SMDEP 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imvn1zpr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!!!

The applications for the SMDEP 2016 program are opening soon! (Nov 1st). Where are you guys applying to this year? Any tips??

Members don't see this ad.

For anyone that has participated in the program before, what are my chances of being accepted into the sites if I do not come from a financially disadvantaged background? I have lived in a rural area where a majority of my school was low-income but my family has always been pretty well off. If I mention this on my application can it be used to my advantage or will they deny?

Hey guys, I did the SMDEP at Houston in 2014, and I'm an Ambassador for the program!

Make sure that you guys talk about how you either a) come from an underserved/disadvantaged area, or b) want to serve disparate areas. SMDEP is great if you have a strong interest or background in public health! Feel free to message me if y'all have any questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did SMDEP and did not come from a underserved/disadvantaged area. My best advice would be to do research on the site you want to go to and learn about their mission. From there you can 1. better fit a SMDEP site and 2. Get a better understanding about your audience. They're all unique!

Hey guys, I did the SMDEP at Houston in 2014, and I'm an Ambassador for the program!

Make sure that you guys talk about how you either a) come from an underserved/disadvantaged area, or b) want to serve disparate areas. SMDEP is great if you have a strong interest or background in public health! Feel free to message me if y'all have any questions.

When you say talk about a) come from an underserved/disadvantaged area, or b) want to serve disparate areas, do you mean in your diversity essay or in personal statement?

What are my chances of getting in? I have a 3.2 GPA, i come from a under represented background BUT I dont really dont have that much experience in terms of shadowing or anything like that.

When you say talk about a) come from an underserved/disadvantaged area, or b) want to serve disparate areas, do you mean in your diversity essay or in personal statement?
I talked about being from an underserved area and my cultural background in my diversity essay, and discussed why I want to serve populations like those found in my home state in my personal statement. I wrote in depth about my shadowing experience at Mission of Mercy, so I don't know what to tell you about the fact that you don't have much shadowing experience. I personally think being a minority student and writing compelling essays will get you in to at least one site.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks everyone for the responses.

What do you guys think about the chances of being accepted into one of the programs?

3.35 GPA
Puerto Rican
By the time I apply I will have around 40 hrs of community service. I don't have any shadowing hours though.
After high school I worked for 5 years in sales and customer services.

I'm thinking to apply to Colombia, Ucla and Rutgers ( I won't apply to Yale because they told me not to do it because they don't have dental program. )

any suggestion?

Hello!

I participated in SMDEP Houston in the Summer of 2012 after my Freshman year of college! I FRICKEN LOVED IT!!! Most amazing experience ever:) I applied to Columbia, Washington, and Houston and got accepted to all three. I suggest applying to a wide variety of locations in order to optimize your chances of acceptance. You should definitely look at what the program includes before applying because they really all vary in terms of the experiences they offer their students. Highly recommend Houston.

I am not of a minority background. I think what got me in was I wrote about my experience with undeserved populations. I think good essays are the KEY TO ACCEPTANCE.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys!

I am super duper excited about this year's application process! I am 99% positive that I will be applying to Washington (first choice), Duke, and Case Western. So many great places to chose from!

I am African American (first generation)
Sophomore (57 credit hours)
3.54 GPA
Over 60 hours of community service/volunteering
I have not done any shadowing yet.

I am also getting a minor in public health and would like to focus on underserved communities in the states and abroad. I am currently volunteering at a free clinic in an undeserved population near my university. It is a clinic run by medical/pharmacy students and they have a different physician that comes in every week to help out. It's become a very motivating experience, and it really makes one appreciate things more.
I grew up in an underserved community in Alabama, and this is the perfect opportunity to get more exposure to other communities that are similar.

Are you guys applying the first cycle?

Hey guys,
I did SMDEP last year and I am now an ambassador.
The most important thing I can tell you is that YOUR GPA DOESN'T MATTER...AT ALL ACTUALLY.
If it did, they will not allow people with low GPAs to apply so don't worry at all and you can have a 4.0 GPA and still not be accepted so DON'T WORRY so much about your gpa. I will tell you to FOCUS ON YOUR PERSONAL STATEMENT AND COMPLETING THE APPLICATION EARLY.
Message me with any questions and I'll be happy to help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also did SMDEP this past summer and had an amazing experience!
Advice on application: Definitely apply really early, its the difference between getting accepted to all 3 sites and not getting in. It doesn't matter how stellar of an applicant you are or how well you fit the programs mission apply early!
  • Letters of recommendation don't really matter much it seems. They seem to put a HUGE emphasis on your story and why you want to enter the field. Make sure your application seriously answers WHY.
  • Make use of your friends/tutoring service and get the essay polished.
  • I can't really comment on how they look at EC's because on the app it asks you to list some, but i'd assume they would expect a little more from a sophomore vs. freshman, but idk
  • If you really want to get into a specific site and its your top choice, don't be afraid to place a call. Show you care and really want to get in. Ask good questions if you call.
  • If you're a sophomore, I would suggest applying to SMDEP and other summer programs as well. At my site specifically they put us into different classes based on which classes you would take the next semester. For some sophomores this might be a disadvantage, especially if you've taken all your pre-reqs.
  • At my site we had a lot of minorities, but if you're not minority don't think you won't get in. Just make sure you have a really good PS and your diversity essay and show how passionate you are.
  • Finally SMDEP is supposed to be really fun, but its also a really good time to start making connections. Don't be afraid to put yourself out there, ask questions, and find mentors. At my site we had some medical school students that seriously believed the reason why they got into that medical school specifically was because of the connections they made while participating at SMDEP. Make your time there count. Good luck!
I got some help last year when I was applying and l'd be happy to help.

Reactions: 1 users
Also did SMDEP this past summer and had an amazing experience!
Advice on application: Definitely apply really early, its the difference between getting accepted to all 3 sites and not getting in. It doesn't matter how stellar of an applicant you are or how well you fit the programs mission apply early!
  • Letters of recommendation don't really matter much it seems. They seem to put a HUGE emphasis on your story and why you want to enter the field. Make sure your application seriously answers WHY.
  • Make use of your friends/tutoring service and get the essay polished.
  • I can't really comment on how they look at EC's because on the app it asks you to list some, but i'd assume they would expect a little more from a sophomore vs. freshman, but idk
  • If you really want to get into a specific site and its your top choice, don't be afraid to place a call. Show you care and really want to get in. Ask good questions if you call.
  • If you're a sophomore, I would suggest applying to SMDEP and other summer programs as well. At my site specifically they put us into different classes based on which classes you would take the next semester. For some sophomores this might be a disadvantage, especially if you've taken all your pre-reqs.
  • At my site we had a lot of minorities, but if you're not minority don't think you won't get in. Just make sure you have a really good PS and your diversity essay and show how passionate you are.
  • Finally SMDEP is supposed to be really fun, but its also a really good time to start making connections. Don't be afraid to put yourself out there, ask questions, and find mentors. At my site we had some medical school students that seriously believed the reason why they got into that medical school specifically was because of the connections they made while participating at SMDEP. Make your time there count. Good luck!
I got some help last year when I was applying and l'd be happy to help.

Which ones did you apply to and did you get into all of them?

I just have a question, do I need to have my recommendation letter and essays at the time of applying or can I apply tomorrow and send them by the time I have them?

I just have a question, do I need to have my recommendation letter and essays at the time of applying or can I apply tomorrow and send them by the time I have them?
If I am not mistaken, and someone correct me if I am wrong, you would need to have the essays done to complete the application portion. The recommendation letters and transcripts can be sent in at anytime before the deadline, but it would be best to get that taken care of at the earliest. It takes about 10 business days for everything to be processed.

If I am not mistaken, and someone correct me if I am wrong, you would need to have the essays done to complete the application portion. The recommendation letters and transcripts can be sent in at anytime before the deadline, but it would be best to get that taken care of at the earliest. It takes about 10 business days for everything to be processed.

Thank you so much!!!

I'm pretty sure i'm not going to get in because freshman year I completely screwed up because of things going on at home and lack of focus. I got disqualified and now I'm at a CC and my stats are horrible. However I'm getting back on the right track. I decided to apply because I have nothing to lose. I'm thinking Howard, UVA, Lousiville(or Duke). With a two something GPA and volunteer experience experience at a local charter school. should I even bother applying?

[African American , Female, Disadvantaged Background, 2nd in family to go to college(older sister is first but she isn't enrolled right now)]

Is the application open yet? I don't think I can log on

I'm pretty sure i'm not going to get in because freshman year I completely screwed up because of things going on at home and lack of focus. I got disqualified and now I'm at a CC and my stats are horrible. However I'm getting back on the right track. I decided to apply because I have nothing to lose. I'm thinking Howard, UVA, Lousiville(or Duke). With a two something GPA and volunteer experience experience at a local charter school. should I even bother applying?

[African American , Female, Disadvantaged Background, 2nd in family to go to college(older sister is first but she isn't enrolled right now)]

I would still apply! Explain your story, and like you said, you have nothing to lose by not applying. Focus on what you've learned from your mistakes and keep looking towards the future. When I applied, I found the application process to be an experience in itself and I had a reason to flesh out more of the reasons why I wanted to practice dentistry, etc. It also gave me time to reflect on my growth as a person!

I would still apply! Explain your story, and like you said, you have nothing to lose by not applying. Focus on what you've learned from your mistakes and keep looking towards the future. When I applied, I found the application process to be an experience in itself and I had a reason to flesh out more of the reasons why I wanted to practice dentistry, etc. It also gave me time to reflect on my growth as a person!
I agree! Apply!

so if we applied last year, do we have to make a new account or can we just use the old account?

Is the UNC MED program specifically for med students or can dental also apply?

Hello guys, can someone offer me some insight please. I am dying to participate in the experience this year, what do you think my chances are of being accepted and any advise on essays?

-Freshman year: Completed 35 credits at a California Community College with a 4.0 GPA
-Currently a sophomore at ASU, in the pre-dental club & V.P. for the Global Dental Brigades going to Honduras in the summer for public health - as well as other extra curricular activities and volunteering experiences. I don't think I am considered an under represented minority. Applying to UW, UCLA.

I plan on submitting my app sometime within November. Any words of advise? Thanks!

Also is anyone else having these same issues with filling out the dates section. Whenever I save dates but go back to view them later they show up as "NaN/0NaN" I have contacted support a few times but they haven't located the issue yet.

I have both of my essays written but I want to make sure they're perfect before I submit them. I also have yet to figure out who to get my LORs from--yikes.

I have heard that they choose people that haven't really hit their stride in the medical/dental areas yet...so people that would benefit from the program the most.

I would say just write amazing essays because URM status isn't the only the factor they consider.

@NTdawg1: I'm applying to those sites, too. What's your third?

Hello guys, can someone offer me some insight please. I am dying to participate in the experience this year, what do you think my chances are of being accepted and any advise on essays?

-Freshman year: Completed 35 credits at a California Community College with a 4.0 GPA
-Currently a sophomore at ASU, in the pre-dental club & V.P. for the Global Dental Brigades going to Honduras in the summer for public health - as well as other extra curricular activities and volunteering experiences. I don't think I am considered an under represented minority. Applying to UW, UCLA.

I plan on submitting my app sometime within November. Any words of advise? Thanks!

Also is anyone else having these same issues with filling out the dates section. Whenever I save dates but go back to view them later they show up as "NaN/0NaN" I have contacted support a few times but they haven't located the issue yet.
I experienced that too, but it was only when I needed to go back and edit that particular experience. The dates I selected would go away and "NaN/0NaN" would show. It made me re-enter the dates every time.

Hey guys,
I did SMDEP last year and I am now an ambassador.
The most important thing I can tell you is that YOUR GPA DOESN'T MATTER...AT ALL ACTUALLY.
If it did, they will not allow people with low GPAs to apply so don't worry at all and you can have a 4.0 GPA and still not be accepted so DON'T WORRY so much about your gpa. I will tell you to FOCUS ON YOUR PERSONAL STATEMENT AND COMPLETING THE APPLICATION EARLY.
Message me with any questions and I'll be happy to help.

I just submitted my application, I am sending out my transcripts on Monday 11/16, and both of my advisors are sending their letters next week. Do you think that is early enough?

I'm ready to send my app... I just cant decide between UT and UW. Which one you guys recommend? OOS for both of them.

Hi all!
I am a pre-med student who is also looking to get into SMDEP. I went to a sort of preliminary program last summer at the University of Louisvill and im looking forward to a similar experience! Supposedly this program is a huge boost to your medical school aplications, especially if they support rural medicine.

I plan on submitting my APP in Early December. Is that early enough? I would appreciate a former program participant giving me some advice on when and how they did things. Im also open to cite recommendations. I obviously will put UofL as my top choice, but how are things at U of Washington? Duke?

Good Luck to Everybody!

Hello,

I'm kind of in a pickle here. I just heard about SMDEP a few days ago and it seems like an amazing opportunity. I'm a sophomore so I HAVE to apply this year. I am 28, URM (Latino) with 3.1 GPA. The kicker is: I don't really have a "relationship" with my advisor or my current professors (Physics 2 and Calculus). I had a few laughs with my PHY professor but the class is over except for a couple more tests that I have to take online in the next couple of weeks. Now I have no idea what to do for my LoR. As I see it, I have two choices:

Ask my professors that barely know me for a letter and send my application in early-mid December.

OR

Wait until next year and make an effort to get to know my professors and my advisor but apply mid February.

I guess it comes down to which is more important, the LoRs or applying early. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you!
The earlier the better. I applied last year, one site was full, denied the other, waitlisted then denied to the third. applying late is the worst thing you can do.

I'm a sophomore URM African American 1st generation female
submitted my application a few days ago.
I'm VP of my college (2 years), I have 222 volunteer hours at a hospital (started freshman year), I'm the founder and president of a medical brigade at my college.
Spent a few days on my essays. I don't know though.
I applied to Columbia, Yale, Howard. I only applied to one other URM program, so I hope I get accepted to at least one since it's my last chance for both xD

if you're not a URM, and you have a 4.0 GPA I think you'd be competitive for regular medical internships. you should apply to more, because your chances are good. I heard the UCLA site favors applicants who are applying from community college. For the essays be honest. I literally wrote why I was applying and what factors motivated me to want to be a doctor

Sorry for so many posts, but for the transcript does it HAVE to include Fall 2015 grades? Or can I send it out now?

Just started the app recently, and it seems my chances are slim if early review is the main priority... :D
Also, my professor told me that she will send a letter of recommendation no later than three weeks, and it is currently day 5 out of 21. :( Maybe I'd be lucky if she can get it in before Christmas.
Does anyone know how we can check if SMDEP have received our documents? ie transcipts, LOR's. It'd be nice to know to lower my anxiety amidst the finals season.

Just started the app recently, and it seems my chances are slim if early review is the main priority... :D
Also, my professor told me that she will send a letter of recommendation no later than three weeks, and it is currently day 5 out of 21. :( Maybe I'd be lucky if she can get it in before Christmas.
Does anyone know how we can check if SMDEP have received our documents? ie transcipts, LOR's. It'd be nice to know to lower my anxiety amidst the finals season.
Calm down. This is still early. And you can check on the application, it has a section where it shows if they received your transcripts and letters of rec. You're not understanding that there I still a whole 'nother cycle of applying lol

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the responses.

What do you guys think about the chances of being accepted into one of the programs?

3.35 GPA
Puerto Rican
By the time I apply I will have around 40 hrs of community service. I don't have any shadowing hours though.
After high school I worked for 5 years in sales and customer services.

I'm thinking to apply to Colombia, Ucla and Rutgers ( I won't apply to Yale because they told me not to do it because they don't have dental program. )

any suggestion?
shoot, we're supposed to write our hours? I just wrote start and end dates

You are fine! Lol! In fact, I called last week and was told that on December the 15th it will then show what they have recieved. It takes a while for the materials sent in to be matched with your application.

Hi Guys,
I completed SMDEP this past summer at the Yale School of Medicine.
Let me know if you need any help, I was in your shoes last year and I know you all must have a lot of questions lol

Hi Guys,
I completed SMDEP this past summer at the Yale School of Medicine.
Let me know if you need any help, I was in your shoes last year and I know you all must have a lot of questions lol

I already submitted, so too late for me for that xD But I applied to Columbia, Yale, Howard. Can you tell about your experience, which cycle you applied, content of essays, and stats?

I already submitted, so too late for me for that xD But I applied to Columbia, Yale, Howard. Can you tell about your experience, which cycle you applied, content of essays, and stats?
I applied to the first cycle (BEFORE December 23rd) because the spots fill up very quickly. The sites I chose where Columbia, Howard, and Yale. I was not accepted into Howard, but I was accepted into both Columbia and Yale.
At the time of my application I was a sophomore, had a 3.94 GPA, and from a small state school. I had a lot of extracurricular activities and research experience.
I can tell you that this program will change your life! It was a lot of work but totally worth it. Yale focuses on preparing you academically to be the best you can be and the networking opportunities you get are absolutely incredible. There isn't really a way for me to describe the program, you just have to experience it for yourself. I am not just saying this because I went there, but Yale is definitely the best site. You can DM me if you have more questions.

You are fine! Lol! In fact, I called last week and was told that on December the 15th it will then show what they have recieved. It takes a while for the materials sent in to be matched with your application.

I was wondering why my app didnt show any update!!