mention this on my application can it be used to my advantage or will they deny?

For anyone that has participated in the program before, what are my chances of being accepted into the sites if I do not come from a financially disadvantaged background? I have lived in a rural area where a majority of my school was low-income but my family has always been pretty well off. If I mention this on my application can it be used to my advantage or will they deny?

I am from a rural area, middle-class family and I was accepted in 2013 by just stressing my rural upbringing and desire to practice in a rural setting. I am a white male also, so no URM status.

They look at other factors besides disadvantaged backgrounds as well. I would apply and hope for the best. It's an amazing program.

If you don't mind me asking, which program sites did you apply to and which ones were you accepted to? And did you have a really good GPA/a lot of extracurriculars?

It does sound like a great program and amazing experience.

If you don't mind me asking, which program sites did you apply to and which ones were you accepted to? And did you have a really good GPA/a lot of extracurriculars?

It does sound like a great program and amazing experience.

I applied to Nebraska and two others which I don't remember (maybe Columbia and UCLA?). I was accepted to Nebraska only. (I am a Nebraska resident)

At the time of applying, I had a 3.53 GPA with zero extracurriculars. This is where the thinking is a bit backwards. From what UNMC told us, they like to accept people who show good potential, but may not have hid their stride yet. This was me in a nutshell.

I had a friend this past year who applied with a 4.0 GPA, over 400 hours of clinical experience (as a sophomore), and other great EC's, and he was rejected to all sites. A fellow SMDEPer during 2013 also told me his friend with a 4.0 and great EC's wasn't accepted and was quite salty about it.

What I'm trying to say is this: SMDEP acceptance doesn't hinge upon a great GPA and stellar EC's. They want to see if you demonstrate potential as well as a desire to pursue healthcare.

The curriculum and program itself are amazing, yes, but even more so are the people you meet. I still keep in touch with the people I met that summer, and I'll be attending medical school with a few of them next August!

Reactions: 1 users
So for the letters of recommendation, are we allowed to submit one from a volunteer leader? Or does it have to be two from professors/pre-health advisor?

Might as well try this year. Just do both. Ask for a letter now, but still make an effort to get to know them for later on when you need letters again.