Sn2ed Plan Still a Good Idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kurite

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Im currently registered to take the mcat on may 31st 2014. I will be taking around 14 credit hours with a part time job (around 12 hours of work a week). I want to start studying now or within the end of the week. My question is, is the SN2ed study method still generally considered the best study plan out there and is it up to date on its information?
Thank you very much
Im sorry if this has been asked,
Adam

Members don't see this ad.

This question seems to come up every few weeks or so. The short answer is "yes" - it's still a good plan. The MCAT hasn't changed in any meaningful way.

What has changed somewhat is the landscape of good low-cost and no-cost MCAT prep options since the plan was written. Things like mcatquestion.com and mcatforme.com (along with others) offer more choices for students trying to keep costs down.

I put together my own plan here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/breaking-down-the-mcat-100-days-to-mcat-success.1043255/ if you want to see another take on things or see other bits of advice about how to structure your work.

Im personally not all that worried about costs, my parents said its my future so whatever goes. Do you think i should follow SN2eds plan if money doesnt get in the way?
Thanks for the reply

Im personally not all that worried about costs, my parents said its my future so whatever goes. Do you think i should follow SN2eds plan if money doesnt get in the way?
Thanks for the reply

Yes. It's a good plan. That being said, you don't have to follow it day for day.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply

If you were really in a total "money is no object" situation, here's what I'd actually recommend:

1. Buy the Kaplan Course to get access to their full online syllabus. It's amazing and has SO many resources, plus it's got everything by the AAMC.
2. Hire a tutor for once a week sessions for the next five months (obviously I think you should come to Next Step, but whoever you pick, stick with a small company - the tutoring you get from KTP/TPR is really mediocre and laughably overpriced)
3. Buy all of the TBR tests

Those three things would add up to the "Cadillac of MCAT Prep", so to speak. Kaplan gets you the volume of resources, tutoring gets you the individual attention, and TBR gets you more test-like practice exams.

Good luck! :)

Hello,
Im currently registered to take the mcat on may 31st 2014. I will be taking around 14 credit hours with a part time job (around 12 hours of work a week). I want to start studying now or within the end of the week. My question is, is the SN2ed study method still generally considered the best study plan out there and is it up to date on its information?
Thank you very much
Im sorry if this has been asked,
Adam

It's best to look at how many of the self-studiers in the 30+ advice thread used the SN2ed method (or a slight variation of it) to see that the plan is highly effective. Stay on a schedule and spend time getting better at processing passages and working your way through questions, and you'll be fine. The most important part of your preparation will be thoroughly going over your homework after you've finished. Detailed answer explanations that offer strategies and come from a POE perspective are going to be your best teacher.

Thanks for the reply

It's nice to not have cost as a concern, but don't fall into the trap that the more you spend the better you'll do. Find the plan that fits your approach to the exam and make it happen. Invest only in things that will help you get where you need to be. Money doesn't expire, so whatever you don't need spend getting into medical school can always be used during medical school. ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you everyone for all your input.
@BerkReviewTeach thank you for the advice. I realize that this isnt a money game, its a how much work am I willing to put in game.

IMO, it is not really effective. Maybe it works fine for others, but not for me. How are you gonna remember previous chapters (ex: ch1,2) when you are going through ch 10?

You need repetitive reviews to memorize + understand things perfectly.

You need repetitive reviews to memorize + understand things perfectly.

That's certainly something everyone would agree with. In fact, in my study plan, you see that I ask students to come back and review each EK chapter (either by re-skimming the chapter or re-doing some questions) as much as five times. Mere familiarity and recognition isn't enough. You've got to know the basics down pat.