SMP decision help needed! 2 days to decide

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tulane CMB or KCU COB

• Tulane

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • KCU

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MatrixMaven

Reaction score
So I've recently been accepted to a couple SMP programs for academic enhancement and I've narrowed it down to Tulane's masters in cell and molecular biology program and Kansas City University of Medicine's master of biomedical science. My goal after the program is MD. I'd really appreciate some insight on which program to go with or anyone's prior experiences with either program. I like that Tulane offers MCAT prep in their program, but I like that KCU's program is through the medical school. I'm not sure if this would limit admission for MD schools later though. Do MD schools look poorly on SMP's done at a DO school? Would greatly appreciate some insight on which of the two to go with!

- both programs are pretty similar in price

KCU pros:
-taught at a med school
-similar to M1 curriculum

KCU cons:
- large class size of 120+
- no MCAT prep offered
- not sure if it being at a DO school limits possibilities for MD schools

Tulane pros:
- small class size: ~35
- physician shadowing/ research
- MCAT prep

Tulane Cons:
- taught at college of science and engineering, not at med school

Members don't see this ad.

Tulane all the way with its reputation and MCAT prep (which is underrated because obv you gotta knock the MCAT outta the park!). If MD is the goal, Tulane will be recognized highly and the MCAT prep can only help you do better on the MCAT. Also, that small class size can be beneficial with more advising opportunities and more focus on their students. I wouldn’t be too concerned that it’s not done at the med school...either way, you have to do extremely well in either SMP

Disclaimer: I do not know much about about either program, just offering my own insight! Highly recommend speaking with alumni of these programs.

Good luck, let us know what you choose!

Reactions: 1 user
Tulane all the way with its reputation and MCAT prep (which is underrated because obv you gotta knock the MCAT outta the park!). If MD is the goal, Tulane will be recognized highly and the MCAT prep can only help you do better on the MCAT. Also, that small class size can be beneficial with more advising opportunities and more focus on their students. I wouldn’t be too concerned that it’s not done at the med school...either way, you have to do extremely well in either SMP

Disclaimer: I do not know much about about either program, just offering my own insight! Highly recommend speaking with alumni of these programs.

Good luck, let us know what you choose!
Thanks so much for your feedback!