So Confused..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KittenRescue

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, First I am not a traditional student.
I went to my community college 7 years ago and earned about 47 credits. Recently I went back to school at a Private 4 year school which has a "Pre-Vet" Program. (I have completed 18 credits so far. 3.8 gpa) While taking your pre-reqs for vet school you also take vet tech classes. (There is also a Tech Program)
Now through the grapevine I have heard that this a a bogus major and that Vet school do not look at this as a positive.. Meaning no better then a student with just a B.S in Biology.. So I was thinking I should just transfer to my State school which is a SUNY school and just finish my degree in Biology. It would be thousands cheaper and much closer. This private school is about an hour away. Now the reason I chose this school is with the thought process that I would be a better canidate for vet school, but since I am hearing this is not true, I am seriously thinking about transferring this fall. So I have to make my decision quick.. I do like the school I go to but it is very expensive and far from my home and work. I'm just wondering if anyone had been through this or has any advice.
The private school also has a agreement with Ross, that if you have a 3.2 at graduation from this program you will be automatically admitted. This was my biggest selling point and a reason I decided to attend,but after some research it seems that anyone with a decent GPA and GRE score would be admitted. Plus Cornell would be my first choice.
Now would it look bad going to 3 different schools for undergrad? I am so confused.. :bang:

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, First I am not a traditional student.
I went to my community college 7 years ago and earned about 47 credits. Recently I went back to school at a Private 4 year school which has a "Pre-Vet" Program. (I have completed 18 credits so far. 3.8 gpa) While taking your pre-reqs for vet school you also take vet tech classes. (There is also a Tech Program)
Now through the grapevine I have heard that this a a bogus major and that Vet school do not look at this as a positive.. Meaning no better then a student with just a B.S in Biology.. So I was thinking I should just transfer to my State school which is a SUNY school and just finish my degree in Biology. It would be thousands cheaper and much closer. This private school is about an hour away. Now the reason I chose this school is with the thought process that I would be a better canidate for vet school, but since I am hearing this is not true, I am seriously thinking about transferring this fall. So I have to make my decision quick.. I do like the school I go to but it is very expensive and far from my home and work. I'm just wondering if anyone had been through this or has any advice.
The private school also has a agreement with Ross, that if you have a 3.2 at graduation from this program you will be automatically admitted. This was my biggest selling point and a reason I decided to attend,but after some research it seems that anyone with a decent GPA and GRE score would be admitted. Plus Cornell would be my first choice.
Now would it look bad going to 3 different schools for undergrad? I am so confused.. :bang:

The only value to taking vet tech classes is that they may help you find a job as a tech. But if you are willing to gain experience through shadowing or as an assistant or as an unlicensed tech, there is no value at all if you intend to become a veterinarian.

If I were you, I would definitely switch schools to save money and do a real biology major. And I don't think three schools reflects poorly on you, especially as a non-trad. I had three as well.

The Ross claim seems kinda silly, considering that most people with a 3.2 GPA would probably be able to get into Ross anyway. Is this a DeVry university by chance? DeVry owns Ross...

Good luck!

Meaning no better then a student with just a B.S in Biology..

I applied with a B.A. in biology, and really no one cared. Interviewers told me they were impressed with my choice of curriculum (no so much the major itself, but the courses I chose to take within/outside my major). I could have taken the same -ology courses with an art history major if I wanted ;). So if you have good reasons for wanting to transfer, go for it!

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied with a B.A. in biology, and really no one cared. Interviewers told me they were impressed with my choice of curriculum (no so much the major itself, but the courses I chose to take within/outside my major). I could have taken the same -ology courses with an art history major if I wanted ;). So if you have good reasons for wanting to transfer, go for it!

Good point. A lot of schools look positively on extra upper-division biomedical-type courses, but it doesn't matter whether or not you're a biology major. It's just easy to become one if you end up taking many of those.

The only real positive I can think of with your current school is that it might provide more animal experience inside the classroom, which could augment the experience you get in your non-class, free time. However, if you have plenty of hours already working with vets and animals, then go wherever you'll be happiest (sounds like the SUNY school).

I'm very non-trad (43 and I'm just about to start my first year) and I had six colleges I had to submit transcripts for, so I'd have to say being non-trad and having multiple colleges is not necessarily a negative. Although I did finish my BA at one college in four years; the other colleges were for other degrees and the pre-reqs once I started on the vet school path. I presented it all as a "lifelong learning" thing and the willingness to "do whatever it takes" to acheive my goal - all of which is true but also a good way to spin a convoluted academic record.

I agree with previous comments, no point in doing any vet tech program if your real goal is vet school. You're better off saving your money and doing a straight bio degree.

But, and I don't want to seem negative because it sounds like from your grades at least you probably have a decent shot, there might be other things adcomms would be concerned about in your case. What have you been doing for the seven years since you first went to the CC? Was it something productive that you can be proud to discuss in an interview? Or did you just kind of decide college wasn't for you and you've futzed around for most of that time? Also, why did you end up in an expensive vet tech program if you really wanted to be a veterinarian? Did you get snookered or not do the research you should have before committing to a program like that? Not saying any of that is true, but as you've presented it your history could raise some red flags that you should be prepared to explain.

I'm going to second lunajett's statement about multiple schools not mattering. I'm a traditional student, and I attended 6 schools in 5 years. It never even came up. If they had asked, I would have just said "I did it because that's what it took for me to get here from an English major."

Thank you all for your responses.. I will try to answer all questions.. 1st the school I am currently at is called Mercy College. There are 2 different programs, Pre-Vet and Vet Tech.. although they try to get everyone from pre-vet to switch to vet tech..
The SUNY school by me is SUNY Old Westbury. It is like 10 minutes from my house..
Long story short I went to my community college and did all my pre-reqs to try to get into a school in CA- Moorepark college- It is a teaching Zoo basically, well I did not get in. They say they admit students by a lottery.. Who knows.. All I know I was number 7 on the waiting list and they got to number 6.. So my heart was broken and I decided to take a semester off of school.. Started Pet sitting, Some how I wound up starting my own pet sitting business, getting married and never went back to school. Woke up at 29 and said what the hell am I doing? During Highschool I worked at mutiple animal hospitals but thought I could never put an animal to sleep.. Plus to much school.. So never really thought about vet school.. now all I want to do is go to vet scool. I literally think about it constantly. I have a job at an animal clinic now for almost a year so I am getting lots of hours.. So thats my life story..LOL
From your responses I def think I will prob transfer. I just hope all my credits will transfer. So stressfull!

Awesome..Where in LI?? I grew up in Hicksville, live in Mineola now.. I Really know nothing about Old westbury so if anyone knows anything about it, would love to hear it!!

Ahh, a fellow Long Islander...
I love Old Westbury! Almost went there myself, but really really REALLY wanted to get off the island and away from my parents for the first time in my life. And doesnt Old Westbury let you take classes at NYIT too?

Oh my. From the Gisland to Ok? I never would have guessed.

I grew up on the South Shore (Merrick and Bellmore), but haven't been there in a looong time. I think last time was to show my wife my ugly high school.. But that was.. let's see... well, a long time ago.

So, your actual BS will be in veterinary technology. That in itself shouldn't be a problem as long as it fullfills the pre-reqs for vet school. However, other than maybe some lead in info and some skills, it isn't any better or worse than a BA/BS in biology, fine arts, philosophy, etc. I don't know as much about Mercy's program, but I know the vet techs from Purdue's 4 yr program are sought after as techs, but it isn't necessary if your goal is vet med; there aren't that many 4 yr programs in vet tech so it is a bit unusual.

So, go to the school that is best for you; you will have to define best (cheaper, more convenient, better class options, staff that you like, oppurtunities that work for you, etc.)

Oh, and I started vet school at 30, after deciding at 28 that it was about time I tried for admission.