SMPs and Post Bac Recommedations

Started by EPowdar
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

EPowdar

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone,

I am a current junior and transfer student at a state university who needs some help. I am looking into potential post bac and SMPs and I am wondering does anyone have any recommendations of programs that they have done? I also want to know if these programs target those of underrepresented groups or economically disadvantaged? I currently have a 3.02 gpa at my transfer school (not good, I know) but I am very confident that I can pull my gpa between now and next year because I've shaken off the adjustment period. I am considering doing perhaps a fifth year and loading up on more hard sciences and taking other classes that I may an interest in to boost my gpa and show that I can handle the coursework without worrying about the expenses of a postbac or SMP? What do you guys think?
 
Last edited:
With regard to programmes with URM focus, you may want to look into the programme at Georgetown, as well as other popular ones mentioned frequently on this board. I believe Touro has a programme...last time I checked there was a pathway for guaranteed acceptance depending on performance. Though I don't know if you have a particular preference with regard to MD versus DO. SUNY Upstate has a medical scholars masters program with conditional acceptance, but I believe you would need to be referred by their adcom. AMSNY offers a free postbaccalaureate programme through SUNY Buffalo, but it's not something you can apply to directly. I mention this because it seems as if expense may be important to you. I did attend one of these programmes; PM me if you need to know which one. You will need to bring your GPA up to the B+range and have a decent MCAT score in order to give yourself the best chance. Also, please do your research and be wary of a lot of these programmes. Realise that many of these programmes are high volume and major money makers for their affiliated institutions; ensuring your success might not always be the bottom line. I have a few friends that have attended some of the more popular programmes....paid a rather large chunk of change...and walked away with no acceptance and an utterly worthless "masters" degree. With that said, try to look for something with a conditional acceptance (i.e. requirements are realistic) for all students. Best of luck.
 
In a post bac at drexel called DPMS gives conditional acceptance as long as you make contract which is currently 3.0 GPA with no class below a C and either a 23 on MCAT(breakdown must be 8,7,7 or higher) or if you came in with that passing(getting a 70 or higher) in immunology.