SMP Advice - CA ORM, low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Buccimane1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I was just hoping I could get some quick advice as to which SMP I should choose to attend this coming August.

cGPA - 3.0
sGPA - 2.8
MCAT - 513
Research - 1 publication 1 poster
Clinical/Research Exp - > 5000 Hrs as clinical research coordinator
Volunteering - > 1000 Hrs
CA Resident - ORM
Non-traditional - 29 y.o, reapplicant (no interviews last cycle)

My options are:

Charles Drew MBS
  • In-state, Tuition is 33K
  • Volunteer and Research Exp. (Thesis)
  • Weak/No linkage to CDU/UCLA or CA MD schools
  • Small class size
  • New-ish program
EVMS MBS
  • Tuition is 46K
  • 5 out of 7 classes taken with MD Students
  • Good linkage to EVMS MD
  • Small class size
Georgetown SMP
  • Tuition is 54K
  • Classes taken with MD Students
  • Strong track record of students matriculating to other schools
  • Large class size
  • Most established/well-known SMP program in the country
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

What state do you live in? I'd pick the one that's closer to home. You want to stay in touch w/your support network in med school as well as during your SMP--you will be under a lot of stress to perfrom at a high level. Remember for your SMP that you want to exceed med school standards, not just match them. This means that if you are taking classes w/med students, you won't stand out if your grades are average. And in med school, everyone is smart so doing just "average" is a tall order as it is.

What state do you live in? I'd pick the one that's closer to home. You want to stay in touch w/your support network in med school as well as during your SMP--you will be under a lot of stress to perfrom at a high level. Remember for your SMP that you want to exceed med school standards, not just match them. This means that if you are taking classes w/med students, you won't stand out if your grades are average. And in med school, everyone is smart so doing just "average" is a tall order as it is.

I'm in Los Angeles, CA, so Charles Drew is quite near. The only thing is that it is not as nearly established as the EVMS or Georgetown programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hard truth-- apply to DO school, do a DO SMP with linkage (if you've applied and come up empty) or become a resident of a state with a less competitive MD school. Overcoming your sGPA as an ORM Californian is going to be hard. Convincing midwest MD schools (which will be your best shot) that you will want to come there as a Californian is hard. Crushing all of your SMP classes is hard, not to mention expensive, and there are no guarantees even if you do well.

Back in the day, I was a top performer at my MD SMP and today I am still at a DO school. These programs work for some people, but also do not work for a lot of people. You don't want to be one of them.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm in Los Angeles, CA, so Charles Drew is quite near. The only thing is that it is not as nearly established as the EVMS or Georgetown programs.
California is a notoriously difficult state to get into medical school in.

I went to Georgetown and I enjoyed the experience. It is difficult but it's a good school and community with lots of institutional support. But it's in DC so the COA is easily north of $70k.

Evms is much cheaper but also in Norfolk, VA. It's smaller and more southern, but it's a port town so lots of things to do.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey Buccimane! Asking for feedback on SDN is a step in the right direction

I would go to EVMS MD. I think it's a well-known program, good connections with its MD program. Small class size is good. I wouldn't go Georgetown SMP due to the higher difficulty of getting a good grad GPA. Remember this well - your SMP GPA is king. Take good care of it.

Why didn't you apply to Temple's masters program? It's a guaranteed accept there

Charles Drew DOES offer guaranteed interview. Program Information | Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science

Hard truth-- apply to DO school, do a DO SMP with linkage (if you've applied and come up empty) or become a resident of a state with a less competitive MD school. Overcoming your sGPA as an ORM Californian is going to be hard. Convincing midwest MD schools (which will be your best shot) that you will want to come there as a Californian is hard. Crushing all of your SMP classes is hard, not to mention expensive, and there are no guarantees even if you do well.

Back in the day, I was a top performer at my MD SMP and today I am still at a DO school. These programs work for some people, but also do not work for a lot of people. You don't want to be one of them.

Thanks for your response! I definitely think what you're saying is important, which is why I'm leaning EVMS as it seems to be the safest option, as in it provides the strongest informal linkage

Hey Buccimane! Asking for feedback on SDN is a step in the right direction

I would go to EVMS MD. I think it's a well-known program, good connections with its MD program. Small class size is good. I wouldn't go Georgetown SMP due to the higher difficulty of getting a good grad GPA. Remember this well - your SMP GPA is king. Take good care of it.

Why didn't you apply to Temple's masters program? It's a guaranteed accept there

Charles Drew DOES offer guaranteed interview. Program Information | Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science

Thanks for the warm welcome! I didn't apply to Temple because my cGPA didn't meet the requirement, and unfortunately the CDU program you linked is the Post-Bac program. I was accepted to the MBS. I haven't been able to find much info on it here on SDN though, so I'm hesitant.

Thanks for your response! I definitely think what you're saying is important, which is why I'm leaning EVMS as it seems to be the safest option, as in it provides the strongest informal linkage

Thanks for the warm welcome! I didn't apply to Temple because my cGPA didn't meet the requirement, and unfortunately the CDU program you linked is the Post-Bac program. I was accepted to the MBS. I haven't been able to find much info on it here on SDN though, so I'm hesitant.

Ah I see.

I would go for EVMS then. Good program, good connections, well-recognized.