SMP (Post Bac) Columbia or Wayne State: Please Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mes1990

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I just got into Columbia's 1 year master's in human nutrition as well as Wayne State's Masters in Biomedical Sciences 1 year program.

Columbia has the Ivy-league recognition, but I'm neither particularly interested in nutrition, nor do I think med schools are...yet I don't want to be presumptive and think that med school will not like columbia.

I would love to go to Wayne State's medical school and think I can succeed in the post bac program, but what if I do not get in to their med school? Will other schools even recognize Wayne State (it's not nearly as prestigious as Columbia)

Please help, I need to make this decision ASAP.

Thank you so much in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

I just got into Columbia's 1 year master's in human nutrition as well as Wayne State's Masters in Biomedical Sciences 1 year program.

Columbia has the Ivy-league recognition, but I'm neither particularly interested in nutrition, nor do I think med schools are...yet I don't want to be presumptive and think that med school will not like columbia.

I would love to go to Wayne State's medical school and think I can succeed in the post bac program, but what if I do not get in to their med school? Will other schools even recognize Wayne State (it's not nearly as prestigious as Columbia)
Please help, I need to make this decision ASAP.

Thank you so much in advance

I wouldn't call columbia's program a SMP. They don't have a linkage with the medical school. It's basically a 1-year program that offers nothing more than additional coursework at a big name institution.

The columbia program isn't going to wow anyone. It doesn't hold the same benefit as taking a real degree program there (undergrad/real masters/phD). If you're rehabing something (low UG gpa or whatever) the end result will be 60k debt/a useless masters/and no MD acceptance. Go to a program with a linkage.

I'd say go wayne.

SMP's are best used to matriculate into the home institutions medical college (through a linkage -- meaning x% further matriculate at this institution). Other than that, they're pretty much scams that will do minimal for your application.

The only non-linkage program that I respect is bryn mawr's -- becuase the top students actually get into US MD schools

IMO, the best SMP's are Cinci/toledo/tulane/temple and the rest that actually accept their masters students into their MD program

Last edited:
I wouldn't call columbia's program a SMP. They don't have a linkage with the medical school. It's basically a 1-year program that offers nothing more than additional coursework at a big name institution.

The columbia program isn't going to wow anyone. It doesn't hold the same benefit as taking a real degree program there (undergrad/real masters/phD). If you're rehabing something (low UG gpa or whatever) the end result will be 60k debt/a useless masters/and no MD acceptance. Go to a program with a linkage.

I'd say go wayne.

SMP's are best used to matriculate into the home institutions medical college (through a linkage -- meaning x% further matriculate at this institution). Other than that, they're pretty much scams that will do minimal for your application.

The only non-linkage program that I respect is bryn mawr's -- becuase the top students actually get into US MD schools

IMO, the best SMP's are Cinci/toledo/tulane/temple and the rest that actually accept their masters students into their MD program

Really, really appreciate your response. Thank you.
If anyone has any other opinions (along the same lines, or otherwise) please let me know

Members don't see this ad :)
What about Georgetown's SMP?

What about Georgetown's SMP?

1) very expensive
2) its a bad gamble -- they don't keep as many of their students. (around 20-30% if i remember correctly).

From the webpage:
The SMP has an excellent success rate as far as its graduates matriculating to medical school; historically, 50-60% of SMP students have gained admission to medical school during the year they are enrolled in the program. Approximately 85% of all SMP students have eventually been accepted to medical school.

- the 50-60% who gain acceptance elsewhere -- so what? Most SMP students are DO caliber students -- so they could get in. But, they want to shoot for the MD.
- 85% get accepted somewhere is a total BS claim. They pad this stat by considering DO/PODS/caribbean to be medical schools too.

I'm not a fan of the georgetown SMP. A guy who graduated with me did it -- and now he's at ohio univeristy DO school