SMP or PostBacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChellyBean

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a senior at the University of California, Irvine. I am a Biological Science major and the first one to pursue a career in medicine. I came from a low achieving high school, but graduated at the top of my class. So I didn't know how to study until the end of my second year and had learned humility in many ways.

My current GPA and extracurricular are as follows:
cGPA: 2.92
sGPA: 2.75

I have 100+ of volunteering at St. Joseph Hospital with full patient interaction. (I help nurses turn patients, vitals, and put on leads)

I've done research with CHOC Children's Hospital, particularly in the Center for the Advancement of Pediatric Health (CAPH Department)

I'm currently doing research in the Vietnamese American Oral History Project (VAOHP) as the lead intern. With promises of being published in the next year or so

I've been a scout master for the past 3 years, and I've been in scouts for the last 10 years
As a whole we do volunteer work with the local church.

I also work with the Global Medical Brigades and we organize trips/funds to Ghana and Honduras to set up mobile clinics. I've personally been to Ghana.

I was planning to take a year off and study for the MCATs while continuing with some of my volunteer/research work. After taking the MCATs, with respect to my GPA should I apply to a PostBacc or an SMP?

My counselors aren't much help expect telling me to stop pursuing a career as a physician, and the physicians I turn to for help have no idea what SMP or PostBacc are. What can I do to earn my place at an Allopathic Medical school in the US? Money is not an issue, but I don't have millions to donate:laugh:

I ask that you give me a critical yet constructive answer.
Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Do everything in your power to take a few classes and raise your GPA above 3.0. I'd start there as you might get turned down by a few SMP and post-bac programs b/c of a sub 3.0 GPA. I don't know how many credits your GPA is based on, but I'd recommend doing that first (even if you have to take one or two more classes in the summer post graduating).

For an MD program you'll also likely need a good MCAT score and an SMP (I'd suggest that over a post-bac in your situation since it'll be hard to move your GPA substantially) though I know there are others on this forum with more experience.

I did an informal post-bac b/c I wanted to work and save up for med school and I wasn't certain about the whole thing when I started. Also I was trying to only bring up my science GPA mainly (3.25 sGPA was what I graduated with).

I am currently a senior at the University of California, Irvine. I am a Biological Science major and the first one to pursue a career in medicine. I came from a low achieving high school, but graduated at the top of my class. So I didn't know how to study until the end of my second year and had learned humility in many ways.

My current GPA and extracurricular are as follows:
cGPA: 2.92
sGPA: 2.75