Sn1/sn2/e1/e2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redchesus

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would any Ochem masters be willing to summarize the conditions for SN1/SN2/E1/E2 for me?

I haven't found a source that tells me exactly when one is preferable over the others? Kaplan compares SN1 and SN2 but doesn't compare them to the eliminations. I know SN2 and E2 sometimes compete?

Thank ya!

Members don't see this ad.

I would say Chad's video explains it better than anybody that I know.

Here is a summary of what he said (I might skip some).

Sn2 = back attack causing inversion, prefers CH3>primary>secondary whereas the other 3 prefers tertiary>secondary>primary...etc. SN2 and E2 prefers aprotic such as acetone, DMF, DMSO, ether wheras the other two prefers protic solvents.
SN2 and E2 prefers strong nucleophile or base. nucleophile and base are basically the same thing. Usually, strong ones have negatively charged ion such as NaOH. Tertiary and bulky base prefers E2 and i think it forms less stable one(hoffman). there are also list of strong nucleophile but not strong base such as NaCl, NaBr, NaI...etc because HCl, HBr, HI are strong bases which means Cl-, Br-, I- are very weak base but these got negative charge thus making them strong nucleophile. E1 and Sn1 are also very similar to each other but E1 prefers higher temperature.

Oh! I totally forgot about Chad, I've only been looking at text sources. I'll check the videos out. Thanks!