SMPs and Post Bac Recommedations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EPowdar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am a current junior and transfer student at a state university who needs some help. I am looking into potential post bac and SMPs and I am wondering does anyone have any recommendations of programs that they have done? I also want to know if these programs target those of underrepresented groups or economically disadvantaged? I currently have a 3.02 gpa at my transfer school (not good, I know) but I am very confident that I can pull my gpa between now and next year because I've shaken off the adjustment period. I am considering doing perhaps a fifth year and loading up on more hard sciences and taking other classes that I may an interest in to boost my gpa and show that I can handle the coursework without worrying about the expenses of a postbac or SMP? What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
With regard to programmes with URM focus, you may want to look into the programme at Georgetown, as well as other popular ones mentioned frequently on this board. I believe Touro has a programme...last time I checked there was a pathway for guaranteed acceptance depending on performance. Though I don't know if you have a particular preference with regard to MD versus DO. SUNY Upstate has a medical scholars masters program with conditional acceptance, but I believe you would need to be referred by their adcom. AMSNY offers a free postbaccalaureate programme through SUNY Buffalo, but it's not something you can apply to directly. I mention this because it seems as if expense may be important to you. I did attend one of these programmes; PM me if you need to know which one. You will need to bring your GPA up to the B+range and have a decent MCAT score in order to give yourself the best chance. Also, please do your research and be wary of a lot of these programmes. Realise that many of these programmes are high volume and major money makers for their affiliated institutions; ensuring your success might not always be the bottom line. I have a few friends that have attended some of the more popular programmes....paid a rather large chunk of change...and walked away with no acceptance and an utterly worthless "masters" degree. With that said, try to look for something with a conditional acceptance (i.e. requirements are realistic) for all students. Best of luck.

In a post bac at drexel called DPMS gives conditional acceptance as long as you make contract which is currently 3.0 GPA with no class below a C and either a 23 on MCAT(breakdown must be 8,7,7 or higher) or if you came in with that passing(getting a 70 or higher) in immunology.