SMP Program Suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smartguru11

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I am thinking about applying to SMPs (still undecided). I know I'm a little late in the game.

Should I still apply or not? What are your personal thoughts and experiences? If so, which programs are the best, given the following stats:

cGPA - 3.79
sGPA - 3.83
MCAT - 500/503

I appreciate everyone in advanced.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't apply. SMPs are for people with subpar GPAs. Your GPAs are great. Your MCAT score is your problem. SMPs won't fix that.

You likely won't even get accepted to the reputable SMPs with those MCAT scores, so save your cash and apply DO or invest in a legit MCAT prep course.

I agree with most of the above post. SMP really won't help you as your GPA is fine. The only thing I disagree with is SMPs not taking you; they will certainly take your money.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
At the top, SMPs are competitive. They won't take non-competitive applicants because their inability to get into med school reflects bad on their program.

That being said, new SMPs pop up every cycle. If OP was determined to get into an SMP, they could certainly find one that would take them (bad MCAT scores and all), cash their tuition check, and leave them no better off than they are now.

At the top, SMPs are competitive. They won't take non-competitive applicants because their inability to get into med school reflects bad on their program.

That being said, new SMPs pop up every cycle. If OP was determined to get into an SMP, they could certainly find one that would take them (bad MCAT scores and all), cash their tuition check, and leave them no better off than they are now.
ehhhh not exactly true. While I agree that OP should just focus on MCAT studying for the next two months and bang out a better MCAT score, I disagree that an SMP wouldn't help in that endeavor.
Depends on the SMP, but most have classes that over-prepare students for the MCAT with classes like grad/med school Biochemistry. Last year a student with a ~500 retook the MCAT after attending the same SMP I went through and scored a 519. A 19 point boost into the 95th percentile is nothing to shake a stick at. I have friends who just graduated the same SMP with me and are retaking the MCAT and they all feel MUCH more ready for it than the first time they took it.

But yanno YMMV/N=1 and all that jazz

So yes an SMP might help, but probably isn't the right course for you @Smartguru11

SMP is to make up for bad GPAs so no you should not apply. You need to take a year off to study for the MCAT. Off meaning not in school.