So do YOU know? (specialty)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ErrantWhatever

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So do any/some/most/all of you think you know your specialty already? Anyone else get asked by non-medical types all the time? I'm leaning in the ortho direction, but I'm very open. (Parenthetical story: I mentioned I'm leaning ortho toward the end of an interview day, and one dude was like, "That makes sense." Instinctively I punched him in the face, after which he murmured, "See?" I don't get it.)

So anyway, I'm slightly terrified of the minimal exposure to the various fields we'll get, as well as the quick turn around we'll have to decide what to do with our lives. After all, it took us this long just to conclude on medicine, soooo... I'd love to use the next six months to start figuring this out, but does anyone else feel like a partial (if not total) douche following around MD's as a grown-ass man/woman? I felt like I was 16. Don't get me wrong, 16 was a great year for me, but I'd prefer not to relive it 12 years later.

Just curious how you all approach the matter.

Members don't see this ad.

So do any/some/most/all of you think you know your specialty already? Anyone else get asked by non-medical types all the time? I'm leaning in the ortho direction, but I'm very open. (Parenthetical story: I mentioned I'm leaning ortho toward the end of an interview day, and one dude was like, "That makes sense." Instinctively I punched him in the face, after which he murmured, "See?" I don't get it.)

So anyway, I'm slightly terrified of the minimal exposure to the various fields we'll get, as well as the quick turn around we'll have to decide what to do with our lives. After all, it took us this long just to conclude on medicine, soooo... I'd love to use the next six months to start figuring this out, but does anyone else feel like a partial (if not total) douche following around MD's as a grown-ass man/woman? I felt like I was 16. Don't get me wrong, 16 was a great year for me, but I'd prefer not to relive it 12 years later.

Just curious how you all approach the matter.

:laugh:

F@ck yeah! Ortho son.

I'm doing psych. So more of the getting punched crowd unfortunately. But I love the ortho mentality. Here come the ortho guys. Studly, laughing and high fivinng some tale of ribaldry.

A meek what's up fellas! From me, right after getting shushed by my nerd leader. A look like I violated some natural law. A goat chatting up lions. On their regal 5 minute rounds. Bones-a-broke-a-we-fixa-da-bones notes done in seconds flat each. And....back to the mancave for more high fives. I imagine myself there.

There's an element of breakfast club truths to the medical specialties.

For ortho it's good to know early. You gotta get some research, nail the boards, and make some connections.

As far as following around someone more knowledgable than you. Awkward at first but you get used to it. My internal medicine team rolls like 10 plus deep. We gang rush a patient on rounds.

So many things that are awkward in life--like your fingers in geandma's @sshole....ok bad example....--become nonchalant in your work.

Last edited:
:laugh:

F@ck yeah! Ortho son.

I'm doing psych. So more of the getting punched crowd unfortunately. But I love the ortho mentality. Here come the ortho guys. Studly, laughing and high fivinng some tale of ribaldry.

A meek what's up fellas! From me, right after getting shushed by my nerd leader. A look like I violated some natural law. A goat chatting up lions. On their regal 5 minute rounds. Bones-a-broke-a-we-fixa-da-bones notes done in seconds flat each. And....back to the mancave for more high fives. I imagine myself there.

Bahaha!! Well done. Also, while you're studying psych you may benefit from a perusal of the literature on mancrushes. There's some top-notch stuff out there. ;)

For ortho it's good to know early. You gotta get some research, nail the boards, and make some connections.

Yeah, exactly! I've set myself up pretty well so far--should get two ortho papers out of this year and have built some solid contacts at two great residency programs in my region. My buddies who are in residency now are all like, "Dude, don't go ortho. The lifestyle is so horrible." Makes me think.

So many things that are awkward in life--like your fingers in geandma's @sshole....ok bad example....--become nonchalant in your work.

Yes, particularly when that's how you spend your free time already. So. Anyway...:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Bahaha!! Well done. Also, while you're studying psych you may benefit from a perusal of the literature on mancrushes. There's some top-notch stuff out there. ;)

Yeah, exactly! I've set myself up pretty well so far--should get two ortho papers out of this year and have built some solid contacts at two great residency programs in my region. My buddies who are in residency now are all like, "Dude, don't go ortho. The lifestyle is so horrible." Makes me think.

Yes, particularly when that's how you spend your free time already. So. Anyway...:thumbup:

For sure ortho is up there in terms of rigor. You'll work your @ss off until you no longer remember what your life was like. And then it'll go on like that for years. And then you'll finish and be able to make the schedule you want. And make top doc money.

It's a tough call to make.

It's a future state that is magnified beyond the normal medical mindset. 6 years. A very tough 6 years.

I could've only done something like that at age 17-22. My moments to myself. To feel unpressured in time. Are just too valuable to me now. When your living all the time for the future you don't notice all your passing nows. Gone before you know it.

I know too much to be a sucker for that. Sounds cocky. But it's just how I feel about it.

Good luck. Thanks for the laughs.

Ortho for me as well.

For sure ortho is up there in terms of rigor. You'll work your @ss off until you no longer remember what your life was like. And then it'll go on like that for years. And then you'll finish and be able to make the schedule you want. And make top doc money.

It's a tough call to make.

It's a future state that is magnified beyond the normal medical mindset. 6 years. A very tough 6 years.

I could've only done something like that at age 17-22. My moments to myself. To feel unpressured in time. Are just too valuable to me now. When your living all the time for the future you don't notice all your passing nows. Gone before you know it.

I know too much to be a sucker for that. Sounds cocky. But it's just how I feel about it.

Good luck. Thanks for the laughs.

Yup. Good thoughts--appreciated. Same!

Since this appears to be exclusively a pre-ortho thread, I guess I'll join in. The insane workload is actually one of the reasons ortho appeals to me. I've had plenty of jobs with 80+ hour work weeks. Anything less and I get bored and restless and start posting threads about independently studying biochem.

you guys will likely change your mind.

and OP there is no need to be terrified by the minimum exposure. yes, you don't get a lot, but i am through my first semester and i know for certain that I am not interested in working with cancer everyday, nor immunology, nor radiology. Sure that could all change, but i am one semester in and I know what I dislike. So you don't really go into your 3rd and 4th year blind. at least you have an idea what you don't like.

Since this appears to be exclusively a pre-ortho thread, I guess I'll join in. The insane workload is actually one of the reasons ortho appeals to me. I've had plenty of jobs with 80+ hour work weeks. Anything less and I get bored and restless and start posting threads about independently studying biochem.

Funny. I definitely understand the sentiment. I've worked several boring, 9-5 jobs over the years, and they were not the happiest days. I regularly found myself lifting weights twice a day and reading economics books at B&N, just out of boredom. However, I've also come to appreciate interests can change w/ marriage/family. For instance, once upon a time in law school I was very interested in international and transactional law--was/am a linguaphile who also is into travel. Problem: I discovered a bunch of 30 and 40-something guys who were like, "I know exactly what you're after w/ this, but seriously, spending 3-4 nights/week in some hotel overseas away from your wife and kids is a horrible way to live. Definitely a single man's/woman's game."

...unless you're one of JourneyAgent's asexuals (see other non-trad post on dating), then you'll be good...

you guys will likely change your mind.

and OP there is no need to be terrified by the minimum exposure. yes, you don't get a lot, but i am through my first semester and i know for certain that I am not interested in working with cancer everyday, nor immunology, nor radiology. Sure that could all change, but i am one semester in and I know what I dislike. So you don't really go into your 3rd and 4th year blind. at least you have an idea what you don't like.

Hey, I appreciate that. Great point. I shadowed MD's in 4 specialties during my post-bac era, and one or two days told me about everything I needed to know regarding "fit." Out of curiosity, how do you get exposure to these specialties during pre-clinical years? Shadowing and info in coursework?

Either GP or Med onco for me. Although I'm really interested in onco cuz of a class I took in UG, and am more interested in research aspects =/

Of course there is always the chance I could change my mind ... however, ortho for me as well. Subspecialty in the hand/wrist/arm.

I know the residency is an absolute killer, but I actually look forward to it!

Not surgery, not psychiatry. That's about all I'm willing to guess.

Of course there is always the chance I could change my mind ... however, ortho for me as well. Subspecialty in the hand/wrist/arm.

I know the residency is an absolute killer, but I actually look forward to it!

You could always do a gen surg residency and then hand fellowship. To the best of my knowledge, that's the only type of ortho (hand) that you can be without doing ortho residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep in mind the difference between guessing and getting out there and investigating. If you know one thing intimately that also becomes a turn key. A benchmark for comparisons, a lighthouse of insight.

I knew peds and ED like an old piece of chewing gum. Not necessarily the physician's mind. But her circumstance, her moods, her stresses, her obstacles, her apparent satisfactions. The more immersive your experience the better your extrapolations get.

Shadowing is the shallowest of perspectives. But still potentially useful. I ruled out radiology after 2 interest group meeting with the rads dept.

Don't forget you're grown. So being comfortable in your skin and using your intuition can illuminate possibilities and rule some out at unexpected intervals.

Your quest has already begun. To find the right mate for the right reasons.

Let know one divert you from this discovery for yourself. Fools abound.

Last edited:
You could always do a gen surg residency and then hand fellowship. To the best of my knowledge, that's the only type of ortho (hand) that you can be without doing ortho residency.

Plastics to hand is far more common than general surgery to hand. I think gen surg to hand is very unusual actually--as it should be--I don't understand how general surgeons go from torso surgeons to hand/forearm surgeons. Plastics hand people do different stuff than ortho hand although there is certainly overlap.

As far as the original question, I thought I wanted to do anesthesia, ortho, emergency medicine, IR, at various times during my education. Having been a paramedic for about 11 years prior to med school, one would think I'd evolve right into emergency medicine or anesthesiology. Now in the second half of 3rd year, and it looks like I'm going to be a pediatrician (and will likely do critical care or emergency medicine fellowship).

Point is, about 90% of entering med students change their mind, and there's no shame in doing so. You might think you know now, but stay open minded and try to take something from each clinical experience/rotation you do.

I have been so focused for the last five years on getting into Med School that thinking about a specialty has been beyond my reality. It rests at such a lofty height that I feel like I may be gazing upon the Holy Grail :)

Ortho: "Me have hammer, me fix bone."

Just kidding...sort of.

OP, DON'T worry about what to pick before med school. True, you sort of get forced to choose a specialty before you've really seen them all. Also, in a particular rotation, you might have one attending or resident who just makes your life miserable thus tainting your image of a specialty that otherwise might have been the perfect fit.

However, during the M1/M2 summer is a great time to shadow docs. You won't feel so akward being a grown-assed person following around a doc like a puppy. Instead, you'll be the medical student/student doctor/"doctor." The patients and the attendings will take you much more seriously and you'll get a much more robust experience as the attendings will interact with you more as a med student.

I've really enjoyed reading all of the info and perspectives folks have. Follow up: how much does (should?) lifestyle play into specialty choice? Traditionally, I've really needed to be crazy interested in something, after which I have been able to deal with the lifestyle issues that accompany it. However, I've got some close friends with very similar career histories who are now just starting residency in their early thirties, and they seem to value lifestyle far more than when they were starting med school in their mid/late-twenties. Part of it is possibly the "you can be happy and sufficiently interested in multiple specialties" issue.

What do you think on the matter?

I'm strongly leaning to Neurology or Psychiatry, but I'm open-minded about Internal Medicine. Only reason surgery is completely out the door is because of the time commitment. Things like dermatology, radiology, anesthesia (except pain which I can do with neuro), EM, FM, ENT, pathology, etc. don't interest me whatsoever for a career.

I'm keeping an open mind and just focusing on getting through school at this point. If anything I would say EM just because I have been around the emergency medicine field for the past seven years. Until I get exposure to other fields I can't really say what else I will like.

Sent from my ADR6350 using SDN Mobile

I've really enjoyed reading all of the info and perspectives folks have. Follow up: how much does (should?) lifestyle play into specialty choice? Traditionally, I've really needed to be crazy interested in something, after which I have been able to deal with the lifestyle issues that accompany it. However, I've got some close friends with very similar career histories who are now just starting residency in their early thirties, and they seem to value lifestyle far more than when they were starting med school in their mid/late-twenties. Part of it is possibly the "you can be happy and sufficiently interested in multiple specialties" issue.

What happens is stuff happens to people. Such that when some haughty people talk about the grandeur of your potential crucifixion you become less likely to obey out of compulsive habit.

I also submit that if you need some outside force to dictate to you what to think about or do with your time 80 plus hours of the week in order that you might not be faced with the awesome responsibility of deciding for yourself...that...you might consider shooting yourself.

Pick something you're going to love doing, because being a resident is going to require you to do it 80 hours per week for 3+ years. Lord, residency is miserable enough anyway even if you do like your specialty, so please don't pick a specialty you know you don't like because you are thinking about lifestyle. You can have a good lifestyle in any specialty if you're willing to take a significant paycut and/or work in a nontraditional type of job. An MD/DO without a residency is basically useless, but once you're BE/BC, you can subspecialize, or do a nonclinical job, or take a part time job, or lots of other things besides just working full time as a clinician.

Pick something you're going to love doing, because being a resident is going to require you to do it 80 hours per week for 3+ years. Lord, residency is miserable enough anyway even if you do like your specialty, so please don't pick a specialty you know you don't like because you are thinking about lifestyle. You can have a good lifestyle in any specialty if you're willing to take a significant paycut and/or work in a nontraditional type of job. An MD/DO without a residency is basically useless, but once you're BE/BC, you can subspecialize, or do a nonclinical job, or take a part time job, or lots of other things besides just working full time as a clinician.

True. Liking the mate you choose is truly the most important thing. But what if you like a few the same or close?

I'd say take the laid back chick in that case. Everytime.

Initial interest was Ophthalmology (wanted to be an optometrist for a long time). Now my interest lies more in OB/GYN (yes, a guy interested in OB...) but I realize that when school starts, and especially when 3rd year starts, I'll likely change my mind all the time. EM has some appeal to me.

The things that I feel I'll likely never pursue include but are not limited to Psych, FM, IM, Derm, Rads, gen surgery, and anesthesia.

Initial interest was Ophthalmology (wanted to be an optometrist for a long time). Now my interest lies more in OB/GYN (yes, a guy interested in OB...) but I realize that when school starts, and especially when 3rd year starts, I'll likely change my mind all the time. EM has some appeal to me.

The things that I feel I'll likely never pursue include but are not limited to Psych, FM, IM, Derm, Rads, gen surgery, and anesthesia.

Yeah man. I think OB really is fascinating. As is ID. Somewhat similar actually. A 9 month parasitic infection with molecular warfare for resources. Eclampsia is an odd and fascinating problem. Serious as a heart attack.

The uterus can bleed out a patient in minutes. Unbelievable amounts of blood packed into that strongest of all human muscles.

It's just the whole actual alien movie set thing. With exploding abdomens and perineums. Wiggling, writhing, soaking wetness. I can't do something that f@cks up my shoes. If a mask, snorkel, and flippers is suitable attire, I'm out. See you for consults. Interesting at a distance.

And eyes. All day cutting eyes....shiver. And people think psychiatrists are weird.:)

What happens is stuff happens to people. Such that when some haughty people talk about the grandeur of your potential crucifixion you become less likely to obey out of compulsive habit.

I also submit that if you need some outside force to dictate to you what to think about or do with your time 80 plus hours of the week in order that you might not be faced with the awesome responsibility of deciding for yourself...that...you might consider shooting yourself.

Hahaha. "Dictate." No, what I've come to appreciate over the years is that, despite my best efforts, I may not always have all the information to make the best decision. Perhaps you will learn that too before helping psych patients.

#douchechill

Yeah man. I think OB really is fascinating. As is ID. Somewhat similar actually. A 9 month parasitic infection with molecular warfare for resources. Eclampsia is an odd and fascinating problem. Serious as a heart attack.

The uterus can bleed out a patient in minutes. Unbelievable amounts of blood packed into that strongest of all human muscles.

It's just the whole actual alien movie set thing. With exploding abdomens and perineums. Wiggling, writhing, soaking wetness. I can't do something that f@cks up my shoes. If a mask, snorkel, and flippers is suitable attire, I'm out. See you for consults. Interesting at a distance.

And eyes. All day cutting eyes....shiver. And people think psychiatrists are weird.:)

Haha I do understand why people stray away from it and I may do my 3rd year rotation and quickly decide it's not for me, but as of now. Totally awesome. I realize being on call can become very tasking, but it kind of appeals to me. Nice balance of clinic, surgery, and excitement as just about anything can happen in each delivery.

When I shadowed an Optho (only for about 4 months), I loved it. Got a little sick with the first cataract surgery, but I was fine with everything after that. Pretty amazing stuff to have someone walk out of your clinic seeing better than when they walked in.

FM, peds or psych. Not sure how residency goes but wouldn't mind FM and peds if at all possible.

Haha I do understand why people stray away from it and I may do my 3rd year rotation and quickly decide it's not for me, but as of now. Totally awesome. I realize being on call can become very tasking, but it kind of appeals to me. Nice balance of clinic, surgery, and excitement as just about anything can happen in each delivery.

When I shadowed an Optho (only for about 4 months), I loved it. Got a little sick with the first cataract surgery, but I was fine with everything after that. Pretty amazing stuff to have someone walk out of your clinic seeing better than when they walked in.

Ophthalmology isn't so bad - good lifestyle for both general and subspecialists (cornea, retina, oculoplastics, glaucoma, etc). Not for me, and I have seen quite a few intravitreal injections, etc., which people get really weirded out by, even though the patients all get topical and even sub-conj anesthetic at times.

In my experience, you figure out if you "fit" a particular specialty by shadowing/rotating through it.

Hahaha. "Dictate." No, what I've come to appreciate over the years is that, despite my best efforts, I may not always have all the information to make the best decision. Perhaps you will learn that too before helping psych patients.

#douchechill

I'm not following the references. But my position is that you already have all the information you need. You just need a few experiences to illicit it. Your surgery rotation can show you whether you really want to roll like that for 6 years. Although its certainly possible to already know.

I think my position is profoundly undouchey in that it doesn't presuppose medical hierarchy on the most important decision of your career. Which is what i 'm doucheriffing against.

Oncology.

Not so sure about whether it will be medical, radiation, or surgical (unlikely), but still feeling really strongly led towards being an Onco Doc, and being involved in clinical research in that arena.

Mukherjee's book likely put the nail in the coffin.

Psych or Neurology...which people some people thing is neurosurgery, even after distinguishing the two...confuses the **** out of me.

At this point (one semester in) I'm leaning Psych. Primary care could work, or maybe Neuro or Anesthesia. I have some permanent pain in my hands, though, so anything too-procedural is a no unless I can learn how to use my feet to do it.

So do any/some/most/all of you think you know your specialty already? Anyone else get asked by non-medical types all the time?

Get asked this ALL THE TIME. It didn't used to, and I know it shouldn't, but it really aggravates me.

I'm leaning toward ophthalmology bc that is what I have the most exposure to, specifically LASIK and cataract surgery, but after that I have no idea. I want to keep an open mind to everything else that's out there.

So do any/some/most/all of you think you know your specialty already?

I'm pretty sure I'd like to go into family medicine or some other primary-care specialty. But my wife cautioned me that she felt the same way at the beginning of medical school, and now she's a general surgeon. She says that a lot of people think they know what they want to do, and then it changes because something else will grab you. Although, I have to say that since I'l probably be a minimum of 44 before I'm done with med school, general surgery would have to grab pretty damn hard since I'd be into my 50s before I could start practicing. :)

Get asked this ALL THE TIME. It didn't used to, and I know it shouldn't, but it really aggravates me.

Hahaha. Yeah, it can be pretty funny sometimes. I think 1) it is a natural follow-up question to, "So, med school now? Nice..." and 2) maybe since we're non-trads, people assume that a specific specialty inspired us to go back. Just trying to give the benefit of the doubt. On the other hand, some jackass uncles just love to throw in the, "Well since it took you this long to settle on medicine, maybe you should start thinking about specialties now" line. Ahhhh extended familly...

I'm pretty sure I'd like to go into family medicine or some other primary-care specialty. But my wife cautioned me that she felt the same way at the beginning of medical school, and now she's a general surgeon. She says that a lot of people think they know what they want to do, and then it changes because something else will grab you. Although, I have to say that since I'l probably be a minimum of 44 before I'm done with med school, general surgery would have to grab pretty damn hard since I'd be into my 50s before I could start practicing. :)

Very interesting, and good for you for going back! Also, I don't know about you, but when general surgery grabs me really hard it just creeps me out more than anything... :p

:thumbup:

As for me, I'm on the fence about Gen Surg and Ortho... though I have worked in mental health and enjoy neurology too. I know for certain that I do not want to go into Peds or OB/GYN.

I am thinking that I might like Emergency Medicine or anesthesia. I know I don't really want to go into OB. I am an RN and I didn't ever want to do OB as a nurse and have mostly worked in acute care areas so hope to stay in that type of arena. I am going to try and keep an open mind though once I get into med school but def not OB lol!

Spine Surgery is both an orthopaedic and neurosurgical field. Additionally, foot & ankle issues may also be treated by podiatric surgeons.

As an aside, I think Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation should be something to consider as well if you are really interested in neuromuscular orthopaedic medicine. A good portion of PM&R fellowships can be pretty procedure heavy (e.g. EMG/NCS, spinal/peripheral joint/soft-tissue injections, Ultrasound). It is a 4yr residency (compared to ortho's 5yrs) and pays a median national salary of $224K (data from survey in 2011).

About Ob/Gyn: Fearful anticipation fueled my aversion to this rotation during my 3rd year. However, once I started up in the field I found that I actually liked it a lot. The patient population was, for the most part, young and healthy and presented with a focal "problem." There is also good variety with clinic, OR and L&D. Downsides are high litigation and long/unpredictable work hours. Overall, a great specialty that I heavily contemplated throughout MS-III.

Last edited:
Spine Surgery is both an orthopaedic and neurosurgical field.

As an aside, I think Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation should be something to consider as well if you are really interested in neuromuscular orthopaedic medicine. A good portion of PM&R fellowships can be pretty procedure heavy (e.g. EMG/NCS, spinal/peripheral joint/soft-tissue injections, Ultrasound). It is a 4yr residency (compared to ortho's 5yrs) and pays a median national salary of $224K (data from survey in 2011).

About Ob/Gyn: Fearful anticipation fueled my aversion to this rotation during my 3rd year. However, once I started up in the field I found that I actually liked it a lot. The patient population was, for the most part, young and healthy and presenting with a focal "problem." There is also good variety with clinic, OR and L&D. Downsides are high litigation and long/unpredictable work hours. Overall, a great specialty that I heavily contemplated throughout MS-III.

Great post! Perfect example of why we should take an entrepreneurial approach to seeking our careers. Most of us would never have known what PM&R is before passing it by unaware as an option.

Spine Surgery is both an orthopaedic and neurosurgical field. Additionally, foot & ankle issues may also be treated by podiatric surgeons.

About Ob/Gyn: Fearful anticipation fueled my aversion to this rotation during my 3rd year. However, once I started up in the field I found that I actually liked it a lot. The patient population was, for the most part, young and healthy and presented with a focal "problem." There is also good variety with clinic, OR and L&D. Downsides are high litigation and long/unpredictable work hours. Overall, a great specialty that I heavily contemplated throughout MS-III.

Great post! Perfect example of why we should take an entrepreneurial approach to seeking our careers. Most of us would never have known what PM&R is before passing it by unaware as an option.

+1--informative post, thanks! :thumbup:

Peds, maybe neonatology:oops:

Props to you, I have respect for every peds doc out there. For me, ENT or Radiology interest me. My wife is an audiologist and its cool to hear about the procedures their ENT's do and how much they help people. Radiology I would probably sub-spec in interverntional.

Since it seems appropriate, my doc sent this to me recently (sorry for the supersized image):
12+medical+specialty+stereotypes+full+%2528new%2529.jpg

I'm pretty sure I'd like to go into family medicine or some other primary-care specialty. ........... Although, I have to say that since I'l probably be a minimum of 44 before I'm done with med school, general surgery would have to grab pretty damn hard since I'd be into my 50s before I could start practicing. :)

I'll be 43 when I finish medical school. I find myself feeling hesitant to go into something with >5 years of training because of how old I'll be when I start practicing.:eek:

I love the principles/concept of family medicine, but I am fascinated by oncology. Peds, IM, and OB all have oncology fellowships, but FM doesn't.

There are specialties that I like (now), but I figure I'll have to get in there and figure out what I'm good at and what I like. After that, I'll need to look at time constraints and other factors and make a decision that works for me and my family.

Been working as an EM scribe for my gap year. It's completely changed my view. What seems like chaos when they wheel in a STEMI or trauma is really a beautifully orchestrated operation. Then you have to figure out if the abdominal pain down the hall is shopping for drugs or a true emergency. Don't forget about the COPD'er on bipap, the broken arm, and the confused old lady!

With that said, I'm not the biggest fan of "jack of all trades master of none" aspect of the job. I also fully realize I'll most likely change my mind in medical school. It's going to be fun.