SMP: Loyola MSMP Program

Started by Odyssey01
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Odyssey01

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone,

I am a recent college graduate at Loyola University Chicago (BS in Biology minor in Neuroscience). I haven't applied to medical schools yet because I haven't taken my MCAT.

Here are my stats so far:
cGPA=3.78
sGPA=3.74
6 years of clinical experience as a CNA (1 year at a rehab facility/nursing home and 5 years at the hospital)
No volunteer or shadowing experience so far (but I am planning to work on that this year)
No research experience

I am taking a gap year (possibly two) before I apply to medical schools. This is mainly due to making sure I am making the right career choice and that medicine is truly what I want. Despite my determination to pursue a career in medicine, I am concerned if I am prepared enough for the demands of medical school. I have completed a bulk of my pre-med classes at a community college which concerns me the most. I have learned that medical schools frown upon this. I took a year of gen bio, a year of gen chem, organic chemistry I and a year of calculus at the community college then I took organic chemistry II and a year of physics at the university alongside with upper-level science courses. Is it advisable for me to take an SMP program to show admission committees that I am competent academically? I would greatly appreciate any help and suggestions.

Thanks!
 
Hello everyone,


I am taking a gap year (possibly two) before I apply to medical schools. This is mainly due to making sure I am making the right career choice and that medicine is truly what I want.

study for your MCAT and take it. if you don't have the motivation to do that then that's how you know you shouldn't do med school