SNF?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoBeers

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Posting again from Pain Forum.
I'm anesthesia trained and in a clinic that has expanded into new territory. volume is growing but only modest. I was thinking of cold calling local SNFs .

anyone here ever do SNF?
how did you start the process?
strictly med mgmt ?
was it monthly visits? bi weekly or weekly?
did you find those that d/c'd from SNF end up in your clinic eventually?
any red flag issues or logistical issues or unforeseen concerns that bother you?
any potential for malpractice claims just because you hold a medical director title?
is it even worth having medical director titleship and what does it actually entail?

thanks for sharing your insight everyone

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Quite a few of us. Some are full time. Rarely do we only do just med management as PM&R. Weekly visits but usually 2-3/week for short term rehab patients. Med director comes with its own sets of issues and most SNFs will not just give you the title unless you are Primary care and can bring in referrals.

Reactions: 1 user
I think the type of SNF consults you are talking about are typically rehab trained docs providing rehab consults for function, impairments, pain, bowel/bladder, ect. I think it would help if you state what you are planning on doing with the consults.

Any provider can do pain while inpatient. Which is mostly medical management. If you are looking to do injections it is probably better to get them in your clinic. You will be less efficient in the SNF and I don’t believe you would get directly reimbursed. If you’re looking to get referrals, why not just buy lunch for the geriatricians and try to get referrals.

I wouldn’t think you are wanting to get into opiate prescribing at SNFs and then follow these patient’s outpatient for that. It’s a possibility, but not typically something I hear a pain management doc want to do. Or want to manage in the LtC or AL environment.

Pain docs also typically want healthy people that they get good outcomes on. A lot of these folks are ill and your complication rate and success rates will do the wrong ways.

Reactions: 2 users