So are you finished with school yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cdiddy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 25 and I took about 3 years off from school between the age of 21 and 24. Everytime I go to family outings like Thanksgiving, it seems that I am always bugged with the question about am I finally finished with school. I am wondering if this bothers anyone else. I am proud of myself that I haven't given up on my education.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah. It's more spasm-inducing cousin is the question, "Are you done with your thesis yet? Whaddya mean there's no set graduation date in grad school?"

:mad: :mad:

No. I 'll just be starting my junior year in the spring of 2005. :)

Cdiddy said:
......I am proud of myself that I haven't given up on my education.

:D :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
Done with my schooling until I get accepted to med school and/or the military decides to send me to some school :laugh:

YES! I hear the same thing from everyone in my family, too! :) In fact, I just got back from a family outing where I got to answer that one more than a few times.

It's nice to know I'm not the only one!

I took 4 years off from school. 22 now, and I'm a freshman. So don't feel bad. :p

IUgrad said:
YES! I hear the same thing from everyone in my family, too! :) In fact, I just got back from a family outing where I got to answer that one more than a few times.

It's nice to know I'm not the only one!

I know!! Family outings can be really challenging especially if your family isn't aware that after you graduate (in my case med or pharm school), you have years :eek: left beore you actually "get in the real world". ;)

Hey, but it's all good anyway. :p

Alwayshope said:
I took 4 years off from school. 22 now, and I'm a freshman. So don't feel bad. :p

Take a look at my sig. :D

I'm just starting in a post-bacc program, but I had deferred a year (I was accepted in Sep. '03) and finished my BA in May of '03. Therefore, everyone I know thinks I'm either still in undergrad or am entering a fifth year in my post-bacc program. :rolleyes:

I'm still working on my undergrad that I started back in 1994. There were some intervening years of military service and two years of just plain old fashioned paralyzing confusion where I accumulated only 12 hours.

I could graduate this semester but I'm spacing my classes out so I can take the BCMP classes at my state school. As a senior I'll have first choice at registration to get into the time schedule I need. But by going this route I will not graduate until Winter or Spring of 2006. This will be as a double major in English and Interpersonal Communication, and a double minor in Psychology and Legal Studies.

However, I am considering combining the BCMP classes with my Psyc classes to end up with a third degree in Neuroscience. This would require me to take about 5 extra classes that I otherwise would not have taken. I figure it will make me a stronger applicant if I go ahead and do this. There are several reasons for this, but I won't bore everyone with all the details.

The point is that I'm now 33 and have not even recieved a bachelors degree much less a masters. I'll be 36 when I start medical school, if I get in on the first try. But, I have to follow my heart now because I've talked myself out of going for medschool since the beginning. 7-12 years of one's life being devoted to just preparing for a job was always a turn off for me. But look at me...I started college in 1994, and it is now 2004. If I would have only listened to my heart 10 years ago instead of looking for a quick but unsatisfying solution to a career.

Live and learn, baby, live and learn.

JJ

MedSchoolFool said:
I'm still working on my undergrad that I started back in 1994. There were some intervening years of military service and two years of just plain old fashioned paralyzing confusion where I accumulated only 12 hours.

I've finally found someone with the near same story as mine (althoug I'm a wee bit older)

I'll turn 36 in October and I started college in 1993 after being in the Army from 1988 to 1992. I'll start med school when I'm 38 y/o. I managed to screw around and not decide what career path to pursue. In 1995 I graduated from the Police Academy and did a short stint as a law enforcement officer ( I was an MP in the Army) In 2001 I completed a year of law school. Something was nagging the back of my mind. I didn't know where the itch was, much less how to scratch it! Making the decision to become a Dr. put it all together.

Today I'm completing pre-med courses while completing a BA of Liberal Arts at the Harvard Extension School. I've really enjoyed my classess at Harvard and met some interesting people.

Most of all I love knowing where I'm going in life after nearly 17 years of doing other things. Never lose hope or thing you are too old for anything! If something is really important to you....you will find a way to do it!

Yes, finally. In August I finished my post-bacc program and am now applying. Before that I did 4 years of college and then law school. So basically 8.5 years of intense school all at once. I'm living it up now that I finally have a break, and if all goes well I'll start back up this August for med school.

An off topic question - Can anyone here direct me to a link of some type of forum like SDN that is for people applying to law school? I post alot in the Pre-Allo forum and wasn't sure where to post this. I've gone to google and found many forums for pre-law etc but they don't seem as good as this one!
Thanks.

An off topic question - Can anyone here direct me to a link of some type of forum like SDN that is for people applying to law school? I post alot in the Pre-Allo forum and wasn't sure where to post this. I've gone to google and found many forums for pre-law etc but they don't seem as good as this one!
Thanks.

Why exactly did you dredge up a 2004 thread to ask this? There are several pre-law type boards but off the top of my head I don't remember their names. There used to be a "greedy law students" board on infirmation.com; if it's still there you can see if they can link you to one.