I'm still working on my undergrad that I started back in 1994. There were some intervening years of military service and two years of just plain old fashioned paralyzing confusion where I accumulated only 12 hours.
I could graduate this semester but I'm spacing my classes out so I can take the BCMP classes at my state school. As a senior I'll have first choice at registration to get into the time schedule I need. But by going this route I will not graduate until Winter or Spring of 2006. This will be as a double major in English and Interpersonal Communication, and a double minor in Psychology and Legal Studies.
However, I am considering combining the BCMP classes with my Psyc classes to end up with a third degree in Neuroscience. This would require me to take about 5 extra classes that I otherwise would not have taken. I figure it will make me a stronger applicant if I go ahead and do this. There are several reasons for this, but I won't bore everyone with all the details.
The point is that I'm now 33 and have not even recieved a bachelors degree much less a masters. I'll be 36 when I start medical school, if I get in on the first try. But, I have to follow my heart now because I've talked myself out of going for medschool since the beginning. 7-12 years of one's life being devoted to just preparing for a job was always a turn off for me. But look at me...I started college in 1994, and it is now 2004. If I would have only listened to my heart 10 years ago instead of looking for a quick but unsatisfying solution to a career.
Live and learn, baby, live and learn.
JJ