NGMD

2+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello, I am a 21 yr old AA male from a top 20 undergrad institution. I am currently a senior and plan on taking the MCAT early next year. I plan on applying to med school in the 2019-2020 cycle, but i am not convinced in the strength of my application. Basically, I am looking for advice on any post-bacc programs or Gap year opportunities any of you know about that would help me improve my application.
cGPA: 3.4
sGPA: 3.43
MCAT: not taken yet (update: 515)
clinical volunteering: ~100hrs
non clinical volunteering: ~500hrs
research: 1 semester cancer research, 1 year prison healthcare research, no pubs
shadowing: ~50hrs with about 50 more hours lined up

Ideally im looking to improve my GPA and clinical hours over my Gap year, but if anyone thinks there is something else i need to improve i very open to criticism. I have begun apps to the following programs:
1. Loyola MAMS
2. Boston MAMS
3. Tufts MS in BIomedical Science
4. Johns Hopkins MS in Biotechnology

Thank you for your help

Last edited:

bree95

2+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
If you are looking for more research experience consider the NIH IRTA/CRTA program. You get paid a stipend every month and may be able to take online classes if there are only a few you need to retake.

skysong007

5+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello, I am a 21 yr old AA male from a top 20 undergrad institution. I am currently a senior and plan on taking the MCAT early next year. I plan on applying to med school in the 2019-2020 cycle, but i am not convinced in the strength of my application. Basically, I am looking for advice on any post-bacc programs or Gap year opportunities any of you know about that would help me improve my application.
cGPA: 3.4
sGPA: 3.43
MCAT: not taken yet
clinical volunteering: ~100hrs
non clinical volunteering: ~500hrs
research: 1 semester cancer research, 1 year prison healthcare research, no pubs
shadowing: ~50hrs with about 50 more hours lined up

Ideally im looking to improve my GPA and clinical hours over my Gap year, but if anyone thinks there is something else i need to improve i very open to criticism. I have begun apps to the following programs:
1. Loyola MAMS
2. Boston MAMS
3. Tufts MS in BIomedical Science
4. Johns Hopkins MS in Biotechnology

Thank you for your help

Consider the Mayo Clinic Post-baccalaureate (PREP) program or the AMSNY/SMBS program at SUNY. They're all programs where you'll get research hours, shadowing if you like, and you get a monthly stipend instead of you having to pay tuition.

AliBabaMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
Nov 28, 2018
Los Angeles
With your grades and underrep background, if you take and get a solid score, I don't think you will need postbac. PM me if you want more details but I feel confident about this.

AB

Sep 4, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
I agree with AB, I have about the same stats as you and I have gotten 3 interview invites so far. If you're content with not going to harvard, then you should be fine without a postbac; just get a good score.

Reactions: OchemOficionado
OP
N

NGMD

2+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I agree with AB, I have about the same stats as you and I have gotten 3 interview invites so far. If you're content with not going to harvard, then you should be fine without a postbac; just get a good score.
I am very content with not going to Harvard LOL. Can I PM you for advice

Luftwaffle

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
May 11, 2014
Status
I don't think you need a postbacc either.
I have worse GPAs , a formerly average but now below average MCAT, no research and less volunteering hours (still like 100, 50 clinical and nonclinical respectively) and have gotten a few II (I expected none).
just make sure your school list is very tailored in regards to a match between your values and the schools' values. Also, it goes without saying, kill the MCAT (so aim for 510+)

OchemOficionado

2+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2016
Status
I think you’d be wasting your money and time on a post bac as well. If anything, I can see you taking a few classes to boost you up a little, but not necessary. I think your plans are solid. Your main focus should be the MCAT. The higher you score, the more opportunities you’ll have.

Reactions: PinkHibiscus

Rath535

2+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2016
Status
Still studying for the MCAT, trying to make sure i get the highest score possible
Same basic Stats 3.5/3.5 AA male 511 mcat and checked off the basic pre reqs, 11 interviews , 3 acceptances (1 top 20 ) to date. You got this in the bag just kill the mcat

OP
N

NGMD

2+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I think you’d be wasting your money and time on a post bac as well. If anything, I can see you taking a few classes to boost you up a little, but not necessary. I think your plans are solid. Your main focus should be the MCAT. The higher you score, the more opportunities you’ll have.
Hi I know its been a long time since i made this post I got a 515, what next