So do any of you have a secondary profession/hobby?

Started by murdainc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

murdainc

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just wondering... I was thinking about looking into one of real estate, culinary, or acupuncture after I graduate (in my spare time)... You know, just broaden my knowledge...

Do any of you guys have a second passion?
 
Yes, I am really a PhD in statistics, and not in a PharmD program, but I think the difficulty is quite similar, just with applied mathematics instead of science.

Well, my other passion is classical piano, and I was at New England Conservatory on full scholarship for two years under the most well-known teacher, and still keep a very large repertoire. I eventually plan to go to Paris for the Grands Concours de Amateurs (which is actually a tough competition), since it is made up of many people with degrees from professional music schools who chould not make a living from it.

I won the concerto competition at New England Conservatory in my second year, and in 1995 I went to the Junior division of the Tchaikovsky Competition in Sendai, Japan. Lang Lang, who you can find recordings in any fye, or music store, won the first prize that year. And the second prize winner, of that comeptition, Ayako Uehara, won the Moscow Tchaikovsky Competition in 2002.

I have been practicing 4 Beethoven sonatas over break.

Any other pianists, or other musicians out there?

I know there are a lot of medical students out there with this passion but what about pharmacy students? There is almost no one who does this in my statistics PhD program.

My aunt is a pharmacist but she does not play music. She graduated with B.S. from MCPHS-Boston Class of 1984.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I used to be a self-employed computer programmer and I still have a couple of clients. I do my own tech support. I worked Friday night and Saturday morning this week doing some year-end clean up on servers.

I'm impressed CDpiano27. I'm not a classically trained musician. I played in a few punk/alternative bands from 1980 until 1985. My parents gave me piano lessons when I was 12. I used to figure out songs and play by ear when I was a kid, so they thought it would be a good thing. I quit after a year. Everything else is self-taught. My primary band instrument was bass guitar, but I can play keyboards, guitar and drums.

I used to mountain bike as a hobby, but age has taken control of my body. I have degenerative disc disease, bone spurs and stenosis of my cervical spine. I tore the meniscus in my left knee back in February while squatting. So, I stopped squatting and used my back. The meniscus surgery was in August, but I blew out a disc in my lumbar spine from not squatting. Needless to say, mountain biking is out. Now I spend time swimming. I was in the pool for 5 hours yesterday.
 
I do pilates. It keeps me in relatively good shape year round, and it maintains my flexibility from gymnastics. I can also do it in the comfort of my home, which is the best part. 👍 👍 👍

I also enjoy reading about Russian history, particularly the era of Czar Nicholas II. It's good stuff.

Oh yeah, and BOOMER SOONER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
I own a DME business beside working hospital RX.

But let me tell you... pharmacy and business are the last things I enjoy doing.
I was born to play because I realized long ago playing is much more fun than working... but work supports my playing...hence I work..as little as possible.

I golf passionately..traveling the country with my closest friends.

I play piano and guitar..and played in a rock band in the eighties winning a few talent shows... no I will not post a picture of me wearing bandanas and a long hair do... and leopard print tight pants...but I can still serenade on the piano and my ole classical guitar.

My grandfather gave me his old photography stuff when I was in Middle School... now I do portrait photography for family and friends in my home made studio.. and I don't charge.

I'm passionate about college football.

I'm passionately searching for an RV for my family.... and golf outing with the guys.

I'm passionate about my lawn care.

I was a passionate athlete when I was in High School...

I passionately avoid boredom.

There are so many things I'm interested in...but not enough time to do it all. I am Jack of All Trades..and absolutely Master of None.. I know little bit about a lot of things but not a lot about one thing.

My mind races constantly looking for opportunities in life..

But most of all, I'm passionately lazy....so I'm forced to be efficient.
 
Hey, classical piano is my hobby too 🙂 I've been playing it since I was 5...I enjoy playing Chopin. Right now I'm on a digital piano due to space limitations...I plan to buy a really nice grand once I graduate 😍
 
Muscle cars.....hence my handle. Here is my last piece. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2073647/1
Unfortunately had to sell her to concentrate on pharmacy school...bad move

Sweet... I had a 69 Camaro when in HS.. bought it for $4000, sold it for $4000. 411 real end ...50's in the back. Holley db carb, Edelbrock Manifolds..some racing cam. Chrome Cragers.. and Chromed out under the hood. Good Lord..what would that be worth today.
 
Hey, classical piano is my hobby too 🙂 I've been playing it since I was 5...I enjoy playing Chopin. Right now I'm on a digital piano due to space limitations...I plan to buy a really nice grand once I graduate 😍

Yeah..but was "Fantasy Impromptu" really written in Impromptu?
 
don't even ask.....value of the 69s is off the roof. However I like the 70-73 myself. I can tell you have good taste in autos 👍

I saw the concept Camaro at the LA Autoshow... It's awesome.. based on 69 Camaro.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When I was in high school (abt 3.5 years ago), I used to be very involved with extracurricular activities: swimming, basketball. Other passion: Music, playing guitar and bass. I played bass in our band for the high school graduation.

Once i started pharmacy school, all these passions just stopped, which actually was the way it's supposed to be because it becomes the PRIORITY now.

This Christmas, I watched a friend playing drums and her sis also played a bass. After that day, i've been thinking about going back to play music again -- still thinking abt it til now. But i'm not sure if it is possible to focus on two things altogether.

So, maybe taking time in between or just wait til school's over then i can enjoy other passions.
 
I actually had bought an acoustic guitar, but quickly found out I have no musical talent or creative bone in my body.......:laugh:
 

I would imagine that a makeup and skin care boutique promoted by a real-live pharmacist would have the potential to do pretty well in the right market.

Have you looked at how much boutique and specialty makeup costs? Its big business.

Good luck DownOnThePharm.
 
I haven't been able to start yet, but I am in the process of researching how to brew my own beer. I LOVE beer, and I can spend hours with a 6 pack of beer (REAL beer, by the way), and just try to taste all of the flavors that is in it. So once I graduate and get situated, that will be my main hobby.
 
OK, to (maybe) get this thread back on track:

My hobby right now is weight loss. I have lost 75+ pounds since the end of August. I have done this through a combination of diet and exercise. Continuing and maintaining this weight loss is the my only hobby currently. My husband is losing weight too so we can exercise together.

I used to knit and do other crafts. But no time lately.

I also used to have an Ebay business. I made several thousand dollars in a month's time a few years ago, but it was very time consuming so we're not doing that right now either.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad