SMPs and waitlists?

Started by punkun
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

punkun

yeah yeah
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I applied to med school this year, and I got one interview, which turned into one waitlist. I got news of the waitlist after I applied to a few SMP programs. I am wondering whether or not I should update the SMP's on this info.

On one hand, being on a waitlist shows that I am not a total long-shot for med school one day.

On the other, I don't want the SMP's to pass me by because they think I don't need them or something? While I definitely would choose the med school over SMP, I don't want that to be a deciding factor for them because I feel like getting in this year is improbable for me at this point.

What should I do?
 
So I applied to med school this year, and I got one interview, which turned into one waitlist. I got news of the waitlist after I applied to a few SMP programs. I am wondering whether or not I should update the SMP's on this info.

On one hand, being on a waitlist shows that I am not a total long-shot for med school one day.

On the other, I don't want the SMP's to pass me by because they think I don't need them or something? While I definitely would choose the med school over SMP, I don't want that to be a deciding factor for them because I feel like getting in this year is improbable for me at this point.

What should I do?

Don't update them about a waitlist. SMPs know that you're trying to get into med school; they expect you to withdraw if you are accepted to a medical school. Besides, if your application is good enough to get an interview, it's likely you'll get into most SMPs.